Curious to hear your opinion

BigLeftyinAZ

Reaction score
The question is- How do you tell if a good golfer is having a bad day or a bad golfer having a good day?

I have my thoughts ,but want to hear yours first.

A lot of the time you can tell by reactions after a shot and overall during a round. Good golfers get upset at things that a bad golfer would be excted about. A good golfer might be upset with a drive in the fairway because they know they didn't catch it all where a bad golfer has to hit an extraordinary shot and will be excited at the same result. Same for approach shots. I see a lot of good golfers hit a green and be disgusted with the shot because it wasn't in the right spot, but a lesser player gets excided because they never hit greens.

Other than that, I think if you are playing with one or the other, you should be able to tell based on the extremes. If a good golfer is having a bad day, they will still be able to make a few pars and birdies and hit some great shots. At which point you can see that this person knows what they are doing. When they hit 3 bad shots but get up-and-down from a tough bunker, you can tell they are pretty good. They will just have a few more bad shots than they normally do.

The bad golfer will still hit some awful shots that will show you they are not very good, and the good shots won't be great. Sure if they are having a great day, they might not be as plentiful, but when bad shots are really bad, that is a sign of a bad player. I also think it would be hard for a bad golfer to have a great day without being a little lucky too. If you are playing with them, you would probably notice the lucky breaks. Stuff like a bounce off a tree into the fairway, or a long putt that happens to roll in.

By watching em swing.

What is # of beers consumed....

Golf questions for $300 Alex.....

By watching em swing.

Swing doesn't tell all.I've seen some awful swings that can score.Even though it may be awful,it is consistent and very playable

By the number of different short games shots it looks like the have in their bag. If you see a golfer able to hit a bump and run, a flop, a skip and a stop, and a decent bunker shot, they generally have game. If it looks like they are playing to manage the course is usually a good indicator, too.

Kevin

Back