what do you concider a good range session?

the boss

golf addict help me!!
Reaction score
Handicap
i feel i just had my best range session to date.
20 shots with my pw all pretty good and pretty much on target
15 shots with my 7 iron all where ii was aiming
20 with my 3 hybrid all pretty much the same distance and where i was aiming
50 drives of which i pulled 6 slightly to the left about 15-20 yards off where i was aiming the rest where pretty straight.
what would you concider a good session?

I like to start with my long irons, 4 iron for me and work down from there. The 4 iron is the hardest to hit so I never expect to hit every shot with it dead on. If I do it hit it well, great. From there I expect to hit each iron better than the one before it all the way down to my lob wedge.
I then go to hybrid, 3 wood and driver last. I think it is important for me at 49 years old to get warmed up good before hitting the driver so I do that last. I pay a lot of attention to distance.
A good session for me is when I can pick a distance flag on the range, say to myself that I want to hit that distance either right or left of the marker and pull that off 85% of the time.

Consistent contact and decent ball flight.

Went to the range today (indoors) and had a really good session. It was all wedges, hybrids, and a few driver shots. I was hitting wedges/hybrids really well. The driver: not so much lol. The bays are really close together and they have these small mats with a rubber tee that you lay on top the regular mat. I couldn't commit to my shots and the results showed. Went back to the wedges quickly. Probably for the best anyway.

hit wedges for at least 30 minutes. then move up from there and work on shaping shots and trajectory control as well as distance control. Then back to wedges for a while. usually takes about an hour and a half to 2 hours. of course my warm up before a round is much more condensed and takes 20ish minutes

A good session to me is all about good ball striking and thats what I work on when at the range.
10 Wedges to warm up followed by 7 iron, 4 irons and then Driver.

I take a break between each shot its not a rapid fire contest like I see so often when people never even re grip between shots.

I also play a little game at the end where I imagine playing a hole so hit a drive followed by an iron and then a wedge.

I like to take my time 50 balls sometimes takes 90 mins to work through.

For me, its about 30 wedges, 5-10 7irons, 5 or 6 Drivers, and about 10 minutes on a putting green.

Now if I have an issue Im trying to work out, it is roughly about 50 balls on whatever that issue is.

If I can go a whole session without duck hooking or slicing anything, I'd call that an excellent session. If I only shank a couple and mostly hit towards where I was aiming, I'd call that good.

Most of my sessions are lower than those levels. Thankfully, some of the best rounds I've ever played came right after horrible range sessions.

A good session to me is all about good ball striking and thats what I work on when at the range.
10 Wedges to warm up followed by 7 iron, 4 irons and then Driver.

I take a break between each shot its not a rapid fire contest like I see so often when people never even re grip between shots.

I also play a little game at the end where I imagine playing a hole so hit a drive followed by an iron and then a wedge.

I like to take my time 50 balls sometimes takes 90 mins to work through.

That is pretty much how I do it even to playing one or two "holes" before I finish. I hit about 65 balls in that 90 minute range secession, not many more balls so I am still taking my time and going through my preshot routine before every shot. I too see the rapid fire guy come to the range and start out swinging his driver full bore and hitting a large bucket of balls in 20 minutes, usually the go get in their car and leave without going to the putting green and getting in a little short game practice.

as long as the ball striking is consistent and solid I think I've had a good range session

When I only have to hit 26 shots.

I don't play golf for a living and I don't really care about my scores anymore.A good range session for me is the lack of one.

A good session for me is when I'm making good contact and its consistent :)

You should mix it up, practice like you play, hit driver -7i -pw etc... keep cycling through your set, you're never going to hit 50 wedge shots in a row on the course so why practice that way? You need to be able to transition from club to club. But that is just my opinion

interesting views i did take my gps with me last thursday before my round and try to simulate some of the holes.

When I only have to hit 26 shots.

Actually this is a good point if I'm having an amazing session sometimes I'll half a bucket and be happy to walk away knowing I'm playing well.

I work on the principle that I only have so many great shots in life so dont want to waste them all on the range :D

Actually this is a good point if I'm having an amazing session sometimes I'll half a bucket and be happy to walk away knowing I'm playing well.

I work on the principle that I only have so many great shots in life so dont want to waste them all on the range :D

Not really my point, but I was intentionally vague.

I found that I was hitting waaaay too many balls. Was no real difference between working on technique and 'feeling' shots, target practice etc. So I created a little drill called 26. Hit first a draw, then a fade with each club in the bag (minus putter of course). If you hit a nice draw with the 7-iron but can't hit a fade afterwards, you start over with the draw. Do it until you've gone from LW to driver and see how many shots it took you. This drill might not be for everyone, but it helped me a lot and made practice more fun.

Back