Would you recommend getting fit?

BulldogsGolf

Future PGA Professional
Reaction score
Handicap
Before you immediatly say yes, hear me out. I am 16, 5'10". I have no doubt I will get taller. Since I am still "growing", is it a good or bad idea to get fit for new irons? I don't know if there is a Golftec Expert here that posts on this kind of thing but thanks for any help I can get! Thanks,

BulldogsGolf:bulgy-eyes:

Yeah bro, always get fit for your sticks if you have that option, despite your youth. Even after a year or so it's not a big deal to go and hit off a lie board and recheck everything. And if your sticks need lengthening, as I assume you may get taller, that's a pretty easy fix as well.

Yup. I am glad I did, and I only just turned 17.

Yes. I am 6'4" and was going to purchase +2 inch clubs with a 3* up lie. After fitting they actually showed I onlu neded a +1/2 and 2* up lie. Well worth the fitting and I saved a bunch of money not having to custom order clubs (which would have been the wrong size).

Is this a trick question?

Ok, so my next question is how much does fitting cost? At say a golf galaxy or other? (don't have a golfTEC nearby, sorry guys)

Yes. Get fit.

Yes. In fact the last three sets of irons I've played I actually went used and spent the saved money on getting them fit. I'ld take a 2 year old set that's fitted to me any day of the week over something shiny and off the shelf

Ok, so my next question is how much does fitting cost? At say a golf galaxy or other? (don't have a golfTEC nearby, sorry guys)

gonna have to call GG for a quote. But my last set I needed them to just bend them 1* flat. that cost me about $50 I think. Sorry I can't remember too well cuz I payed for the fitting and the clubs at the same time.

Yes. You buy clothes & shoes that fit don't you? Golf clubs are not one size fits all either. Clubs have to fit you to be your best.

gonna have to call GG for a quote. But my last set I needed them to just bend them 1* flat. that cost me about $50 I think. Sorry I can't remember too well cuz I payed for the fitting and the clubs at the same time.

My GG says that it is free. A simulator to try them out, buy them, then get them fit for free. Guess where I am going soon :D

It was 50 for me at golf galaxy but they applied it towards the clubs when I bought them.

My GG says that it is free. A simulator to try them out, buy them, then get them fit for free. Guess where I am going soon :D

:banghead: Now I'm pissed......... My friend works at GG too. He would have told me if GG was screwing me. If the GG by you is going to throw the fitting in for free then I'ld hop allllllllllllll over it.

I have always had a "free" fitting because the fee was applied to the new set of sticks.

:banghead: Now I'm pissed......... My friend works at GG too. He would have told me if GG was screwing me. If the GG by you is going to throw the fitting in for free then I'ld hop allllllllllllll over it.

I emailed the GG just to make sure. If it is right (which the golf Galaxy website says its free) then that is where I will go....

You know bulldog, I just re-read your original post. When I was 16 my dad and his buddy's (all single digit hdcp players) WOULDNT let me get fitted. The reasoning being when I was 16 I was still fairly short (late growth spurt, what you gonna do?)
and if I got fitted my dad knew I'ld have to do it again in a few years.

I still say getting a fitting is always the right choice, but given your circumstances I'ld understand.

I emailed the GG just to make sure. If it is right (which the golf Galaxy website says its free) then that is where I will go....

I just got off the phone with my buddy who works at GG. He says my last set they never charged me 50 bucks for the fitting but he does remember me saying something back then that made him think that I had misunderstood about the price of the fitting.
Fittings are free when you purchase a set of irons. They are normally $50 bucks if you bring your own set in.

I just got off the phone with my buddy who works at GG. He says my last set they never charged me 50 bucks for the fitting but he does remember me saying something back then that made him think that I had misunderstood about the price of the fitting.
Fittings are free when you purchase a set of irons. They are normally $50 bucks if you bring your own set in.

That sounds like an incredible deal both ways. Golf galaxy is growing on me....alot.....

You know bulldog, I just re-read your original post. When I was 16 my dad and his buddy's (all single digit hdcp players) WOULDNT let me get fitted. The reasoning being when I was 16 I was still fairly short (late growth spurt, what you gonna do?)
and if I got fitted my dad knew I'ld have to do it again in a few years.

I still say getting a fitting is always the right choice, but given your circumstances I'ld understand.

Well, I am 5'10, and my father is 6', and I'm taller than my mother. I don't think that I'm gonna get ALOT taller, but a touch. If I have to have them slightly tweaked in a few years then I will. Whatcha gonna do? LOL

That sounds like an incredible deal both ways. Golf galaxy is growing on me....alot.....

Remember, there is a big difference between a fitting and comparing clubs off the rack.

It was 50 for me at golf galaxy but they applied it towards the clubs when I bought them.
I think a lot of places do that to deter people from coming in and getting a free fitting, then going and buying their clubs on the internet. Makes sense to me.

Bulldog - I'll join with the others in recommending you get fitted. Small adjustments can make a big difference.

Remember, there is a big difference between a fitting and comparing clubs off the rack.

I actually bought my j38s off the rack from the golf headquarters here in town, but it was the closest thing to a fitting I've ever had

Got to do the shaft optimizer. Check
hit clubs before purchase. check
adjusted to my measurements using lie board. Check ( 3 degrees upright, I would have never thought I needed that much!:bulgy-eyes:)

The length and px 6.0 were already perfect for me, which made it easier to buy off the rack, but they did the adjustments for free since I bought the clubs from them. I didn't know that was part of the deal, I expected to pay for that. Cool stuff.

If you don't go through a full formal fitting, I'd say at least make sure the 3 above you can do/get. Do you do anything else other than this is a true fitting?? I've never walked into a store and said "please fit me for irons" so I'm honestly not sure what all it even entails lol.

Keep in mind even if you get taller you may not need longer clubs. The length of the club is related to how close your wrists are to the floor. I'm about 6'2 and use std length.

I met a guy that has fit pro basketball players and he commented that standard length works for some of them too. They may be 6'8 but there arms are so long that they don't need longer clubs.

The big thing will be shaft flex. You want to get that right. I just learnt I've been using the wrong shafts for years.

Back