Sports Cards Going the Way of the Dinosaur?

MSB256

Reaction score
Handicap
Did you guys ever collect sports cards? I grew up collecting baseball, football, basketball, even some hockey cards.

I don't have the old time cards like your mickey mantles and roger maris cards. But I have some decent cards from my generation. Brett Favre rookie, a couple Ken Griffey Jr rookies (sweetest swing in baseball) about 20 or more Ken Griffey Jr. Cards, 20 or so Frank Thomas, 20 or so Jose Canseco (played minor league in Huntsville so I grew up an A's fan). Also have some Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Barry Sanders, those type of guys.

Besides the big names I have lots of random cards. But do you think sports cards are going away? If I wanted to sell my whole collection, I wouldn't get much at all because it's not your old time cards. Part of me thinks no one cares about cards anymore so why not just get rid of them, then the other part of me thinks if they stop caring that will mean they become more rare?

I'd trade my whole set for some cash to spend on golf, that's for sure. Maybe the Brett Favre rookie becomes worth money some day but I'd probably be too old then to care much. I guess that's selfish because the thing to do would be pass them down to my kids.

What do you guys think? Have sports cards seen their better days?

I used to collect baseball cards. I have a ken griffey jr. rookie and quite a few others. I don't have too many, only two binders full plus a couple shoe boxes, and most of those are new and aren't worth anything. I think soon people will stop manufacturing them. I can't imagine them turning a big enough profit to continue. We will see some old ones circulating around but I'm not sure new ones are going to continue.

They come and go. I think the early 90s was the last time they were really worth anything, then everyone went out and bought a bunch, saturated the market and they became mostly worthless again. I have a bunch of 60s and 70s baseball and football cards I bought when I was a kid. Stacked them up and put rubber bands around them. That's how we did it back then! Now you have these companies making money of the plastic inserts and album sleeves for sports cards. The people with the cards have a bunch of cards worth nothing while those companies made some money off other peoples idea of getting rich off sports cards.

We used to buy them for that horrible stick of gum that was inside the package!

The only other forum Im a member of and frequent is a sports card forum. I still collect football cards now. The hobbie is really going strong in some aspects. The cards they have out now blow me away. Autographs of stars and rookies combined with patches of jersey or other memorabilia just make some beautiful cards. They blow everything I collcted as a kid (lol Im 29 so Im still relatively young) out ofthe water.

Unless the older cards were real rare they just arent going for mch in todays market. Some sports take in more than others too. lebron's rookie autograph from equisite will fetch over 10k (1500-3000 a pack for that brand lol). I can post pics later of some of my recent pulls just to give an idea for those who havent seen the recent stuff.

I love the card industry. Its extremely interesting. I could go on and one haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only other forum Im a member of and frequent is a sports card forum. I still collect football cards now. The hobbie is really going strong in some aspects. The cards they have out now blow me away. Autographs of stars and rookies combined with patches of jersey or other memorabilia just make some beautiful cards. They blow everything I collcted as a kid (lol Im 29 so Im still relatively young) out ofthe water.

Unless the older cards were real rare they just arent going for mch in todays market. Some sports take in more than others too. lebron's rookie autograph from equisite will fetch over 10k (1500-3000 a pack for that brand lol). I can post pics later of some of my recent pulls just to give an idea for those who havent seen the recent stuff.

I love the card industry. Its extremely interesting. I could go on and one haha.

I think you're onto something Yoccos in that the cards that are valued now are the special inserts. When I was young Juan Gonzalez had a good year in baseball and I had this rare special insert of his that was listed at $80.00 in Beckett. I should have sold it right then. I have some special inserts like a couple of Derek Jeters, Michael Jordan, a Kobe Bryant card with a piece of hardwood on it that says "game floor." That one was once worth a lot but I'm not paying to look up the value in Beckett.

Like I said, I guess if these became valuable it'd be cool to pass them on the kids. But at this point, I tried my cards for a new driver or set of wedges. Haha. Basically it comes down to something that just sits there versus something I'd get use out of.

The Kobe Bryant "Game Floor" card I have says the hardwood is a piece that Kobe actually played on. You'd think that'd be valuable.

I can see if its in my Beckett for ya! I havethe multisport one which is kinda thin.

I think with the cards you have now, as time passes they will be really valuable. Mainly because people are just unloading them. Not sayin dont trade for a driver lol but eventually theyll go up.

Youre right on with the inserts though. Its funny because some of those 90's basketball card insert sets are going nuts. So hard to tell with the trends. I mean Tim Tebow is as hot as Bradford for rookie cards.

Plus ebay has really messed with book value in good and bad ways. Lots going on haha. More than when I was younger just trying to get an Alonzo Mourning fleer ultra rookie card. I still love going into my local card shop to just shoot the shiz. Some of them are still about the hobbie.

I can see if its in my Beckett for ya! I havethe multisport one which is kinda thin.

I think with the cards you have now, as time passes they will be really valuable. Mainly because people are just unloading them. Not sayin dont trade for a driver lol but eventually theyll go up.

Youre right on with the inserts though. Its funny because some of those 90's basketball card insert sets are going nuts. So hard to tell with the trends. I mean Tim Tebow is as hot as Bradford for rookie cards.

Plus ebay has really messed with book value in good and bad ways. Lots going on haha. More than when I was younger just trying to get an Alonzo Mourning fleer ultra rookie card. I still love going into my local card shop to just shoot the shiz. Some of them are still about the hobbie.

That'd be awesome! Can I PM a couple cards to you to look up?

I collected baseball cards as a kid. Nothing better than buying a box and spending all afternoon opening up the packs and seeing what you got. It's been a while since I looked through my collection, most of it is still back at my parents house. Cal Ripken Jr was my favorite, so I've got a whole album of his cards and a couple of his rookie cards.

Fo sho! Hopefully I got em! If not Ill find out haha.

That'd be awesome! Can I PM a couple cards to you to look up?

I still love it. Its a lot less because golf is keeping me occupied but man when you get a great card, its an awesome feeling. My youngest loves it. He will sit and look up every random card he has lol. His thing a few months ago was wanting to sell everything on ebay lol.

I collected baseball cards as a kid. Nothing better than buying a box and spending all afternoon opening up the packs and seeing what you got. It's been a while since I looked through my collection, most of it is still back at my parents house. Cal Ripken Jr was my favorite, so I've got a whole album of his cards and a couple of his rookie cards.

I was a big time hockey card collector... i remember my Pavel Bure and Jaromir Jagr rookie cards, good times! And the hype over the Lindros rookie... good memories

I used to collect cards growing up. I'm starting to get to a point where some of my more valuable cards could go up a little in value if they make the HOF (you know you're getting old when...). I actually have a Roberto Alomar rookie card and wouldn't you know it he's getting inducted this year. Can't say that about the Mark McGwire rookie that everyone was going gaga over back in the day.

Still have 2 storage containers full of Baseball and some football cards. Also have a set of PGA tour cards....... Haven't looked at them for 5 yrs or so.

I still have a Lindros jersey lol.

Youre right Spank though. Hof usually helps values out! Not every case but most.

I still have my collection gathering dust in storage. I have some pretty decent cards... but I made the worst invesment in my life when I thought, as a young kid, that buying more than 100 Frank Thomas cards would bring me great riches.

P.S. I also feel the need to say that I hate the sox.

Do any of the modern era sports cards command any money? back when I used to collect some as a kid Jordan card were commanding some nice money but that was it.

Yessir!!!!!!! It usually comes with rookies though. Some stars have certain pull though. In football, always count on Favre, Manning, Brady and some of the other up and comers. RB's and QB's usually are quite the money makers. One of LBJ's rookie cards is 10k +. Crazy stuff out there man. I'm a nerd for it. HA. But a serious nerd.
Do any of the modern era sports cards command any money? back when I used to collect some as a kid Jordan card were commanding some nice money but that was it.

I used to open up Beckett's as a kid with more passion and interest than with the WSJ as an adult.

I probably have a couple thousand or so baseball cards. A few of which a decade ago were worth quite a bit. Of course that was a decade ago, I have no idea if cards have gone up on price or down since then.
I've deffinatly thought about ebaying a lot of the good ones but i don't have that much time on my hands right now >.<

I've got a crap load of baseball cards. Mostly from the 80's and 90's. The value will come back on them eventually.

I've got a PSA 10 Bonds rookie... hoping I can sell that for more than $20 some day.

I got an Aikman rookie. Do I hear $5000? No? lol

I collected from 1980-1996 before everything got so mass produced and specialized. My dad was a huge collector but now does mostly memorabilia stuff now as opposed to cards. I still have all of my sets, stars, etc. and couldn't even say what they're worth.

Thread revival!

I have quite a few cards. I collected them throughout my whole childhood. None of the new worthless stuff at Wal-Mart, good stuff. I have some valuable cards. I haven't payed attention to any of it AT ALL in the last year but honestly I don't think many of them are going to hold their value or appreciate like I have always hoped. My crown jewel (which is going nowhere!) is my Michael Jordan rookie 1986 Topps... not graded but probably a 9.5. Worth a little under a grand at this moment. I've got some Topps Sterling cards (1-of-25) from 2007 that are probably worth $200 apiece now and I have no idea what the value will be like ten years from now. Piles of rookie cards, most not worth more than ten bucks but some good ones. So I ask, what would you do if you have no interest in it any more, keep them and hope they appreciate, money will be more useful in college than it will be now, or sell them (everything but MJ) and buy some nice irons and save the rest for college/car/etc...

I had probably 1000 sports cards from 1988 to 1996. I think it's sad cards are declining overall. While there is still a unique market for them, overall the demand is very low. There were just too many of them being produced. I wish there was a cap on how many cards were printed, it would really bring up the value.

Back