Hitting off the heal

bogeyme

The Golf GODS hate me
Reaction score
Handicap
High
When I was trying out some irons that I was looking to buy I noticed (thanks to the tape on the clubface) that I was hitting a lot of shots off the heal of the club. What is most likely the cause of this? Am I standing too far/too close from the ball, is it possibly the swing plane, or could it be something completely different? I know it's probably hard to determine without actually seeing my swing but any help would be nice. I was hitting Callaway x-20's and x-22's into the net and it seemed that the flight was still pretty straight but I'm guessing that is because of the forgiveness of the clubs.

I was hitting the 5 iron if that makes any difference.

Thanks for your help.

My first guess assuming that the swing repeats is the club is either too long or too upright for you. Are they new or used clubs and what were the specs. The other causes for heel hits are many. You could be late with the release of the club head through the hitting zone. You could have the ball position too far forward catching it late in the swing. You could be swinging too flat and catching it on a very in to out part of your swing. I am sorry to say it is all guesses with the exception of the fitting part. That is the miss with clubs that are too long and too upright.

My first guess assuming that the swing repeats is the club is either too long or too upright for you. Are they new or used clubs and what were the specs. The other causes for heel hits are many. You could be late with the release of the club head through the hitting zone. You could have the ball position too far forward catching it late in the swing. You could be swinging too flat and catching it on a very in to out part of your swing. I am sorry to say it is all guesses with the exception of the fitting part. That is the miss with clubs that are too long and too upright.

They were new off the shelf floor models, so I'd assume they were the generic specs coming from Callaway.

Thanks for the information.

Glad I could be of help.

Back