Fourputt

Head Rules Official
Reaction score
Handicap
I pose it as a question because I have to wonder what they are for. When I took driver's ed (in 1962) we were taught that we should start signaling at least 1/2 block before our turn or lane change. That included before we moved into the turn lane, if there was one. The turn signal was to warn other drivers of our intentions. Seemed like a logical and reasonable suggestion.

That being the case, when did using the turn indicator migrate from being a proposal of one's intent to being a report of one's accomplishment? These days it seems that most of those drivers who even bother to signal at all don't turn it on until they have already performed the action, or done something (slow way down or swerve across 3 lanes of traffic :banghead: ) to graphically demonstrate that they don't plan to continue on as they have been.

Ladies and gentlemen... It does no good to signal what you have already done. It isn't an accomplishment worth boasting about. I am already aware of what you have done... I can clearly see that you have already been in the turn lane for the last 200 feet. You have slowed down to 10 mph in a 45 mph zone. The only time I need a signal at that point is when you suddenly decide to rejoin the thru traffic by shooting back into my lane and trying to remove my front bumper in the process . :dohanim:

In case you can't tell, this is a major pet peeve of mine. How hard is it really to just flick one finger on the lever and tell others what you plan to do? Thank goodness brake lights are attached to the brake pedal. If they also required a manual application the streets would be a demolition derby, instead of just the bumper car ride that they now are.

Am I a lone voice in the wilderness???? :confused2:

I hate people who do not signal properly.

We were taught this process for lane changing:
M - Mirror check
S - Shoulder check
S - Signal your intent
S - Shoulder check
M - Move over

And ALWAYS allow at least a half dozen blinks before you move over.

I pose it as a question because I have to wonder what they are for. When I took driver's ed (in 1962) we were taught that we should start signaling at least 1/2 block before our turn or lane change. That included before we moved into the turn lane, if there was one. The turn signal was to warn other drivers of our intentions. Seemed like a logical and reasonable suggestion.

That being the case, when did using the turn indicator migrate from being a proposal of one's intent to being a report of one's accomplishment? These days it seems that most of those drivers who even bother to signal at all don't turn it on until they have already performed the action, or done something (slow way down or swerve across 3 lanes of traffic :banghead: ) to graphically demonstrate that they don't plan to continue on as they have been.

Ladies and gentlemen... It does no good to signal what you have already done. It isn't an accomplishment worth boasting about. I am already aware of what you have done... I can clearly see that you have already been in the turn lane for the last 200 feet. You have slowed down to 10 mph in a 45 mph zone. The only time I need a signal at that point is when you suddenly decide to rejoin the thru traffic by shooting back into my lane and trying to remove my front bumper in the process . :dohanim:

In case you can't tell, this is a major pet peeve of mine. How hard is it really to just flick one finger on the lever and tell others what you plan to do? Thank goodness brake lights are attached to the brake pedal. If they also required a manual application the streets would be a demolition derby, instead of just the bumper car ride that they now are.

Am I a lone voice in the wilderness???? :confused2:

That's always bothered me. What gets me angry now is the guy who has to send that txt message right now. Suddenly he slows down to 20mph in a 45 zone and he's slowly swerving all over the place. Everybody else now has to avoid this man who has now become the equivalent of a drunk man puking in the subway. Then after putting up with this moron for about 3 blocks he suddenly finishes, looks up and speeds up to 60 mph!! When you crash head first into a tree buddy I'm going to laugh maniaclly for days, and just when I think I can't laugh anymore, I'll remember why I started laughing in the first place and laugh some more at your stupidity.

+1 on this! I learned in drivers ed that I should turn on my turn signal 3 house-lengths b/f turning. I use my turn signal religiously. My husband? Not so much. If he's in the left turn late, he won't turn it on. But, sometimes, he also doesn't do it b/f a lane change and it drives me CRAA-ZY. I always make that clicking noise the signal makes and he says, "Thanks for being my turn signal." The issue, as Fourputt pointed out, is to let other drivers know your intent! In LA, however, it can be a little cut throat to drive. Sometimes, when you signal, people punch it forward so you can't get in. But you know what? If someone does that, I don't want them tailgating me anyway, so I just let them pass with my signal on until someone nice lets me in. My husband's a more aggressive (probably more typical) LA driver and sometimes signals the 2 seconds b/f he changes lane so the a-hole in the other land won't try to cut him off. Still, it drives me crazy when he does it right b/f he changes. But, it's very LA.

lane changes don't bother me as much as waiting at an intersection of leaving a parking lot because a car is coming from the left and to have that car make a right turn into where you are exiting from, so your really didn't need to wait for them. How about the courtesy of letting people know what you're intending to do. Same goes for people in front of you who slam their brakes on and make a turn without signalling...

Not using signals should be a 5 point ticket then people would start using them...

Last edited:
+1 on this! I learned in drivers ed that I should turn on my turn signal 3 house-lengths b/f turning. I use my turn signal religiously. My husband? Not so much. If he's in the left turn late, he won't turn it on. But, sometimes, he also doesn't do it b/f a lane change and it drives me CRAA-ZY. I always make that clicking noise the signal makes and he says, "Thanks for being my turn signal." The issue, as Fourputt pointed out, is to let other drivers know your intent! In LA, however, it can be a little cut throat to drive. Sometimes, when you signal, people punch it forward so you can't get in. But you know what? If someone does that, I don't want them tailgating me anyway, so I just let them pass with my signal on until someone nice lets me in. My husband's a more aggressive (probably more typical) LA driver and sometimes signals the 2 seconds b/f he changes lane so the a-hole in the other land won't try to cut him off. Still, it drives me crazy when he does it right b/f he changes. But, it's very LA.

When I lived in LA I learned only one thing. The nicest person in the world turns into Mad Max on the 405. When you signal right because clearly you want to take the next exit from the freeway. That blinking light unleashes this pavlovian anger from deep inside the driver behind you and to your right. Sudenly, you wanting to get over is the equivalent of you wanting to take that person's children and kill his cute dog. I don't actually blame your husband for the late signal change. If he waited the appropriate time between the signal change and the actually lane change, 4 accidents would occur from different dirvers trying to fight for 3 feet of space on the freeway. And in LA, they'ld find a way to blame and sue your husband for taking too long from the signal to the actual lane change. It's not right, it just is. I fly into LA now, traffic takes to long anyways.

As far as I can tell, it's usually to signal the nice police officer or the highway patrol officer of your intent. Once they're not around, the turn signals are not really needed to advise normal folk.

I've lived my whole life in Florida so I guess it's just normal to me to see horrible driving. The worst part is the issue of liability when you're behind them.

I've lived my whole life in Florida so I guess it's just normal to me to see horrible driving. The worst part is the issue of liability when you're behind them.

Liability is definitely an issue. I used to be an personal lines insurance underwriter in another life and I used to see so many tail gating accidents. I'm the worst back-seat "leave more room" driver. Luckily, my husband is used to it now.

Heh, I'll have to admit that I am probably a problem with this annoyance. I rarely use turn signals. Probably comes from my dad's lack of using them as well.

I'm with ya Fourputt. Another thing that people don't realize is that an 18 wheeler fully loaded can't stop on a dime like a smart car. I don't know how many times I've heard my dad gripe about ignorant drivers on the road that seem to be in a race anywhere they go. They always pull out in front and then turn off a couple of blocks later (without signaling of course). Don't people take pleasure in a road trip and enjoy the scenery anymore (even if you've traveled the path many times)?

In Cheeseland we call turn signals "blinkers". Anyone call them blinkers?

And we call drinking fountains "bubblers".

We're pretty cool. Like Miley Cyrus.

Kevin

Well I can confirm that this issue is a national problem! I travel for work all over the country and it's a problem every where!!! The worst for me recently was driving from Jacksonville, Fl to Tampa.

Kevin

Blinkers is more universal in my vocab. The bubbler thing is just odd that I've only heard in WI and MN. I've been baffled by that since a trip I took in high school up that way. If you were to see a guyser would you just call that a super bubbler?

I would have agreed with you had I still lived in CO. However, in Chicago (the actual city), the use of a blinker is a clear rookie mistake that will actually get you further from your intended manuever than not using it. If you put your blinker on to change lanes, then everyone in said lane will shorten up the distance between the car in front of them, making it much more difficult to change lanes. (This is most prevalent on Lake Shore Drive and North/South streets coming from the Loop.) And generally, those folks who use their blinkers to change lanes are not aggressive enough to start nudging their way into the other lane, forcing the other car to give enough room for the car to change lanes.

With that said, I do appreciate those who use their blinkers to indicate a left turn, particulalry when there is not a turn lane.

We call them blinkers too.

What I hate is the person who moves over to the right lane at a stop light and makes 10 cars wait to turn right because they are going straight. It's OK if the light is getting ready to trun green, but I see them do it just as the light is turning red! I can almost understand if they are getting around a bunch of cars in the left lane (kind of) but I've seen them do it when nobody is even IN the left lane!

I would have agreed with you had I still lived in CO. However, in Chicago (the actual city), the use of a blinker is a clear rookie mistake that will actually get you further from your intended manuever than not using it. If you put your blinker on to change lanes, then everyone in said lane will shorten up the distance between the car in front of them, making it much more difficult to change lanes. (This is most prevalent on Lake Shore Drive and North/South streets coming from the Loop.) And generally, those folks who use their blinkers to change lanes are not aggressive enough to start nudging their way into the other lane, forcing the other car to give enough room for the car to change lanes.

With that said, I do appreciate those who use their blinkers to indicate a left turn, particulalry when there is not a turn lane.

It is best to just cut people off while driving in parts of Chicago, or next thing you know, instead of being Downtown you end up in Lincoln Park with your blinker going while constantly looking over your shoulder.

Kevin

Kevin

They are called blinkers here too.

Well I can confirm that this issue is a national problem! I travel for work all over the country and it's a problem every where!!! The worst for me recently was driving from Jacksonville, Fl to Tampa.

It's always Florida's fault. It's because we have huge mix of seniors and teens driving.

I think most people out east have no idea blinkers exist on their car and when they hit them its usually by accident. They'll be on and then they dont turn. And the one that really gets me are the people driving down the highway with the hazard lights on. Really? If youre a hazard maybe you should just stay home and off the roads. Its just rain. We use all season tires.

It is best to just cut people off while driving in parts of Chicago, or next thing you know, instead of being Downtown you end up in Lincoln Park with your blinker going while constantly looking over your shoulder.

Kevin

Love it. Hmmm. On second thought, not a bad idea... because then you will be in my neighborhood and you can just stop the car (leaving your blinker on of course) and grab a beer with me.

Trust me, in the Denver metro area you can have the same issues with drivers blocking you when you use your indicators, especially during rush hour. I've found that it's necessary to do what I call defensive aggressive driving.... use the signal, then carefully start your change when the guy tries to close up to block you. I've yet to find anyone who won't eventually give in, particularly if they are driving a nice car.

When I first got out of the Army, I bought an old '60 Chevy farm pickup for $200. It was painted 5 different colors from being pieced together from that many different vehicles. Nobody ever tried to cut me off when I was in that because it was obvious that the driver didn't care if it got dented or not.

Love it. Hmmm. On second thought, not a bad idea... because then you will be in my neighborhood and you can just stop the car (leaving your blinker on of course) and grab a beer with me.

You live in Lincoln Park? I like Lincoln Park. I think my chicks and I are coming down for the Chicago Golf Show on Saturday, 2/25. You going? We'll be eating some Columbian Chicken ( it's as close as you can get to Peruvian Chicken) for an early lunch, my wife loves the stuff, at a little dive in Irving Park, then going to the show.

Kevin

Like everyone I feel once you have been driving for awhile all your good driving habits get thrown out the window.

Back