Old putter, what year?

Bridges

Reaction score
Handicap
I wasnt feeling good tonight, think im coming down with the first cold of the year and decided to stay home and do a little snooping around the house/shop/attic for old golf clubs.

I found 3 putters all really old, but this one I really like, I might even game it for a round just to see how it goes, its just really light though.

All it says is Super-Max IV on it. Has a small head but looks pretty sweet. Anyone have any idea what year this is from? Not sure why I want know, its just a really cool putter, might add some lead tape and see how it does.

Pictures..

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

edit: Pictures got deleted from photo bucket by accident.. Whoops.

Last edited:
I have no idea what it is. Is that a brass putter? If so, soak it in some Coca Cola for a couple of hours, perhaps overnight, and the finish will perk up really nicely.

I have no idea if its brass. I thought about doing it for the heck of it, but idk if its brass or not?

edit: will dr.pepper or diet coke work? No regular coke here.

It looks like it is brass from the pictures. If it is, a soaking in Coke will turn it into gold!

PS I got that tip from some golf-nut at another forum, who claims he soaks his putter in Coke after every round! I believe him too, even though it is hard to believe he would go that far...

It looks like it is brass from the pictures. If it is, a soaking in Coke will turn it into gold!

PS I got that tip from some golf-nut at another forum, who claims he soaks his putter in Coke after every round! I believe him too, even though it is hard to believe he would go that far...

Ya I know, it really does work. JB used coke to take the finish off some of his wedges the other day. Will diet coke or dr.pepper work?

I would think Diet Coke would work better than Dr. Pepper - - - more acid. But since regular coke works best to clean your battery terminals in your car, Coke would work better than anything.

Just drive up to the convenience store and get a can of Coke bridges! haha

I wouldn't know. I only drink the real thing, and have cleaned some putters with that. It is the phosporic acid that would provide the cleanup, I think...

Regular is best. did it to my 52 last night. Mom got PISSED. Wedge looks great though.

I would think Diet Coke would work better than Dr. Pepper - - - more acid. But since regular coke works best to clean your battery terminals in your car, Coke would work better than anything.

Just drive up to the convenience store and get a can of Coke bridges! haha

Well turns out we dont have any diet coke either. Thought there was some around here. Got it soaking in some DP just to see if it will work. Going to leave it in there overnight, doubt it will do much though.

Not worth a trip to the store tonight lol Hacking up a lung over here.

I wouldn't know. I only drink the real thing, and have cleaned some putters with that. It is the phosporic acid that would provide the cleanup, I think...
Its my grandmas diet coke lol Ya its the acid in it.
Regular is best. did it to my 52 last night. Mom got PISSED. Wedge looks great though.

haha why did she get mad?

Its my grandmas diet coke lol Ya its the acid in it.

haha why did she get mad?

LOL. You dont waste Mamas coke, especially if it is the last bottle.

Well, to my surprise the Dr. pepper actually cleaned it up some. There is a noticeable difference in the color. I left about an inch of the hosel not in the DP and its a lot darker than the rest of it. Going to see if I cant get some coke to soak it, should work a little better.

Still trying to figure out who made it and what year it was from, anyone know?

Cant really tell by the overall color but you can see how much darker the top of the hosel is than the rest, thats the part that wasnt in the DP. Hoping the coke will make it more of a gold color.

IMG_0641.jpg

Got it soaking in some diet cola right now (has been for a couple hours) Probably take it out around 6 central time to see what she looks like. Idk why but this is pretty fun to do. Hoping it makes it a bright gold color.

I just bought this putter (Super-Max IV) today at an estate sale. What did you find out about it?? Thanks...Parster65

I just bought this putter (Super-Max IV) today at an estate sale. What did you find out about it?? Thanks...Parster65

Wish I could help you out, but I couldnt find anything about it. I took the grip off just yesterday and will probably buy another to put on since the old grip was terrible. Sorry I couldnt help.

I'll have to try the Coke trick....does Pepsi work?

It makes you think twice about drinking this stuff, seeing how we are using it like a chemical.

Back