Go For It or Lay Up?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Today I had 235 into the green on a part 5 and 205 to clear the water. Do you go for it or layup?

1zf3bs7.jpg

you know the answer to that

Lay up 100% of the time. I can't hit it that far lol.

I would have laid up, but I am pansy.

If it is only 205 to clear the water hazard I would go for it. Take a nice easy swing with my 3 wood. No need to try to kill it because I know I can carry 205 with a nice smooth swing no problem.

That's my 2 cents.....and about what it's worth!!

Man up, go for it, hit the green and give yourself the eagle try.

I would have to lay up, although it looks like I could hug the left side and fade a bit up the fw.

Definitely go for it, especially from the fairway!

My 4-Wood clears the water by 7 to 10 yards but I lay up to 80 and try to get inside 10 feet with a wedge

It would totally depend on how I am swinging that day. Being in my mid 60's that is a long shot for me and I would have to hit the 3 wood good.

I would in almost all circumstances go for it. Only reason not to go for it would be if I had tried that shot a few times that day and I was just not hitting it well.

I would lay up...

Depends how I am hitting it that particular day but I would probably lay up 80% of the time, get a wedge in my hand and put it close for a solid birdie attempt.

What did you do JB?

Go for it then drop after I put it in the drink.

my mind says lay up...my heart says go for it. It also depends on how I am playing that day. If its a good round, I will lay up...if I ma struggling a bit, I would prob give a frustration swing

I would go for it 100 out of 100 times unless my game was really suffering that day and I just didn't feel it. I like my chances of getting up and down from anywhere up there either on the green or just off the green much more than I do from say 100 yds. My answer, go for it. With the Burner 2.0s I might even be hitting 3 or 4 iron!

Depends how I am hitting it that particular day but I would probably lay up 80% of the time, get a wedge in my hand and put it close for a solid birdie attempt.

What did you do JB?

I went for it, which is a rarity for me. I ended up about 20 feet away and had a 2 putt birdie.

Lay up for sure. I hate to donate my :bridgestone: e6's to the course.

Out of your bag of goodies, what did you hit JB?

I'd go for it since I can definitely carry the 205 and can maybe sneak up on the green.

I am a big fan of Annika's philosophy of it being better to get as close as possible without bringing danger into play. 205 doesn't bring it into play for me as I trust my Cobra Baffler as much as any club in my bag save the Niblick.

Nice play JB!

My first instinct was go, then I looked at how tight the landing area looks and all the bunkers and I'm not so sure. If the new 2.0s are as long as they seem to be, I'll be going for a lot more of these cause I won't have to hit 5 wood anymore!

GO FOR IT!!! Every eagle I have had has been a par 5. No guts, no glory!

Go for it then drop after I put it in the drink.

The "hero/bozo" in me would do the same thing.

I would most likely lay up, although I have been known to put my lay up's in the drink too . . .

Back