• Depends on the Club

Votes: 29 19.6%

• Total voters

9-Iron Man

Exciting Times
Reaction score
Handicap
High
Anybody keep a set of clubs as a backup? Or do you get rid of your old clubs as soon as new ones come into rotation? Sound off.

Good question/thread.

I do. I kept my old DCI's but not so much for backup reasons as for sentimental reasons. They were very good to me at one time. Thanks to THP and Cleveland, I now have a backup set of pre groove rule wedges on the way. I also have a set of Jaws that I bought for the same reason before I won those. The groove rule should effect me sometime in 2057 if my math is correct.

:banana:

Normally I keep my clubs, but more for sentimental reasons. Not sure why, but they all have a little meaning to me and I can remember what it was like to get all of them. I just started selling stuff off over the last month. I need drinking money for WPB and I don't really need them.

I still have my Ping Eye 2 irons, and one one occasion about a year and a half ago I put them in the bag for a round when I was fighting my iron swing a bit with the Callaways. It didn't help much - after the time I had been away from the Pings they just didn't fit my eye the way they once did; that said, they are still in my closet and I am holding on to them...

Normally I keep my clubs, but more for sentimental reasons. Not sure why, but they all have a little meaning to me and I can remember what it was like to get all of them. I just started selling stuff off over the last month. I need drinking money for WPB and I don't really need them.

True that! I'm kind of in the same boat. I don't need some of the extra clubs I'm holding on to at the moment. I sold my a3OS irons when I got my VRs, but since getting the xFT wedges I'm been wondering what to do with my old setup of CG14 50* and VR 56* and 60*. The extra cash sure would be nice, but I don't know if I should get rid of them or not.

The worst for me was getting rid of the Ci7's. I felt like I let them down. They were so good, but just not made for me.

I need drinking money for WPB and I don't really need them.

Lol! That is classic.

True that! I'm kind of in the same boat. I don't need some of the extra clubs I'm holding on to at the moment. I sold my a3OS irons when I got my VRs, but since getting the xFT wedges I'm been wondering what to do with my old setup of CG14 50* and VR 56* and 60*. The extra cash sure would be nice, but I don't know if I should get rid of them or not.

I had to look at it from a practical standpoint. I want money and somewhere out there, somebody wants my clubs.

I had to look at it from a practical standpoint. I want money and somewhere out there, somebody wants my clubs.

Very true, well said.

Only my 58 degree X-Forged.
I don't know why I'm so attached to it/them.
The other clubs.. not so much, there will be something better if I break them.

Not necessarily for a backup set, or for sentimental reasons. I just never get around to doing something with them. Glad I didn't though as after a year and a half with the G5s, I put the Mizunos back in. Now, come spring, we'll see which ones are going to be kind to me and then I'll decide what to do with the others. Maybe, with tax return money, small bonus and the cash from selling sone of the stuff I have and don't use, I can get wedges that I am desperately needing. In the past I have usually just given them to one of my brohters, as they never go out and buy any clubs themslves. They are both playing very old sets of mine, and won't go out and get their own.

I have never sold any of my old clubs, but I really should. I need the room.

Uuuuh....

IMG_2461Medium.jpg

IMG_2463Medium.jpg

IMG_2462Medium.jpg

IMG_2470Medium.jpg

I actually have 3 complete bags. I keep one set at the club for everyday play, I have a matching full set at home that I use to take on the road to tournaments (I play in a Seniors League twice a month). I have another set that I use when I want a change in feel.

Of course I also have many putters, several drivers, and a few hybrids to switch out depending on the course I play.

Think that answers that LB!!

I have sold some of my old iron sets. I still have one set and I will keep them just because they were the clubs that I learned to play with. Other than that I keep a driver, some fairway woods and wedges as backup. I do not consider my putter collection as a backup but more of a rotation type of situation!!

Ha, between LB, JB and Golfergal they could start their own department store! :D

Ideally, I would like 2 sets of irons to swap in and out. Some nice cavity backs for my relaxing and fun days and some bladeish/muscle back irons for the days I want to challange myself. Can't wait to pitch that to the wife...

Most sets I've sold as I got the new ones. My Cleveland CG4's I've held onto mostly because by the time i replaced them I couldn't get a good value for them and they are too good to let go for nothing. They have the Black Gold shaft, love that shaft. Getting nostalgic now I might just take them out and caress them a bit...

I do have my DCI's that I played forever, but not as a backup.
I usually keep the replaced clubs for a year in case I hate the new ones, and then give my old ones away to someone who can't afford clubs.

I don't have enough clubs to keep back-ups.
With the new irons coming, I am thinking about getting a staff bag and keeping a handful of clubs around for a rainy day. Otherwise, I'll just give them to my dad.

I do have a backup set of irons, Ping i3's that I may unload very soon since I don't use them and I have a set of TM's on the way. Still have my diablo driver as a backup, and a cleveland cg11 wedge.

I keep a few clubs around and I use them when I am frustrated with one of my main ones.. Its psychological I think, after a round or two I forgive the main one and put it back in my bag again

Back