What is the Most Important Aspect of Golf?

JR

Reaction score
Handicap
I know most will say the mental part. Take that choice off the table. If you were as good as any pro in one area, what would it be?

I am gonna go with ball striking. Great iron play can save a bad tee shot, and give you easy putts.

I know most will say the mental part. Take that choice off the table. If you were as good as any pro in one area, what would it be?

I am gonna go with ball striking. Great iron play can save a bad tee shot, and give you easy putts.

Short game. Wedges and Putting. For me, working on those two things has made me a single digit handicap and I am still only an average driver and striker of the ball at best.

Tee Game. Without a tee ball in the fairway I'm usually looking at par at best. It's not fun punching out all day and if your in the fairway you set yourself up for some great scores.

That's for me anyways, but what is a beginner going to do with a ball in the fairway if he can't hit a solid iron shot I guess.

Short game. Wedges and Putting. For me, working on those two things has made me a single digit handicap and I am still only an average driver and striker of the ball at best.

I'll have to agree. Short game helped make me a mediocre golfer when my ball striking and driving was very poor. I saved bogey more times than I'd like to admit because of it. I think you have to be decent at everything to be a good golfer, but a good short game can make a huge difference when other facets of the game are lacking.

Keeping your emotions in check.

Short game without a doubt for me. You can almost always hack it up somewhere near the green in regulation...getting up and down consistently is what separates really good players from the rest of us.

Agree with JB on this. I saw myself lose countless strokes to the short game on Sunday. Specifically wedge play. A big drive means nothing when you can't drop the 100 yard wedge in close or even on the green. Then blade one across. Then roll one 20' past and 3 putt. Walk away with a triple.

Tapatalk: not just for staffers.

Definitely the short game. I've seen first hand how it can just save hole, after hole, after hole, after hole. I'll be spending 90% of my practice time on the short game.

Just saw all of you know, JB won't leave the range until he hits the flag stick with his 58* wedge from about 50 yards out. And let me tell ya, it pays off big time.

I'm gonna completely steal that routine.

Definitely the short game. I've seen first hand how it can just save hole, after hole, after hole, after hole. I'll be spending 90% of my practice time on the short game.

Just saw all of you know, JB won't leave the range until he hits the flag stick with his 58* wedge from about 50 yards out. And let me tell ya, it pays off big time.

If you are like me, you will be out there for days!!!

Short. Game.

Kevin

If you are like me, you will be out there for days!!!

It's amazing how close you get when you really are focusing on hitting it. I never did, but came closes a couple of times. Practice with a purpose.

Short game......you can mess up pretty badly till you get around the pin where getting up and down can save a ton of strokes. Conversely, you can get up to the hole in decent shape where just three putting can screw things up let alone chunking a chip or two and then three putting.

Without a doubt. Picking only one, it has to be putting. When you see the pros and how they can get 30- and 40-footers to tap-in range almost every time, it amazes me.

You liked that par didnt you...hehe

One could also say being able to pull off the rope hook me haysoos.

I'd have to agree and jump on the wedge and putting part of the game. It will save you more times than not.

Getting off the tee for me. I think the rest of my game is decent, but if I'm struggling off the tee box it's going to be a long day.

Sent from my operating system using thumbs 2.0

Have to agree also. To me the most important part of any game, is what you do most often. Besides wasn't it Gary Player who said 3 poor swings and 1 good putt equals a par?

You liked that par didnt you...hehe

One could also say being able to pull off the rope hook me haysoos.

I needed that shot yesterday and forgot how to do it. Ended up topping the Mashie for 15 yards instead.

short game saves me more than anything. It can even relieve the pressure when I'm not driving the ball well!!!

Short game for sure... actually just read an article in Golf Magazine which compared various stats between tournament winners and the field that week and scrambling was the stat which had the biggest difference ( 72% vs 57.4). Some stats are less important or have less of an impact, for example Anthony Kim won the Shell Open last year while hitting only 41% of fairways.

Not trying to be funny, but it's all important. Sure short game is important, but if you hit three tee shots OB and are chipping your 8th shot or putting for a quad a good short game won't do you much good. At the same time a good short game can save you a lot of strokes.

Every aspect of the game is important: off the tee, your approach shots, your short game, and putting. IMHO no one aspect is more important than the other. At the pro level it may be different, but at the amateur level I don't think so.

I got a real good glimps of the answer to this my last time out. It's the short game.

I played with a big bomber who seldom missed the fairway, but as it was my first time out this year, I didn't try to hit it long, just hit the middle. I was 50 or 60 yards behind him off every tee, but won by 16 strokes, lol.

My wedges from 80 and in were all over the flag and putting just silly easy. My games not always like that, but when it is I can score.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

I've been told this by numerous people, thatswhy its my single greatest goal this year

Back