Hello from relative newbie

92Esquire

Reaction score
Handicap
6.02*10^23
I'm a mid-30's guy living in Knoxville, TN. I'm pretty new to golf, although I played a bit in Jr. High/High School. Lemme explain...

Some of my earliest memories are chasing a wiffle ball around with some type of iron with my grandparents on a trip to Arizona when I was about 5. I've been told that when I got back, I wanted to golf all the time with my dad. My dad was a member of a country club in northern MN, but soon after he started taking me out, another member pitched a fit and got the board to enact a "no kids" rule on the course. My dad quit the club.

When I was in Jr. High, we lived about 5 miles from the local Muni, and my parents would buy a Jr. Season pass and a locker every summer. They'd send me off on my bike to head out to the golf club, where I played with my dad's Wilson blades, dove in the lake for balls on the 5th hole, and caddied a few times. I stopped playing about the time I got a car, and the last time I'd held a club was my senior year of high school, when some friends and I snuck out to play the Muni at 5:30 in the morning before they opened after graduation.

This past summer, my wife and I were driving by a local golf shop, and they were having a tent sale. She asked me if it wasn't time for me to take up golf for my career. I laughed and said "no way". I've avoided career golf like the plague - in Florida it was disgustingly rampant and I wasn't going to do that. The following Monday I called a good friend who I know golfs to tell him the story and get a laugh. He said "Don't laugh, I'm playing in a tournament with the General Manager tomorrow." So I bought clubs.

It turned out that I really liked playing, as did my wife. We both bought sets, got lessons, and joined a practice facility. I probably went 3 times a week, and putted at home almost every night. My wife didn't have as much time to practice, but she still came out most weekends.

Golf gave us our first "grown up" vacation in 14 years of marriage ("grown up" defined as more than a long weekend and not involving any family). We spent 4 days (one rained out) golfing in Myrtle Beach this past August. It was extremely cool.

Anyway, that's me. I've found I like Bettinardi putters best, and am kind of split between Nike and Mizuno gear.

My WITB:
Nike Sumo Sasquatch 460 Driver, 10 1/2 degree
Nike Sumo 3 wood
Nike Sumo 5 wood
Ben Hogan Edge CFTi hybrid 3
Mizuno MX-19 irons, 4 - GW
Mizuno MP-R 56 degree wedge
Mizuno/Bettinardi C-03 putter

My wife's WITB:
Mizuno Sora set (Driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, 7 hybrid, 6 - SW irons)
Lux Custom "are you SERIOUS!" putter

Welcome, sounds like you've got a great golfing career ahead of you, with someone to share it with.

Welcome to THP.

Welcome! And I love Tennessee! Nicest people in the world!

Welcome to THP. I lived in Clarksville, TN for a while, TN is a beautiful state.

Welcome to THP 92Esquire.

That's a great story. Can't believe your pop's CC enacted a no kids rule. That's supposed to be the advantage of belonging to a CC -- getting the whole family involved in activities together, with the chance of producing great future golfers while you're at it.

Welcome to THP. I'm spending time in Memphis, TN these days. Great BBQ, even for one who cut his teeth of Texas BBQ.

Welcome aboard, nice intro.

Welcome, and it's great to hear you're playing with your wife. We rather like nine & dine on Sunday afternoons.

Welcome to THP

glad your found our little site... the best one out there IMHO

Welcome.

Welcome aboard!

Back