New PING Putter (brief review)

Gummi Bear

Sporadic Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
Bean Dip
iWi Series

I was at Edwin Watts last night, picking up my brother's Christmas gift and was mysteriously drawn to the putter corral.

There, in among all the competitors, in all of it's shining glory, sat the new 2009 PING iWi Putters. I picked one up, and this is what I found:

I love milled face putters for their soft but firm feel, much more so than the cast smooth face that's been the norm for so many years. *I've decided that I'm not as much of a fan of the nylon insert face as I once thought* These have an interesting thing going on: the face is indeed an insert, but not like their Craz-E putters, it's a 2 piece, with a nylon back, and a stainless face which makes for a nice feel when striking the ball. Not as 'mushy' feeling as a nylon face, and not nearly as 'clicky' as the smooth face cast putter.

I putted with a 34" iWi Anser, and it feels good. Really good. Not quite like the Redwood, but for $80 less, one might could learn to love it.

The interchangeable Tungsten weights on the bottom are a nice touch, they come with a 12 G factory, and evidently you can order another weight kit, and change them out to customize the weight a bit. How they go in is interesting - rather than be a threaded bit like many manufacturers, in an effort to keep the COG even lower, the weight is a plate style, held captive by a retaining screw.

The Anser iWi that I putted last night had a price tag of $169.00 on it.

Gummi,
That is a great mini review. I have been in talks with Ping for two straight weeks about doing some reviews. We are hoping to have one of these on their way. I want Harry to give it a once over being our resident Ping Guy. But we will have to wait and see. If I was not so in love with my White Hot (after years with an SC), I would have to check these out.

I'm willing to write up equipment reviews as well. Just let me know.

Thanks Gummi.

I tried them yesterday and liked them. The wieght kits are $50 though, Thing is, I don't think a weight kit would really be useful for putters except for your intial dialing it in.
I've always loved Ping putters, still game my old nickel Anser on occasion.

I'm willing to write up equipment reviews as well. Just let me know.

Hey, me too, me too!!!! :party:

For those interested, there is an thread about giveaways in which if you write some stuff on the "belt craze" you can win some great prizes if your article is chosen. It is listed in the giveaways section on the tech support category.

Back