Are you kidding me?

Mustng5

Reaction score
Handicap
I contact Nike about installing a Str-8 fit adapter on my own personal shaft, they instruct me to send it in through a local retailer, so I go to Golfsmith, he calls Nike and the guy tells him that it would cost $75 for Nike to install the adapter. Is this a joke! I mean Nike come on!!!

Not fun man. I went through Ebay and bought the Str8 Fit adapter for a really good price. It was the first generation. Even with the newer Str8 fit adapters you could easily get it shipped to you for about half that price. Then if you have the epoxy it's a real easy process to put the adapter on.

I contact Nike about installing a Str-8 fit adapter on my own personal shaft, they instruct me to send it in through a local retailer, so I go to Golfsmith, he calls Nike and the guy tells him that it would cost $75 for Nike to install the adapter. Is this a joke! I mean Nike come on!!!

They have always charged $50-$75 I believe for the service. Originally most of the companies would not do installations because it was their way of keeping shafts sold through their partners. I know most companies have evolved into doing this as a service and in some cases even offering sleeves, but not all.

I got the adapter for 25.00 om Ebay and Golftown installed it for me for 5 bucks. Suuuuper easy. I would install it myself on a new shaft if I did it again.

They have always charged $50-$75 I believe for the service. Originally most of the companies would not do installations because it was their way of keeping shafts sold their partners. I know most companies have evolved into doing this as a service and in some cases even offering sleeves, but not all.

I just couldnt believe it, I think about Taylormade and Titleist and how availabe there "sleeves" are and I just thought that was nuts. I have to do it because I want it done right and the stock offering is laughable.

I will look on the Ebay and try to do it myself then, thanks guys. I dont think I will mess it up :-/

Be weary. Without the parts coming from the professionals, and being installed by the professionals, on a shaft that could not be 'made for' torque and flex coming from many different directions, the slightest imperfection can cause disaster. Especially if you are using a low quality shaft (I havent heard mention of what shaft you are using).
I will look on the Ebay and try to do it myself then, thanks guys. I dont think I will mess it up :-/

You won't at all. If I can do it without hurting myself you will be aok. I had an 10 hr epoxy but I let it cure for about 24 hours. Been out multiple times and had a couple range sessions without any awkward sounds or heads flying off. I just roughed up the tip a little without taking any chunks out so the epoxy would bond.

I just couldnt believe it, I think about Taylormade and Titleist and how availabe there "sleeves" are and I just thought that was nuts. I have to do it because I want it done right and the stock offering is laughable.

Have you called either TM or Titleist to compare costs? I think you might be surprised.

Be weary. Without the parts coming from the professionals, and being installed by the professionals, on a shaft that could not be 'made for' torque and flex coming from many different directions, the slightest imperfection can cause disaster. Especially if you are using a low quality shaft (I havent heard mention of what shaft you are using).

UST Attas 6X like in my signature, the stock offering was a joke. Yes probably best to let the professionals do this.

Have you called either TM or Titleist to compare costs? I think you might be surprised.

No I never have but atleast their "adapters" are more readily available. Im just going to let the pros take care of it.

"iheartburners" on ebay always has the adapters. She is in Singapore but the shipping is free and her product is first class. Lots of positive reviews on all the forums. If you don't see a listing just write to her and ask. She will discount for multiple purchases as well. I have bought Str8 and S2/ZL adapters from her with no problems.

I've had several conversations with a gentleman at my local pga ss, he says he's pulled several tips for people and reinstalled them on other shafts with no problem. Just an option, but I have personal zero experience. Something else to consider, not all str8fit tips are interchangable.

insert witty sig line here. Tapatalk

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I wouldn't hesitate to do this yourself. It's not rocket science here folks, but they sure would have you think it is.

Str8-Fit adaptors are much rarer than TM. I got mine via the same Singapore contact as TwoSolitudes.
The adaptors are different between the original Dymo and later MachSpeed versions.

They are very easy to fit, just epoxy them on like a normal head onto a shaft. Pulling requires the ability to grip the (very hot!) adaptor without damaging the splines.

Most of the TM adaptors on Ebay are probably fakes. Go on the usual fake Chinese sites and you'll se them selling at a few bucks each and big discounts for buying in bulk. I suspect that this where most of the Ebay items originate from. Quality may be dubious and variable.

Back