Tee Box angles messing with my swing

Bridges

Reaction score
Handicap
Exactly as the title says. If I have a tee box straigt towards the fairway of were I need to hit it im good, but say the tee box is angled and I can aim farther down the fairway it messes with me on my down swing. I seem to want to swing with the direction of the tee box rather than the direction that I should be.

Not sure if that makes sense to some so added a terrible picture that might help some lol

Look at this as a par 4 and Im aiming for the big part of the fairway. Red arrow is the way I aim but the green arrow is the way my swing wants to go.

teeangle.jpg

Its more mental than anything but I just cant seem to shake it. I always want to swing with direction the tee box points and I just cant do that on some holes, this started ever since I finally fixed my swing of going outside in to inside out a few months ago.

An example: If I was playing that hole I would hit a big push because Im swinging in the direction of the tee box, its weird and like I said a big mental thing but its messing with me.

Man I am with you. I have had and still have that problem especially when I am trying to cut a corner on a dogleg. Something that has helped me sometimes is a tip from the golden bear where you pick out a piece of grass or dirt about 4 feet in front of you on the line you want to hit the ball and concentrate on that. I don't know if that will help you but for me it has helped with my alignment on these types of shots.

I know that once I pick a forward target and get aligned to hit the ball, I am not even aware of how the tee box is set up as my focus is then on the ball and the target I have picked out in front of me. Maybe it is simply a lack of focus on the intended line and a mental picture of the openess of the fairway directly in front of you. Someone here may have some tips on how to better focus on you target.

Clearly in that case all you'd have to do (right handed player) is bomb a big draw out there around that corner and maybe even knock one on the green. :egyptian:

Yeah....if only it was that easy. I feel your pain Bridges, I've even been on holes where the tee box is angled such that it doesn't even point you down the fairway, that really drives me crazy!

Sometimes the folks who set up the course purposely set the tees to point into the trees or into a hazard, or they're just being lazy. I focus on a point just in front of my golf ball and align my club/stance with that and ignore the tee markers.

I always just aim at the left side of the fairway since my drives have the crazy ability to go farther laterally than long sometimes. I remember getting tip though once while playing with an old timer, totally disregard the orientation of the tees pick a side to play from and let the rest work itself out. Most times the.course I play regularly will angle the tee boxes from day to day and I just try to remember what the guy told me. Seems to eliminate the mental shot shape picture I get from the tee and let's me focus on where I want to go.

I get my posting on the run

We have a hole at our course that sets up exactly like this. I have to really think about whether my hips and shoulders are square when I set up or I will also push or pull it. I usually stand behind the ball and find a tree to shoot for in the distance and also find a closer target a foot or so in front of my ball. I then set up making sure my body is square (my left shoulder tends to be open so I make sure it's not). This is something my coach has really worked with me on and it really makes a huge difference.

Man I am with you. I have had and still have that problem especially when I am trying to cut a corner on a dogleg. Something that has helped me sometimes is a tip from the golden bear where you pick out a piece of grass or dirt about 4 feet in front of you on the line you want to hit the ball and concentrate on that. I don't know if that will help you but for me it has helped with my alignment on these types of shots.
Drives me insane. I can have the confidence in the world but throw different angled tee box at me and im doneski

Clearly in that case all you'd have to do (right handed player) is bomb a big draw out there around that corner and maybe even knock one on the green. :egyptian:

Yeah....if only it was that easy. I feel your pain Bridges, I've even been on holes where the tee box is angled such that it doesn't even point you down the fairway, that really drives me crazy!

Id rather throw my ball then have to hit off of those, I have a few like that and it sucks. Im thinking the only thing I can do is put some alignment sticks up and aim a different way than there pointed and try to work at fixing it.

I think there's a lot to that whole finding a target a short distance in front of you bit. I always find one well out in the distance myself, usually through the fairway and sometimes even as far away at the horizon. I think I'm going to try to start doing that but then also picking one say 10 yds in front of me...thanks for the tips guys!!

I always just aim at the left side of the fairway since my drives have the crazy ability to go farther laterally than long sometimes. I remember getting tip though once while playing with an old timer, totally disregard the orientation of the tees pick a side to play from and let the rest work itself out. Most times the.course I play regularly will angle the tee boxes from day to day and I just try to remember what the guy told me. Seems to eliminate the mental shot shape picture I get from the tee and let's me focus on where I want to go.

I get my posting on the run

We have a hole at our course that sets up exactly like this. I have to really think about whether my hips and shoulders are square when I set up or I will also push or pull it. I usually stand behind the ball and find a tree to shoot for in the distance and also find a closer target a foot or so in front of my ball. I then set up making sure my body is square (my left shoulder tends to be open so I make sure it's not). This is something my coach has really worked with me on and it really makes a huge difference.

Definitely will try both of these next time out.

I find that if I set up directly between the Tee Box markings I have a tendency to do exactly what you are talking about. On a hole like the one you diagrammed I would actually tee off a yard or two behind the tee box markings and conciously see the angle I want and how it is different than the line up. I find that when I can easily SEE that I am at an off angle, my body doesn't "slip" back into swinging down the tee box.

I often combine this with moving to the edge of the box and having the marking in my field of view. Weird, I know... but it works for me.

Easy solution: purchase a bubba-size visor so that the bill keeps you from seeing the tee box markers, etc.

Solution: Stand 5 feet infront of the blocks, and find your target. Without looking at the blocks, take 4 steps back, and tee it up. Never look at the blocks, and you should be okay.

Solution: Stand 5 feet infront of the blocks, and find your target. Without looking at the blocks, take 4 steps back, and tee it up. Never look at the blocks, and you should be okay.

It's so funny, because that is 100% the opposite of what I need to do. People think/react in different ways all the time.

I dont do that, but I suggested it because he gets fixated on the blocks. Often times on well designed courses, playing the shot shape of the tee blocks to fairway is beneficial
It's so funny, because that is 100% the opposite of what I need to do. People think/react in different ways all the time.

I dont do that, but I suggested it because he gets fixated on the blocks. Often times on well designed courses, playing the shot shape of the tee blocks to fairway is beneficial

Yep- and I stand far enough back to clearly demonstrate to my body that my line is better than the line the course laid out. Instead of tricking my body into ignoring the "tee box" I try to show myself how obviously wrong the tee box is.

Yep- and I stand far enough back to clearly demonstrate to my body that my line is better than the line the course laid out. Instead of tricking my body into ignoring the "tee box" I try to show myself how obviously wrong the tee box is.

See thats what I kind of do. I stand back behind the ball pick the best possible aiming point, walk up to the ball take a small little take away swing to practice coming inside out, waggle a couple times then let it rip. But add a tee box that goes in a different way than im aiming and everything screws up. Cant figure out how to fix it.

Thats why I suggested what I did. Dont start from behind the blocks, start from infront of them. Then you wont get their tunnel vision
See thats what I kind of do. I stand back behind the ball pick the best possible aiming point, walk up to the ball take a small little take away swing to practice coming inside out, waggle a couple times then let it rip. But add a tee box that goes in a different way than im aiming and everything screws up. Cant figure out how to fix it.

Thats why I suggested what I did. Dont start from behind the blocks, start from infront of them. Then you wont get their tunnel vision

It wont matter. I play from the middle tees, so there will be another set of tees in front of the ones I play from. I would have to go completley in front of the tee box to do what your saying.

Might be worth playing from the fronts until you figure it out.
It wont matter. I play from the middle tees, so there will be another set of tees in front of the ones I play from. I would have to go completley in front of the tee box to do what your saying.

Might be worth playing from the fronts until you figure it out.

Na, even if I walk forward in front of the tee box then walk back id have to close my eyes to not see the direction of the tee box lol

I will figure it out somehow, thinking alignment sticks set up like a tee box and me aiming a different way will help out, then a couple tips people said about picking a spot 4-7 inches in front the ball might help to.

Not sure if this will help, but I put an alignment line on my ball with a marker. I use it for lining up on putts, but will also do the exact same thing when the ball is teed up. It takes a little bit longer for me to tee the ball up and get the line aligned in the direction where I want it, but I then use the line on the ball to set up my clubface and align my body, so I don't even pay attention to the tee markers or the mowing lines on the tee box. Obviously, this may be a little harder for people that are paying more attention to the direction of the tee box, but it's a thought. You can also use the "cheater line" that are on most balls now if you don't want to draw a line on your ball.

I even pick a short target (within 2') and then a medium target (within 10 yards) directly in line with the short target and then go from there. I found that looking at long distance targets didn't alway mean I was aiming at them hence the need for shorter targets.
I think there's a lot to that whole finding a target a short distance in front of you bit. I always find one well out in the distance myself, usually through the fairway and sometimes even as far away at the horizon. I think I'm going to try to start doing that but then also picking one say 10 yds in front of me...thanks for the tips guys!!

So the whole pick a target 5-7 inches in front of the ball just does not do well for me, I have to look at and find a spot on the fairway or off in the distance. Still having problems and I actually think I made it worse since its all I think about now, but guess it has to get worse before it gets better right? At Least I hope.

Close your eyes next time. Just to see if that helps.

Back