Hats - do you wear golf-specific or not?

92Esquire

Reaction score
Handicap
6.02*10^23
I have a hat issue.

First the ground rules. I WILL NOT wear a Titleist hat. I can't wear Flex-Fits (they give me migranes). Visors are such a huge NO to me that I can barely put it into words. No mesh/foam trucker hats. Sloped-forehead hats are the only style I really care to wear.

I'm struggling to find hats that work for me in golf. After several years, I finally have some great hats that I wear fishing, but I'm guessing folks aren't into golfers wearing dark olive and camo hats too often.

I've bought a number of ballcaps over the past year for golfing, and have been somewhat disappointed by almost all of them. I've tried Nike Dri-Fits (OK), Mizunos (a bit too "upright" if that makes sense) and a Bridgestone Golf (nice but sun yellow and I had to go through a half dozen to find one without the brim off center).

What do y'all do for hats? Pro-shop at your local club? Favorite sports team logo? Ball/club/bag company? Or do you go with a non-golf specific logo (Columbia, Polo, etc)? Am I putting way too much thought into this?

I love hats. I too suffer from migraines, and I would recommend the PUMA hats. They have a terry cloth liner and are extremely comfortable.

I vary a lot. Basically, if I like how the hat looks I'll wear it. Hats I have from the company, sports hats, corporate logo hats, hats from specific places, etc.

I vary a lot. Basically, if I like how the hat looks I'll wear it. Hats I have from the company, sports hats, corporate logo hats, hats from specific places, etc.

Say Osahar-

Just saw you're in Palm Bay. I lived in Melbourne for 8 years, left in 2004. If course, I wasn't golfing then - frosts me to think of how many potentially great golfing days I missed. :loser:

Love hats, I try & buy one from every "nice" course I play. My rules are similar to the OP's, no trucker style crap, no visors, etc. I want the hat to conform to my head & stay put. I like the softer style ones where you could almost roll it up & put it in your pocket.

Over the years I have collected hats from just about everyplace I have vacationed at too, probably have 200+ hats currently.

I like to wear a company hat that I have clubs with.

Basically every brand actually. Titleist, Callaway, Ping, TM, Yes!, Cobra

I picked up a hat on my first real round of golf ever at Palmetto Dunes in Hilton Head (it has the course logo and stuff on it). It fits so perfectly that it's really the only hat I wear anymore.

Basically, I'm with the OP on the style of hats I like. It's tough to find a good one.

I wear Ping hats.

The kind of hat you're describing is referred to as an "Unstructured" hat. They're the only kind I'll wear too.

Most of the major companies out there offer them, so you shouldn't have any problem finding one at a local golf retailer.

www.golfballs.com has a good selection of hats too (including some I haven't seen in stores locally)

I like to wear a company hat that I have clubs with.

Basically every brand actually. Titleist, Callaway, Ping, TM, Yes!, Cobra

That's the one thing I don't like doing, I have a TM hat but it hangs on my wall & I never ever wear it.

I've acquired enough golf-specific hats that they're all I wear. And yes, they have to match the outfit.

Say Osahar-

Just saw you're in Palm Bay. I lived in Melbourne for 8 years, left in 2004. If course, I wasn't golfing then - frosts me to think of how many potentially great golfing days I missed. :loser:

Don't feel too bad. I've been here for 4 1/2 years, and only went to the range twice now (last Saturday and today) and 0 rounds of golf so far. :loser:

I do NOT only wear golf-specific caps on the course. Although the one I got a Pebble Beach has become my favorite. I'll wear anything form the 88 Chevy to caps of our suppliers to Chiefs caps. I don't mind structured caps but I do not like "truckers" style. My caps are pretty evenly split between structured and not.

I always wear Callaway hats. As always, they must match my outfit.

I'm a hat ho, I prefer Flex Fit hats although it's not a deal breaker. As long as it's unstructured and not mesh, I'll wear it. As far as golf specific hats I've got a few TaylorMade and a Callaway. I don't own any Callaway clubs but I liked the hat.

I wear golf-specific baseball caps (Mizuno, Bridgestone or Precept usually) and the traditional Tam O'Shanter hats.
Im not really a fan of the visors. Im a redhead and we sunburn pretty easily and lemmie tell ya, a sunburn on your scalp is probably the most painful sunburn there is.
Im not a fan of the fitted hats either. I prefer the ones that have the adjustable strap on the back.
I recently bought a black Bridgestone hat to go along with my black Mizuno mock polo and my black khakis. This year Im going to be rocking it Johnny Cash/Gary Player style. On the warmer days Im probably going to wear my stone-colored Bridgestone hat, my white Mizuno mock polo and my tan khakis. During the dog days of summer, black is just too darned hot.

I am particular about my hats also my favorite is one I got off of ebay it's an Aldila NV hat, never seen anyone else wear one. I also wear visors, only because golfing in 100* weather here in UT is killer with a full hat on. The only thing I worry about in my hats is the front they can't be real tall.

I like the large brimmed hats and use the Tilly T5. Very comfortable, big brim covering entire head. Designed to sit on the head. Never blown off. Surprisingly cool. Obviously no corporate names.

I also have an australian manufactured hat. Very much like the T5, but of a different material that can be soaked in water to act as a cooler. Not as stylish though.

I have a LOT of hats and I'll only wear a golf specific hat. I also just cannot wear a flex fit hat, they just don't fit me well. They are either to tight or way to loose.

I saw grea hats down the show... Ahead makes a great hat but most of the clubs around me have terrible logos.

i might need to get the charlie hoffman flatbill titleist hat haha. maybe all of them are like that, but he looked more like a major leauge pitcher than a pro golfer. although im a flatbill guy so it may work

i might need to get the charlie hoffman flatbill titleist hat haha. maybe all of them are like that, but he looked more like a major leauge pitcher than a pro golfer. although im a flatbill guy so it may work

I don't see those hats anymore... Titleist had hats made by New Era but only a few stores around here have some dusty ones lying around. That is one of the many tour hats that will likely never see retail.

That is one of the many tour hats that will likely never see retail.

We can only hope! IMO the only people who can get away without putting at least some curve in their bills are old men. I'd rather see people wearing them backward than to not curve the bill! (And I hate seeing caps worn backward - - - unless you're the catcher!)

I've got some curve in the bill but I like them a little flatter than normal...

I've got a Red Nike golf hat the I usually wear unless I'm wearing a polo that I have a matching hat for. I've got a white Cleveland Browns polo that I will team up with a white Cleveland Browns hat. But most of the time I'm wearing my Nike hat. It's an adjustable back and it's about the only adjustable back hat that I will wear. I picked it up when I was at Disney in Florida back about 12 years ago. It's got Mickey Mouse golfing stitched on the side. I'd like to find another one. I guess I'll have to head back to Disney to get one. Most of my hats are flex fit or fitted.

From the pics we've seen from the show, it looks like you curve them enough!

Some of my hats have lots of curve and some have a little bit of curve. I can't do a flatbill or a mostly flatbill.

Back