PGA Tour Gives Westwood a Break

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
From the UK's Daily Mail: November 24th, 2010

The US Tour have paid world No 1 Lee Westwood the ultimate compliment, changing their stringent membership rules so he can play in their flagship event, the Players' Championship in Florida next year. Because Westwood has given up membership it meant he was allowed to compete in only 10 events.
But, when he presented US Tour officials with his schedule, after taking into account such dates as the four majors and three world championship events, it showed he would have to choose between the Players' Championship and defending his Memphis Open title.

Change of heart: The US Tour have changed their rules to suit Westwood
That caused consternation at US Tour headquarters. Prior to seeing Westwood's schedule they were adamant there could be no exceptions.
Amazing what happens when you become world No 1. Now they have made a U-turn, with the Players' Championship ranked in such a way as to allow the Englishman to play both there and in Memphis.

It is a sign of the anxiety gripping the US Tour, which has sold itself on the premise that it is home to all the big names. But it is not only Westwood and Rory McIlroy who will be restricting their appearances. US PGA champion Martin Kaymer chose the start of what he calls 'the biggest week of my career so far' to confirm that he, too, will be basing himself in Europe next season.

A victory for the German at the grand season finale, the Dubai World Championship, would see him take not only Westwood's European No 1 crown as winner of the Race to Dubai but his world No 1 title as well. Not to mention the combined prize of £1.7million.

Good call by the PGA Tour. Does anyone else think that the big European players basing themselves at home is a good thing? I mean it gives more opportunity to up and coming Americans to ply their trade on the big tour, and at the same time it creates a more intense rivalry when the WGC's and the Majors come along.

$$$$$$$$$$$$

The PGA aren't fools. Unfortunately this will open a can of worms.

That's the problem with rules.

The Tour has to protect its members and its events. I can understand why some would want to stay on the Euro Tour (although it is hardly Euro any more). They either have plenty of money or want to play where the pickings are easier.

I don't like "cherry picking"; both the Tour and Westwood knew the rules; stick to them.

It's a slight rule dodge, rafter than abandonment.

Can see where the tour are coming from tho! In these difficult financial times it makes sense to have a much sponsorship draw as possible.

Hey it my even turn out to be the first real a shootout of the season between Westy & Tiger for the World No 1. (& others - poss poults)

I reckon that is in the fore front of the tour's mind & I bet they are banking on it.

(not sure if you've seen it but Westy is going great guns again in the Dubai champ at the mo)

Back