New Iron Set....Input Wanted

BulldogsGolf

Future PGA Professional
Reaction score
Handicap
So I got a new set of irons for christmas, but I get to go pick them out later in the winter/spring. I have it down to a few:

Bridgestone J38 Dual Cavity
Nike VR Pro Combo
Titleist CB
Mizuno MP-53

A little info About my game. I play quite a bit, and have gotten significantly better over the last few years from playing so much (2009 scoring avg: 53.5, 2010 Scoring avg: 44.3) and it was going down, my last few rounds were 41, 41, 42 par 37 for that particular 9. I am a pretty good ball striker, rarely having shots that go rampantly errant (though it does happen:D). I am looking at being one of the top two guys on my varsity team next season, and I want to know what you guys think MIGHT be the best for me. I know it depends alot on how I feel with them in my hands and how they feel when I swing, but I'm just looking for a little input. Thanks,

BulldogsGolf:thankyou:

Last edited:
i've only hit the 53's out of your list and they were ok to me. i wasn't blown away with them like so many are. i like distance, i like high, straight and long, and i can't get those out of those particular irons. the j38's are straight up hawt! but i'll never hit them and i know that quite a few guys who attended the outing liked the pro combos from nike.

you should get some good feedback buddy! congrats on making your varsity team.

Not a lot of forgiveness there. Why not the R9s or JPX-800 Pros?

Oh and also, go get fit for them at a reputable golf shop.

my vote for now would go to the J38's. they feel great! I will be testing th enew TM forged irons so keep your eyes open for that thread. I personally say demo demo demo....feel is in the eye of the beholder

my vote for now would go to the J38's. they feel great! I will be testing th enew TM forged irons so keep your eyes open for that thread. I personally say demo demo demo....feel is in the eye of the beholder

absolutly. I will not get this new set of irons before I try them!

I hit the Mp-53's and they were fine but not for me. I can't say anything about the J38's cause they don't make lefty stuff..grrrr. Just hit them all on a launch monitor and let the best man win.

No place seems to have the j38s. Anyone know a store (Golf Galaxy, Dick's, etc) that carries them?

I'm heading to my local Dick's in about an hour to pick up a 3w, so I can check if they have them for you.

No place seems to have the j38s. Anyone know a store (Golf Galaxy, Dick's, etc) that carries them?
If you get your specs from a fitting then TGW, The Golf Warehouse , online carries them and you can even customize shaft, grip, lie angle, loft angle up to +/- 2 degrees. I think that covers basically everything

J38 Pocket Cavity- http://www.tgw.com/customer/categor...794/refScid/1092/sattr0/Gender/sattrVal0/mens
J38 Forged Cavity- http://www.tgw.com/customer/category/product.jsp?SUBCATEGORY_ID=14793

My local store did not have them, and the employee I spoke with was not sure if others did. I would call around to your local Dick's or GG to find out before making a trip there.

My local store did not have them, and the employee I spoke with was not sure if others did. I would call around to your local Dick's or GG to find out before making a trip there.

Thank You so much jt. The Bridgestones are pretty high in that list, if I had to rank them. Right behind the pro combos :D

The list has narrowed...........

1. Nike VR Pro Combo
2. Bridgestone J38 Forged
3. Mizuno MP-53

In my GolfTEC fitting last week I hit the Nike's and the MP53s. I didn't like the Nike feel at all. The MP53 are quite nice and had the second best launch monitor numbers for me, right behind the TM R9 TP. Tough choice between the two for me, but leaning to the R9 TP. The MP53 is a nice head, though.

If you have a GolfTEC nearby I'd highly suggest you visit them for an iron fitting before making up your mind. You might be surprised. Neither the R9 TP nor the MP53 were even really high on my list before I visited, but after hitting so many different irons and seeing the numbers and results... well, you can't argue with results if you also like the way they look. Irons I would have picked if I had just walked into a store and grabbed were among the worst performers.

I went to golf smith Friday and hit 6 irons till I needed a shower and some tape. I found everything but j38s and wilson ci9s sadly : (. I wanted a little more forgiveness so i didn't hit the nikes, I did hit the 53s, 800pro, 800, and mx300. Out of all the miz irons 800 felt best, then 53 and 300s about tied for 2nd, with 800 pro in last. Although I have a few ahead of these so I'd say 53s where middle of the road.

As a few can attest to on this forum, I have huge crush on the j38s but sadly can't find a place with a demo club either. The local golf headquarters has a display set so if I can convince them to let me hit them I'll let u know lol

Thank You, West Tex.

And on that note I have come to a conclusion. I have chosen (as long as I can test them, everything I've seen/read/heard says they're sweeeeet) the MIZUNO MP-52
I know they weren't on my list, and I would still like to try the VR Combos, but I am 99% sure I am going with the 52s. Thanks guys in pushing me toward Mizuno and Ill keep this thread open to let you know when (or if?) I get them... THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH

BulldogsGolf

Nike VR PRO

Nike VR PRO

I tried the Nike VR Pro at Golfers Warehouse in Natick. Great set.

Back