Wilson The Whale Driver - Throwback Thursday

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Each Thursday we do a little blast from the past and have some fun with it. In this installment, we thought we would showcase the latest and the greatest from Wilson in the year of 1991.

http://thehackersparadise.com/home/?p=11032

Check out the home page article here for the ORIGINAL catalog specs and description. Very cool stuff that Wilson was kind enough to scan and send over to us.

These are pictures of an original NEW driver from Wilson called The Whale.

1094467974_24Ded-L-1.jpg

1094468759_2AoU3-L-1.jpg

1094469409_mfF47-L-1.jpg

1094469724_JERpR-L-1.jpg

1094469987_NJ7Jw-L-1.jpg

what a wonderful combination of colors! golf was of little interest to me in 1991 so i am not all that familiar with this club. i'd love to hit one just for the heck of it though!

Oh, the good ole days.

Didn't Daly use a white version of this driver (Killer Whale) when he won the 91 PGA?

Oh, the good ole days.

Didn't Daly use a white version of this driver (Killer Whale) when he won the 91 PGA?

i don't know, but i bet you could poke this thing out there to about 280-290, lol

Sweet looking driver!

• Admin
Oh, the good ole days.

Daly did use the Killer Whale. I dont know why, but I remembered it being black. It also had a Firestick shaft like this one if I remember correctly.

would love to see THP's newest tester put this one through the paces, haha.

I am sort of a Wilson fanboy hehe!

That tournament that Daly won got me hooked on golf. I was stuck in the hospital recovering from my ACL surgery and remember it well. It was a white driver. Maybe Wilson could confirm it.

81345193.jpg

Suggestion/Question: Can we do a throwback article on the Z Cavaricci pants Daly is wearing?

That tournament that Daly won got me hooked on golf. I was stuck in the hospital recovering from my ACL surgery and remember it well. It was a white driver. Maybe Wilson could confirm it.

81345193.jpg

Suggestion/Question: Can we do a throwback article on the Z Cavaricci pants Daly is wearing?

I have sent in a request to see what he was playing. I hope you are right, because that changes everything in regards to my thoughts on current trends...haha

If it was white, I want one. Im so tempted to hit this one.

I have sent in a request to see what he was playing. I hope you are right, because that changes everything in regards to my thoughts on current trends...haha

If it was white, I want one. Im so tempted to hit this one.
If you hit it, you will wonder how you ever played golf back then. I remember hitting those wooden clubs and the varnish (I think that's what the finish was) just cracking after using it a few times.

I bet that driver looks more like a hybrid, doesn't it?

Maybe I missed it, but is that a reproduction of the model from 91, or just leftover stock they keep around?

Beautiful club. You can still get similar kinds of clubs. I believe Woods Bros out of Texas makes them.

If you hit it, you will wonder how you ever played golf back then. I remember hitting those wooden clubs and the varnish (I think that's what the finish was) just cracking after using it a few times.

I bet that driver looks more like a hybrid, doesn't it?

Maybe I missed it, but is that a reproduction of the model from 91, or just leftover stock they keep around?

I never had varnish crackle...Must be swing speed and impact...haha I kid of course.

It reminds me of the Adams SuperBlack Hybrid in size and shape really, although I believe it is bigger. This is the real deal. Original I believe.

I never had varnish crackle...Must be swing speed and impact...haha I kid of course.

It reminds me of the Adams SuperBlack Hybrid in size and shape really, although I believe it is bigger. This is the real deal. Original I believe.
Good stuff. I really enjoy these throwbacks, thank you!

Throwback Thursday!!! if i had that sucker sitting in front of me, i'd hit it!

Oh, the good ole days.

I don't think it was white, maybe more of a light gray or polished silver look? I had a friend that had one and I don't remember it being white.

I found this quote on the net "Look for a run on Cobra drivers with titanium shafts and heads made of Kevlar, a material used in bulletproof vests. "A friend of mine took a .44 Magnum and blew the head off [the driver]," said Daly, "so they're not bulletproof."

Read more: http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,1852915,00.html#ixzz15dany3JQ"
I don't think it was white, maybe more of a light gray or polished silver look? I had a friend that had one and I don't remember it being white.

Daly was using a Cobra Ultramid with a red Titanium X shaft , that white composite headed driver at one time .
I have hit one of those whales as my buddy had one .

Wow Wilson Firesticks I remember those shafts!! i think they even had a iron set called the Firesticks! This stuff is awesome, thanks THP!

My buddy had the killer whale when we were about 12-13. He took a full swing in his room and completely shattered his light fixture and ceiling fan haha.

That's great stuff. and actually a really nice looking club

My buddy had the killer whale when we were about 12-13. He took a full swing in his room and completely shattered his light fixture and ceiling fan haha.

thats hilarious!

I would love to hit one of these older clubs! A guy that played with us this weekend had an old burner with the bubble shaft and my dumb self never hit it.

Back