Gettin' on the lower irons!

Colt

Two is one and one is none
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN: ????
I replaced my CG7 BP irons recently with a set of Mizuno MX-300s. These clubs are unbelievable! They are only a smidge harder to hit than the CG7's, but the rewards are well worth it. Besides, part of the reason I got them was to force me to concentrate on my swing. These have most definately helped me a lot already, because with just that little extra concentration I am hitting some nice shots. My problem starts here though. All of my irons are very consistent in gaps, great yardage for me. These are give or take numbers GW:105, PW:115, 9i:125, 8i:135, 7i:150, 6i:165, here it comes 5i:165-170, 4i:165-170. The distance stops at the 6i even though I am hitting them very clean. Trust me, as you all know, you can tell when you hit bad with a set of Mizzys and I'm not. The flight looks good, but the distance just doesn't come through. Anybody else have this problem? Got any ways you pushed through it?

Its like andy told me- They are just hard to hit.

You need some good power and a lot of other things to hit them. Invest in a solid hybrid or two.

I've tried so many different hybrids it's ridiculous!!! At least I can hit my 4i over 160. I know that's not good, but it's better than the 45 yard bouncers I get with every hybrid I have tried. I don't know if this is common practice or not, but I will use my Superfast fairway wood out of some seriously deep rough if I'm still around 180 or better away. A FAIRWAY wood out of the deep stuff works better for me than those garbage hybrids!!! This is not hostility toward your suggestion...this is just me showing my disdain for hybrids. I'm about to get rid of my Cleveland Launcher DST hybrid and get a superfast 5 wood instead! I'll give the Mashie a chance when it comes out, but if that doesn't work out then it'll just be me and my low irons and lots of lessons on hitting them!

I don't have anything for you on the irons, but if you are hitting worm burners with the hybrids, you may want to move the ball back a touch. I had that problem for a while with a hybrid I was playing and it also creeped into my 3W. I noticed that I was getting the ball too far forward, and I wasn't able to hit down on the ball anymore. When I moved it back every thing was great again.

I know its not the answer you want to hear, it never is for people, but the only way to fix this is to get a quick lesson. I know nobody wants to do that, but with ONE lesson, you will accomplish more than ALL of your purchases combined.

If you are hitting a FW wood out of the rough better than anything longer than a 7 iron, it is clearly a swing issue. Keep us posted on the progression and hoping it works out well for you.

did you have these issues w/the lower irons in the CG7's?

I understand. Hybirds can be difficult to like. I was like this until I recieved my Nickent from a member here. I loved it.

I can now hit my long irons, but I had to undergo several swing changes that got me to a better impact position. Talk to andy. It seems like a lesson, as JB said, may be in order.

I've tried so many different hybrids it's ridiculous!!! At least I can hit my 4i over 160. I know that's not good, but it's better than the 45 yard bouncers I get with every hybrid I have tried. I don't know if this is common practice or not, but I will use my Superfast fairway wood out of some seriously deep rough if I'm still around 180 or better away. A FAIRWAY wood out of the deep stuff works better for me than those garbage hybrids!!! This is not hostility toward your suggestion...this is just me showing my disdain for hybrids. I'm about to get rid of my Cleveland Launcher DST hybrid and get a superfast 5 wood instead! I'll give the Mashie a chance when it comes out, but if that doesn't work out then it'll just be me and my low irons and lots of lessons on hitting them!

I don't have anything for you on the irons, but if you are hitting worm burners with the hybrids, you may want to move the ball back a touch. I had that problem for a while with a hybrid I was playing and it also creeped into my 3W. I noticed that I was getting the ball too far forward, and I wasn't able to hit down on the ball anymore. When I moved it back every thing was great again.

Good tip here however it might be worth trying the opposite as well. Some folks do not extend their arms down on a hybrid shot and hit on top of the ball, thus getting the worm burners. Just try moving it up inside the left hill of the front foot. Make sure you extend through the ball and it should go nice & high. I hit my 16 degree hybrid as far as any 3 - wood I have had in recent years. It could be I am getting a little older and the shorter club gives me more confidence. If the tip mdbuschsr gave (moving the ball back) or my tip moving it forward so you get good extention, definitely do what JB suggested. A pro can see exactly where you are missing your shot and help you fix it. Before spending the bucs though,,, I would also advise you to post a message on this forum in the ask the pro thread. Andy will save you some bucks if you practice what the tells ya!

Good tip here however it might be worth trying the opposite as well. Some folks do not extend their arms down on a hybrid shot and hit on top of the ball, thus getting the worm burners. Just try moving it up inside the left hill of the front foot. Make sure you extend through the ball and it should go nice & high. I hit my 16 degree hybrid as far as any 3 - wood I have had in recent years. It could be I am getting a little older and the shorter club gives me more confidence. If the tip mdbuschsr gave (moving the ball back) or my tip moving it forward so you get good extention, definitely do what JB suggested. A pro can see exactly where you are missing your shot and help you fix it. Before spending the bucs though,,, I would also advise you to post a message on this forum in the ask the pro thread. Andy will save you some bucks if you practice what the tells ya!

And if you can post the question to Andy with a video so much the better. He has a great eye for swing faults!

Oh I can only imagine the faults he would find. "worm burners" HAH!!! I love golf terminology! As for moving the ball I actually put it up in my stance about a ball or two's width in my game today and it did wonders. I was closing down a bit much and pulling the ball about 10 or so yards with it up there, but the distance was good and once I got the feel I knew what I needed to change. All is well now as far as the hybrid goes. I'll try moving it back to the middle of my stance once I get a feel for the club.

Oh I can only imagine the faults he would find. "worm burners" HAH!!! I love golf terminology! As for moving the ball I actually put it up in my stance about a ball or two's width in my game today and it did wonders. I was closing down a bit much and pulling the ball about 10 or so yards with it up there, but the distance was good and once I got the feel I knew what I needed to change. All is well now as far as the hybrid goes. I'll try moving it back to the middle of my stance once I get a feel for the club.

Hit the hybrid like it's a wedge. Alot of people treat it like a fairway wood, and run into troubles.

THPing on the fly. Sorry for lack of forum etiquette.

Thainer21;443186[COLOR=blue said:
]Hit the hybrid like it's a wedge[/COLOR]. Alot of people treat it like a fairway wood, and run into troubles.

Hmmm now that sounds cool. You might want to try that Colt.

"Gotta hit down to make the ball go up. Try and swing up and the ball will stay down. Golf is a silly game!"

-Gary Player.

did you have these issues w/the lower irons in the CG7's?

I actually could sit here and sing the praises of these irons for a long time just from the short experience I've had with them, but I'll try and make it short and sweet... Yes I did have this problem, except with the CG7 irons I couldn't get the ball up at all. Even though the 4 and 5 in the Mizzys are short, I can at least get them going. I read in a lot of places that very high handicappers have no business with these irons (MX-300), but I disagree. At least for myself. I don't know what it is about them, I just hit them well...maybe the smaller head makes me really watch and control my swing whereas the Cleveland's huge heads let me get lazy.

Back