The SuperFast Shaft Situation

9-Iron Man

Exciting Times
Reaction score
Handicap
High
As some will know, I was very fortunate to win the TaylorMade Prize Pack from the THP Dinner Raffle at the Fall Outing. The Prize Pack consisted of a Ghost putter, a dozen Penta balls, and a Burner SuperFast driver with a stiff shaft. I was very excited to win this, and I want to say another big thank you to THP and TaylorMade for such an awesome prize. It was the one I hoped to win and was very lucky to have won.

GolfClubs005.jpg

I was a little wary about the stiff shaft right from the get go, but in the end, I thought I could handle it as my club head speed was always a little higher with it, but after jumping in a simulator recently it became apparent, that using the stiff shaft was a pipe dream. I then began a search for a new shaft.

By this point, I knew and was long confirmed for the THP Spring Outing so the ultimate plan was to wait until the Outing and get fit for a shaft there, but then a great deal popped up. One-T was selling his ATTAS shaft for a VERY good price. I jumped on with full intent of putting it in the SuperFast. But that's when the problems started.

The ATTAS shaft came with an R9 tip on it. I didn't think much of it as I knew it could get pulled off and the shaft could then be put in the SuperFast. I took the club and the shaft to Golf Town (the biggest golf store chain in Canada) and was promptly told it could not be done for varying reasons. I went back and forth with them about it for several days and finally got in touch with someone who actually knew what they were talking about. I was told that due to the heat required to pull the R9 tip off the shaft, the shaft would become weak at that point and could snap off when hitting a ball. More or less it boiled down to a liability issue that they did not want to be a part of.

At this point I was very bummed out. Here I have a driver and a shaft that I can't use. I had a couple options, sell the shaft (which I would loose money on), and get another, or get rid of the SuperFast and get an R9 so I could use the shaft. So yesterday, I finally made a decision.

Spoiler
GolfClubs001.jpg

GolfClubs002.jpg

GolfClubs003.jpg

GolfClubs004.jpg

I traded the SuperFast in for an R9 SuperTri. I have spent quite a bit of time with the R9 (both R9 460 and SuperTri) over the last few weeks and actually got to game a SuperTri for a round at the Fall Outing. It is a great driver and I think it will be a good addition to my bag. It broke my heart to let the SuperFast go, but in the end, it was just not meant to be. I want to thank THP and TaylorMade again for supplying such an awesome prize. Now I have the 2011 season to look forward too. I hope the SuperTri brings me luck.

Thanks for reading!
9I

Nicely done 9 ironman, I think that shaft will be much more suitable to your current swing. The beautiful thing too as you continue to evolve your swing, you can now easily try out different shafts due to the R9 adapter, including at the outing. The Supertri is a great clubhead too. I think its mid-spin characteristics will be good for your swing as well.

Nicely done 9 ironman, I think that shaft will be much more suitable to your current swing. The beautiful thing too as you continue to evolve your swing, you can now easily try out different shafts due to the R9 adapter, including at the outing. The Supertri is a great clubhead too. I think its mid-spin characteristics will be good for your swing as well.

Thanks, I hope so too G4L. I have high hopes for the Spring. I do plan to narrow some shafts down at the Outing.

Nice! Good looking stick, hope it works well for ya. I am still not sure what the difference is between the Sper Tri and the normal R9 though...

Nice! Good looking stick, hope it works well for ya. I am still not sure what the difference is between the Sper Tri and the normal R9 though...

Check out our reviews. Different look, different size, and slightly different sound and feel.

SuperTri is 460cc. R9 is 420 I think. And thanks!!

EDIT: JB beat me too it, but he's 100% right.

Welcome to the SuperTri club 9I! G4L is spot on with the shafts come the outing. You'll love trying out the different offerings.

Oh, okay. Sorry, TM confuses me sometimes. I mean, howmany different Burner drivers are there? Just saying...
SuperTri is 460cc. R9 is 420 I think. And thanks!!

EDIT: JB beat me too it, but he's 100% right.

Welcome to the SuperTri club 9I! G4L is spot on with the shafts come the outing. You'll love trying out the different offerings.

Thanks, that's the hope. I think I may need a lower launching shaft, but that's what the ol' THP Vector is for!

Thanks, that's the hope. I think I may need a lower launching shaft, but that's what the ol' THP Vector is for!

Depending on what's there if you want to take a rip with my Fubuki (it wasn't there at last outing) you're more than welcome. If you like the Attas (to me it was the shaft that was as close to the Fubuki at the outing) you'll probably enjoy the Fubuki as well.

Depending on what's there if you want to take a rip with my Fubuki (it wasn't there at last outing) you're more than welcome. If you like the Attas (to me it was the shaft that was as close to the Fubuki at the outing) you'll probably enjoy the Fubuki as well.

Cool, thanks. I may have to take you up on that!

Congrats on the supertri. Just picked one up today as well and love it. Too bad you had to get rid of the Superfast but some things are just meant to be.

Funny how things work out and in the end I believe you probably have a better set up now than before. As a newer golfer who's evolving, the adjustability of the ST is fantastic. Congrats and good luck.

serious golfers use tapatalk so we can THP on the fly!

Congrats on the supertri. Just picked one up today as well and love it. Too bad you had to get rid of the Superfast but some things are just meant to be.

Thanks, they are a really nice driver. It will be nice once my swing is better to start playing more with the weights and face angles. Got the weight in the heel right now.

Funny how things work out and in the end I believe you probably have a better set up now than before. As a newer golfer who's evolving, the adjustability of the ST is fantastic. Congrats and good luck.

serious golfers use tapatalk so we can THP on the fly!

Thanks TC, I appreciate it! Now I just need the snow to leave so I can actually hit up the course!

Nice looking stick, 9i. I loved that Attas/SuperTri combo in WPB.

Nice looking stick, 9i. I loved that Attas/SuperTri combo in WPB.

Thanks! It is an awesome shaft, really nice. I took it into the store once when I was testing and it felt so nice. So smooth. I can't wait to get out there and try it out some more.

Whoever told you that about pulling the R9 tip from the shaft lied....just sayin.

Whoever told you that about pulling the R9 tip from the shaft lied....just sayin.

Oh, I know. I had many conversations with JB about that. He couldn't believe it either. In the end, I had little option, so I went with the R9.

9I glad you made a decision that you are happy with. I think we all remember how excited you were when you won that Taylormade Prize Pack at the outing. The attas is a great shaft. I switched to the SuperTri after the outing and put a Project X shaft in it because I found that's what worked for me. Like Spanks said "Welcome to the club"

9I glad you made a decision that you are happy with. I think we all remember how excited you were when you won that Taylormade Prize Pack at the outing. The attas is a great shaft. I switched to the SuperTri after the outing and put a Project X shaft in it because I found that's what worked for me. Like Spanks said "Welcome to the club"

Thanks ddec. I know I got pretty excited. How could I not? I've only won about 4 things in my life and the TM prize pack from the Outing had 3 of them. It pained me to no end to get rid of the SuperFast, I really liked that driver, but in the end, I had to cut my losses and the SuperTri was the best option for me. I'll do my best to do the "club" proud! It's a pleasure to be here.

Back