9-Iron Man

Exciting Times
Reaction score
Handicap
High
This features Instructor Search winner Martin Hall. Anybody watching? I don't mind him actually.

I'm Watching it now , I rather like his insight on the swing . Lots of knowledge I think will be of help !
But I Hope Michael breed is not on every show !

Agree about Breed. He's got his show, and that's fine but this is not his show.

I'm watching it now and I like Martin's style. I would really like to take lessons from him, much more subdued than Screaming Michael for sure.

Couldn't watch tonite. What are they discussing and showing?

I am hoping that Breed is there for Martin's first show to help him with his TV jitters , but it appears Martin does not need the help , he appears to be right at home with this show imo .
Looking forward to more of his shows ..... Breed is alright but something about him doesnt make me want to watch him as often on his lessons .

The pendulum or tempo tip that Martin Hall was teaching on this show, is one of the best tips I have ever used for pitch shots. I count one - two in my head with a smooth tempo and the shots around the green are much more consistant without chunking/skulling the ball. It's when I leave that tempo in the truck is when the rough edge comes out on those pitch shots.....

Couldn't watch tonite. What are they discussing and showing?

Hitting it farther, stopping a slice, putting practice strokes. It starts again right now.

I'm with you DawgDaddy , I like his unEXCITED approach to the show and lessons !!!

The pendulum or tempo tip that Martin Hall was teaching on this show, is one of the best tips I have ever used for pitch shots. I count one - two in my head with a smooth tempo and the shots around the green are much more consistant without chunking/skulling the ball. It's when I leave that tempo in the truck is when the rough edge comes out on those pitch shots.....

That tip is excellent and that is also the same tempo tip I was taught by my instructor. I also use a similar tip for my full swing. I really like Martin's style. I find Michael Breed hard to watch when he's in the studio, but his on the course shows are actually so much better because he isn't as hyper, used car salesman, screaming

And this was a good show for me , as I am the black hole hitter !!!! So his instruction will be tried when the weather turns for the better !!!

I know that feeling OG, that is how I chip, with a 1....2 tempo in my head, but it is soooooooo easy to just "leave it in the truck" as you said. I putt with that same tempo, and I just sometimes seem to loose the ability to count to 2.

I liked a lot of the stuff he had to say. Lots of good tips. I just didn't like the fact that at the end of certain points he would eat his words or they would just be too hard to comprehend and I'd have to rewind it and jack up the volume just to hear it clearly. Maybe it's the accent.

I liked a lot of the stuff he had to say. Lots of good tips. I just didn't like the fact that at the end of certain points he would eat his words or they would just be too hard to comprehend and I'd have to rewind it and jack up the volume just to hear it clearly. Maybe it's the accent.

I'd say he's definitely got a bit of a learning curve ahead of him, but I think he'll be a great addition to the Golf Channel line up. He's a welcome breath of fresh air compared to Breed's in your faceness. I like Breed, don't get me wrong, but Martin has a very different approach to his teaching that I'd say compliments The Golf Fix. It's appealing to those who like the instruction, but don't like Breed.

I thought this was a good first show and even though it was only a half hour, he packed a lot of good tips in IMO. A lot more it seemed compared to last night's Golf Fix. I hope this show sticks around because it is definitely worth watching.

I enjoyed the show but I felt they tried to cover to much material in a 30 minute show. Would have like to seen him give more info on fewer subjects.

the guy just gets on my nerves

I liked the first show and I really liked him as an instructor. Breed was there just for the first show and will not be there again, which is fine I get the idea. He seemed very relaxed and I will definatly be watching this show every week as I do "the golf fix". I think the fact they seem polar opposites is good for the golf channel, and hopefully this becomes a one hour show like the fix because I agree with the person that said they tried to cover too much in a half hour. Good first show.

And this was a good show for me , as I am the black hole hitter !!!! So his instruction will be tried when the weather turns for the better !!!

You and me both, man! I'm intrigued by his point about addressing the ball in the middle of the face with the driver on the ground being a problem and leading to that "black hole" hit. Can't wait to try out his recommendation - once all this damn snow melts :angry:

I liked the first show and I really liked him as an instructor. Breed was there just for the first show and will not be there again, which is fine I get the idea. He seemed very relaxed and I will definatly be watching this show every week as I do "the golf fix". I think the fact they seem polar opposites is good for the golf channel, and hopefully this becomes a one hour show like the fix because I agree with the person that said they tried to cover too much in a half hour. Good first show.

I didn't think it was too overloaded, but I do want to see this as an hour long show. It would sure beat watching the same episode back to back.

Liked Martin Hall because of the way he uses contraptions to demonstrate..
The pendulum was a great example where he actually swung the pendulum on his left hand and with his right hand sync'd the swinging of the club.
Helps to visualize and kinda gets stuck in the head which is a good thing :)

I'm Watching it now , I rather like his insight on the swing . Lots of knowledge I think will be of help !
But I Hope Michael breed is not on every show !

+2 A little goes a long way.

I actually like Michael Breed's show. I am not so sure about this one, especially since I found a lot of advice he gave as being contradictory to what Breed says on his show.

Driver distance. Breed says lag and turn. Hall says point of impact, and not the traditional sweet spot, the center of the clubface.
Don't hold spine angle steady? Really?
Short game. Don't accelerate through impact? Yes, the tempo advice is good, but that shouldn't be coupled with telling people not to accelerate through impact.
Fix slice by wiping. This may work, but I think it may also lead to early release. Same for the advice on hitting up on the ball. But... I am going to try these out at the range today.
Finally, the fix for missing short putts is to take the practice putt from behind the ball? That begs credibility.

I thought it was funny when Hall said that maintaining your spine angle was rubbish. Did you see the look on Breed's face? He is all about maintaining the spine angle so I thought that was a bit odd when he didn't counter it......but it is Hall's show......supposedly.

I actually like Michael Breed's show. I am not so sure about this one, especially since I found a lot of advice he gave as being contradictory to what Breed says on his show.

Driver distance. Breed says lag and turn. Hall says point of impact, and not the traditional sweet spot, the center of the clubface.
Don't hold spine angle steady? Really?
Short game. Don't accelerate through impact? Yes, the tempo advice is good, but that shouldn't be coupled with telling people not to accelerate through impact.
Fix slice by wiping. This may work, but I think it may also lead to early release. Same for the advice on hitting up on the ball. But... I am going to try these out at the range today.
Finally, the fix for missing short putts is to take the practice putt from behind the ball? That begs credibility.

I thought it was funny when Hall said that maintaining your spine angle was rubbish. Did you see the look on Breed's face? He is all about maintaining the spine angle so I thought that was a bit odd when he didn't counter it......but it is Hall's show......supposedly.

I think in these cases, both can be right. There is no one answer that covers everyone. We all play the game a little differently. What works for some, might not work for the next person. I think that's why it's good to have another instruction show. Breed and Hall are very different people. Each has their own take on things. Some will work, some won't.

Back