First ever lesson scheduled...

tdinbr

Water hazards are tough!
Reaction score
Handicap
So the wife gave me a Christmas present of golf lessons at a local course. Two 2-hour sessions from a PGA professional.
I have not met the guy yet but he is the pro for the course and I have played there a couple of times already. They have a Lakes course and a Links course and both are pretty nice.
My questions are - what do I need to focus on for my lesson? Is that up to me? Can I tell him I want a ball striking lesson as well as a putting lesson with my 2 sessions?
Just not sure how this works since it will be a first time for me. I just hope he doesn't laugh too hard when I show him my swing....!

2 two-hour sessions? I would try and get 4 one-hour sessions first off.

So the wife gave me a Christmas present of golf lessons at a local course. Two 2-hour sessions from a PGA professional.
I have not met the guy yet but he is the pro for the course and I have played there a couple of times already. They have a Lakes course and a Links course and both are pretty nice.
My questions are - what do I need to focus on for my lesson? Is that up to me? Can I tell him I want a ball striking lesson as well as a putting lesson with my 2 sessions?
Just not sure how this works since it will be a first time for me. I just hope he doesn't laugh too hard when I show him my swing....!

Other than that Im sure he has seen worse swings before, and not to worry. He'll be there to help you with whatever you want to improve.

I've had several lessons and feel I get the most out of them if I show up with what in particular I want to improve. You know you're game better than anyone, unless you are trying to do a complete swing change (which would take more than a couple of lessons) you should be upfront about what you want to get out of the lesson.

The two hour lessons will let you play 9 though. I've had plenty of lessons but never had a playing lesson. I wouldn't pass on the opportunity to either.

It doesn't say anywhere on the certificate that these are "playing lessons" so I doubt that I will get that opportunity but it can't hurt to ask I guess...

I have taken about 12 lessons now. At first he just observed me hitting iron shots and we went from there. He videotaped my swing, worked on getting me on plane, etc. I usually tell him where I feel I need the most help when I go and we work on that particular area. A two hour lesson is long enough to cover several areas. I don't recommend a play lesson unless you are going to continue on after the two lessons. If you're like me, two won't be nearly enough and you'll be hooked.

I have taken about 12 lessons now. At first he just observed me hitting iron shots and we went from there. He videotaped my swing, worked on getting me on plane, etc. I usually tell him where I feel I need the most help when I go and we work on that particular area. A two hour lesson is long enough to cover several areas. I don't recommend a play lesson unless you are going to continue on after the two lessons. If you're like me, two won't be nearly enough and you'll be hooked.

Kelly's experience is similar to mine. I've had a standing lesson every month for the past year and I go in with what I think I want to work on. My instructor typically will watch me hit a few balls with the appropirate club for what I want to work on, and we go from there. Sometimes, especially if I'm struggling with something, my instructor will pinpoint something that is the cause versus the symptom and we will work on that.

Regardless, a pre-lesson conversation is important so you both have a starting place. Like Kelly said, once you have a few lessons, you'll be hooked.

I just figured playing a 13 hdcp, guys got the basics it would seem.

I've taken lessons every year for 30 years. More just tune ups than lessons I guess. I got to my pro everytime something comes up. I'm lucky to have had the same guy all these years as well.
For me, a half hour is more than enough. Don't think I would care for two hours.

Are the lessons at Pelican Point?

I don't, but I played in a tournament at Santa Maria last year and one of the guys I was playing with had recently taken lessons at Pelican Point. He talked like they helped a lot and even mentioned going back and having more.

I don't, but I played in a tournament at Santa Maria last year and one of the guys I was playing with had recently taken lessons at Pelican Point. He talked like they helped a lot and even mentioned going back and having more.

Good to know! Thanks!!

Have you tried to hit balls almost non-stop for two hours? Exhausting! (Unless you are in great shape and are used to it.) Heck, banging balls for an hour is rough enough, I couldn't imagine going for two solid. An hour lesson is a good starting point for a pro to see your swing and start working on major changes, then half hour lessons from there to tweak things along from there would be my preference. You can only change so much at one time and retain it and retrain your body to do it. There may be 10 changes that need to be fixed, buy you have to do 1 and 2 before you can do anything with 3 or 7 and if you can't fix number 4 then number 8 will never happen, etc. I would try to break things up more - for me.

Have you tried to hit balls almost non-stop for two hours? Exhausting! (Unless you are in great shape and are used to it.) Heck, banging balls for an hour is rough enough, I couldn't imagine going for two solid. An hour lesson is a good starting point for a pro to see your swing and start working on major changes, then half hour lessons from there to tweak things along from there would be my preference. You can only change so much at one time and retain it and retrain your body to do it. There may be 10 changes that need to be fixed, buy you have to do 1 and 2 before you can do anything with 3 or 7 and if you can't fix number 4 then number 8 will never happen, etc. I would try to break things up more - for me.

I agree 100%.

I have already emailed him this morning asking if I can take the lessons in 1 hour increments.
Trying to set something up for next week, weather permitting...

Back