Toddo

Reaction score
Handicap
I currently have Harmon Tour Design shafts in my V-Steel 3 and 5 woods. I am thinking of upgrading them to Aldila NV-65 gram shafts in regular flex. Since I can't seem to find a lefty R9 3 and 5 wood at reasonable prices, thinking the money would be better spent upgrading shafts. Thoughts?

Getting the right shaft is always a great idea. However rather than pick the shaft you think is an upgrade, I strongly recommend going through a fitting.

Getting the right shaft is always a great idea. However rather than pick the shaft you think is an upgrade, I strongly recommend going through a fitting.

+2. There are soooo many shaft options out there, getting fit has never been more important than it is today.

Hi all,

I'm new here, don't know if this is the right area to post this, if not please direct me to the correct thread, but I have a perplexing predicament.

I'm in the market for new irons, been researching for over a month now and have narrowed my list to either Mizuno JPX-800 or Tour Edge XCG4. I've been to the PGA Tour Superstore and hit both clubs in their simulators, been to Golfsmith and hit the JPX-800 in their hitting area. The JPX-800 is a great club, of course Mizuno is a Cadillac in the golf industry.

Now here comes the perplexing issue, its in the area of shafts - At both PGA Tour Superstore and Golfsmith I used the Mizuno Swing DNA analysis system. At the Superstore the Mizuno system recommended a KBS Tour X soft stepped or Project X 6.0 shaft, at Golfsmith the same system recommend a DG S300 or Project X 5.5 shaft.

My swing Speed with the 6 iron averages in the 91 mph range. I also have hit the DG S300 at the Superstore and on the course, my current set of TM's has the S300. Ball flight is very erratic. When the sales associate at the Suprstore put the KBS X shaft in the Mizuno, ball flight was no where near as severe on my misses which is a big hook, ball flight starightened out and I even was able to draw the ball instead of hook. I liked the X stiff shaft and how, at least on the sim, it minimized my big miss.

Now I'm concerned about purchasing clubs with a stock DG S300 after hitting an iron with the KBS X.

My big question is how could there be that big a disparity between swing analysis sessions and recommended shafts at the two different stores?

Cheers

Hi all,

I'm new here, don't know if this is the right area to post this, if not please direct me to the correct thread, but I have a perplexing predicament.

I'm in the market for new irons, been researching for over a month now and have narrowed my list to either Mizuno JPX-800 or Tour Edge XCG4. I've been to the PGA Tour Superstore and hit both clubs in their simulators, been to Golfsmith and hit the JPX-800 in their hitting area. The JPX-800 is a great club, of course Mizuno is a Cadillac in the golf industry.

Now here comes the perplexing issue, its in the area of shafts - At both PGA Tour Superstore and Golfsmith I used the Mizuno Swing DNA analysis system. At the Superstore the Mizuno system recommended a KBS Tour X soft stepped or Project X 6.0 shaft, at Golfsmith the same system recommend a DG S300 or Project X 5.5 shaft.

My swing Speed with the 6 iron averages in the 91 mph range. I also have hit the DG S300 at the Superstore and on the course, my current set of TM's has the S300. Ball flight is very erratic. When the sales associate at the Suprstore put the KBS X shaft in the Mizuno, ball flight was no where near as severe on my misses which is a big hook, ball flight starightened out and I even was able to draw the ball instead of hook. I liked the X stiff shaft and how, at least on the sim, it minimized my big miss.

Now I'm concerned about purchasing clubs with a stock DG S300 after hitting an iron with the KBS X.

My big question is how could there be that big a disparity between swing analysis sessions and recommended shafts at the two different stores?

Cheers

I would say since everyones swing varies from day to day, that you just got different results because you were swinging slightly different the second time around. I would do a full fitting with a PGA professional if you can, and then you can feel confident that you have the right clubs and shafts for your game.

Based on what your saying I would eliminate the S300. KBS and Project X have more similar ball flights and came back 3 out of 4 times. Like CB said, chalk up the odd reading to a few bad swings and stick with the average.

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks for the input!

I went and hit the JPX-800 today at another store with both the KBS X and a DG S300. Couldn't hit either worth a darn....

I think I may have to practice some more, lots of snow here in GA, and then get fitted. Theres a shop that uses the Trackman system near me. So until the Tour Edge Demo day in Feb. I'll just have to wait and get my swing checked a couple of more times... :banghead:

Well was a lot of snow and been too cold for me. :curse:

Ive been trying to figure out what shaft to get for my driver. Ive been having problems with my current one and want to upgrade.
Little bit of background on ol' driver: pretty much goes where it pleases (left or right) and distance of around 280 but usually not more than 20 yds off center.

Currently I have an Aldila NVS 65 Reg flex. Pretty much the only direction I know I want to go is with a stiff flex.
My SS is around 95-100 and the driver I'm using is a 9.5*.

Any suggestions?

Alot of people need to remember that a good swing with a bad shaft will always perform better than a bad swing with a good shaft.

Ive been trying to figure out what shaft to get for my driver. Ive been having problems with my current one and want to upgrade.
Little bit of background on ol' driver: pretty much goes where it pleases (left or right) and distance of around 280 but usually not more than 20 yds off center.

Currently I have an Aldila NVS 65 Reg flex. Pretty much the only direction I know I want to go is with a stiff flex.
My SS is around 95-100 and the driver I'm using is a 9.5*.

Any suggestions?

With a SS of 95-100 and seeing that kind of distance, I would NOT change a thing. That is incredible distance based off of your swing speed and I would be hard pressed to change anything.

I agree with everyone else, I'm nobody to take advice from but it seems that a fitting is the way to go for your best results. Good luck

With a SS of 95-100 and seeing that kind of distance, I would NOT change a thing. That is incredible distance based off of your swing speed and I would be hard pressed to change anything.
I normally hit my clubs a fair distance but don't have a huge SS. Normally I play a 3W off the tee and outdrive my friends driving distances. (220-240) better to sacrifice 40 yards for accuracy IMO.

Back