Does Driver brand matter?

Frankline

Reaction score
Handicap
Currently I play an old R7 quad, I think that my club has gone dead. I went to the GolfSmith shop to test out some new drivers. I hit about a dozen different set ups and they have the launch monitor to show projected ball flight.

The computer and the guy at the store suggest I get a MacGregor M85T 9.5 degree stiff. Am I an idiot because I still want the Mizuno MP-630 Fast Track because it "felt better", even thought the launch monitor showed 15 yard less distance ?

Sure brand matters. Does it matter to everybody? No. But just like brand matters in autos, or anything else, brand can matter. Different technology is used, some like some, while others like others.

By the way, you can ask the sales person next time if he is suggesting MacGregor because Golfsmith owns the brand and therefore can make more money from each sale, or if the numbers are saying its the best driver for you.

You're not an idiot. If you really like the Mizuno, then get the Mizuno. If you are not confident with the MacGregor, you will hit it for a two months and then go back and buy the driver you wanted from the start.

go with whatever works best for you. Brand is a preference.

I think there are two distinct types of people who play golf. Neither is any better than the other. Person A will play a brand because they like the brand and think it is the best for them. Person B will play any brand as long as they get the best results. I think in our society person A is far more prevalent than person B. However, I think of this site we have far more B's than A's.

Personally, I would play the club that gave me an extra 15 yards assuming it doesn't cost me accuracy. I can learn to hit a driver with a harsher feel, I can't learn to add 15 yards to my current driver. There are not many people who could pick up another 15 yards by simply changing out their sticks- so I would absolutely jump on that opportunity.

All of that said, there is a principle in medicine called the placebo effect.... what you expect to happen will happen. We have to test all of our medications against placebo so that way we know what is actually attributable to the drug and what is the result of the human minds beliefs. This applies to both clinical response and to side effects as well. The same thing happens in sports- If you hate taylormade and hit one of their drivers, you are going to think it feels harsh, or subjectively feel it wasnt as good. If you LOVE callaway the opposite will be true. It is how the human body is wired. It isn't wrong, it just is. The same thing happens with those silly powerbands everyone is wearing. It has nothing to do with the microchip and everything to do with your mind.

Silly question for you though- Did you take in your R7 and hit it on the monitor with the other drivers? I always want a "know" entity when testing. If I am hitting a new driver 300 on the simulator and then take out my driver and am getting 310 I know that something is off.

go with whatever works best for you. Brand is a preference.

Agreed.

If you were to take the 2 clubs and remove all markings from them and make them unidentifiable between the 2, which one would you pick? For me, it would be the one that felt the best, not the one with the "better name".

RxGus, I did take in my current driver, and the monitor said that it was the second best choice, next to the MacGregor. Last three times on the course it has played "dead" with my 3 wood going further. So I also have a dose of skepticism in that I can't believe that it was all of the sudden worked in the store. And I just looked up on line, JB you were not kidding about being a store brand. I think that I will take placebo.

By the way, you can ask the sales person next time if he is suggesting MacGregor because Golfsmith owns the brand and therefore can make more money from each sale, or if the numbers are saying its the best driver for you.

Bingo!

Just make sure to bring in your R7 and compare. Do this multiple times over a few days. No two days have the same swing.

RxGus, I did take in my current driver, and the monitor said that it was the second best choice, next to the MacGregor. Last three times on the course it has played "dead" with my 3 wood going further. So I also have a dose of skepticism in that I can't believe that it was all of the sudden worked in the store. And I just looked up on line, JB you were not kidding about being a store brand. I think that I will take placebo.

Just my personal opinion, but I really don't think that drivers ever go "bad". At least, not with the number of hits that a normal amateur puts on them. I do know that once a driver gets in your head you are sunk... gotta get a new one or else it is bad news. Putters are the same way.

Brand matters when it comes to your confidence. You need something that will give you confidence when you stand over it. Beyond that I'm convinced that all major brands have maxed out the specs and all deliver nearly the same MOI, etc...

Never seen a driver go dead until it actually cracks, I could be wrong though.

Sure brand matters. Does it matter to everybody? No. But just like brand matters in autos, or anything else, brand can matter. Different technology is used, some like some, while others like others.

That's exactly why he's recommending that driver. I work at GS and the commision on Macgregor is 5x that of non propietary brands. Don't get me wrong, MacGregor makes some good stuff but their drivers are turds in my opinion. Their putters, VIP irons, and VIP wedges are all solid but I wouldn't touch the drivers. If you don't like it, just tell them you're not interested in MacGregor drivers and move on to some other options.

I really don't think the vectors they use are all that accurate in relation to playing outdoors but they are good for comparing one club to another so I'd go with whatever gives you the best numbers.

Wonder if there is a smallish crack in the head of your current driver that you have not been able to detect as yet. Can you tell if the sound of a solid center strike has changed? I would think that if you had a hairline crack that you have not detected as yet the sound of a solid strike would be different.

Wonder if there is a smallish crack in the head of your current driver that you have not been able to detect as yet. Can you tell if the sound of a solid center strike has changed? I would think that if you had a hairline crack that you have not detected as yet the sound of a solid strike would be different.

I would think that difference would show on a simulator though...

Brand matters when it comes to your confidence. You need something that will give you confidence when you stand over it. Beyond that I'm convinced that all major brands have maxed out the specs and all deliver nearly the same MOI, etc...

I totally agree. Even with the same brand the shape, color or sound can make a change of confidence. I switched my driver twice within this summer. Now, I am satisfied with my driver, but it cost a lot.

I'm not a big believer in the distance or ball flight on the launch monitors in the stores, and especially not when the salesman is standing there. I have my own eperience when looking at new irons early this year to tell me that they can play with the numbers.
The most important part of your post is:

I still want the Mizuno MP-630 Fast Track because it "felt better", even thought the launch monitor showed 15 yard less distance ?

You have already decided that you like the feel of the Mizzy better. Go hit it again, and see if you still like the feel. And then go hit it again. Each time comparing it to other drivers. Pay no mind to the numbers on the monitor, and concentrate solely on feel. Just my $0.02

I think you should go with what feels best in your hands. It's not always about how far or high fast you can swing a particular club. I prefer one that can provide a better stat and that is fairways in regulation. If a driver really feels good to you, looks good at address, and puts out vibes of confidence then it's a no brainer. Long and in the rough is not as much fun as consistant, solid, and confidence with the big stick.

This is why demo-ing clubs indoors sucks. There is always a little bit of doubt left. On the other hand, this is why the THP Outings are awesome :)

Not sure if any one cares, but I finally have an update.
I have hit just about every new driver a dozen times and the guys at the GolfSmith are not doubt sick of seeing me there and not buying. I just could not get used to hitting away with these huge new club faces that felt to me like an unresponsive slab of aluminum siding. Even with a driver I prefer to be able to feel which direction the ball went even if I never see it off the tee. I can not believe the PGA let's professional golfers use those things.

So I bought an 'almost new' 2005 R7 Quad driver. I had been playing an R7 Quad with 10.5 degree and Regular Flex shaft, stepped up to a 9.5 degree with a stiff shaft, was about $70. Holy smokes does it feel great. Hitting the same 2 in 10 totally erratic shots that I am used to, but the stiff shaft lets me really swing for the fences and I easily added the 15-20 yards that I was looking for in a new drive.
Just goes to show that you guys were right, what ever feels best plays best, doesn't matter what the brand, or even the age of the club is.

I have hit just about every new driver a dozen times and the guys at the GolfSmith are not doubt sick of seeing me there and not buying. I just could not get used to hitting away with these huge new club faces that felt to me like an unresponsive slab of aluminum siding. Even with a driver I prefer to be able to feel which direction the ball went even if I never see it off the tee. I can not believe the PGA let's professional golfers use those things.

So I bought an 'almost new' 2005 R7 Quad driver. I had been playing an R7 Quad with 10.5 degree and Regular Flex shaft, stepped up to a 9.5 degree with a stiff shaft, was about $70. Holy smokes does it feel great. Hitting the same 2 in 10 totally erratic shots that I am used to, but the stiff shaft lets me really swing for the fences and I easily added the 15-20 yards that I was looking for in a new drive.
Just goes to show that you guys were right, what ever feels best plays best, doesn't matter what the brand, or even the age of the club is.

glad to hear the R7 works for you, my brother still games it and he loves it.

Never seen a driver go dead until it actually cracks, I could be wrong though.

The driver I have that came with my bag set is cracked and I dont think its dead. I pulled it out of the closet to hit it the other day to see what would happen and where it sounds dead and soft I hit it straight and about 280. If it weren't cracked I dont think I would have bought my used ping.

Good story. Mr. Blind 9 loved/loves that club. One problem with going to these fitting is that you never know what brand is being pushed that month with inside incentives or additional bonuses. Good choice for the driver and way to utilize your fitting info.

Glad you wound up selecting the club that felt best for you! :banana:

Going to Golfsmith and asking their opinion is like going to a car lot and asking theirs.....if you go in the last week of the month and hit clubs and ask for a suggestion, then wait and week go back in hit the same clubs and ask for a suggestion, you will get different answers.....know why....cause their incentives changed to different clubs!

Back