Individual Testing Questions?

johndeere10

Banned
Reaction score
To anyone that has been selected to test balls, clubs, accessories, etc through THP.... How do you keep an unbiased opinion going into your test?

I thought I wasn't picky when looking at golf items but more I think about it the more I realize I am. This can be anything from club shape, material, to even brand sometimes. I can look at something and already made my mind up that I don't like it. The saying, " Don't judge a book by it's cover" comes to mind. There are some things that I just couldn't get over because a club has to have a certain look to me when I set it on the ground.

I've seen some comments on golfballs being judged even before they have been hit. I understand looking at a ball or model and know it won't be the ball you will use. I'm open to try golfballs no matter what brand or model they are. I wouldn't limit myself to trying something new because it could always be better than what you are currently using.

I know it's not possible to always test blank balls or clubs and maybe we would have a different opinion or maybe this is just the case for myself.

My question is how do you keep an open mind when evaluating new products?

Last edited:
The easiest way for me is to see what the company say's about the product and start there. Does it do what it's designed to do and what the company suggests it will do?

For me, it's pretty simple. I don't have any strong brand loyalties and am really just interested in what works and what doesn't. I've played pretty much every brand out there and all of them have their good and not so good. As far as looks go, I have preferences, but I really prefer nice golf shots.

Well, its funny because at first I have noticed that because its mine I already lean towards a good review. Then you realize that the club isnt something SUPER special from the rest and you start getting a level head and looking for results. I guess its a bit easier than you would think to not be biased. but trust me, at first, you start ou tthat way. Now, I am sure the equip testers have completely different views

Well,

I think based on name/company you're probably always going to have a pre conceived notion. But if you're open to change and accepting of it, you can evaluate a product without becoming jaded.

The other aspect that helps me personally, is knowing while I may get questions on my opinion.. it's never ridiculed. Some may feel otherwise but I know when JB, TC or anyone else asks a questions it's to understand why. That helps too, knowing I can be as honest as I know how based on my knowledge.

My biggest thing is to just be open. Golf in a humbling sport as it is, you have to be open minded to play it anyway. Most cases.

I've used almost every piece of equipment under the sun at some point and I personally dislike just about all of it. I've yet to find a piece of golf equipment that I can honestly say I love. Obviously there is a ton of stuff I have used that I felt was pretty good and even worked great for my game, but there is always something that I don't like about it.

The search continues...

Another thing is that a club doesn't have to be perfect for me to be a good club. I thought the S3's were a nice iron, but I probably wouldn't go buy them if I was iron shopping. That's mostly personal preferences and how they match up to my swing. When I review, I'm looking at the big picture. If I just focused on my preferences, I wouldn't be doing the majority of readers any good.

To anyone that has been selected to test balls, clubs, accessories, etc through THP.... How do you keep an unbiased opinion going into your test?

I thought I wasn't picky when looking at golf items but more I think about it the more I realize I am. This can be anything from club shape, material, to even brand sometimes. I can look at something and already made my mind up that I don't like it. The saying, " Don't judge a book by it's cover" comes to mind. There are some things that I just couldn't get over because a club has to have a certain look to me when I set it on the ground.

I've seen some comments on golfballs being judged even before they have been hit. I understand looking at a ball or model and know it won't be the ball you will use. I'm open to try golfballs no matter what brand or model they are. I wouldn't limit myself to trying something new because it could always be better than what you are currently using.

I know it's not possible to always test blank balls or clubs and maybe we would have a different opinion or maybe this is just the case for myself.

My question is how do you keep an open mind when evaluating new products?

I try to keep an open mind all the way. So far I have tested 2 golf gloves(Bridgestone and Taylormade), Chromax and E6 Yellow golf balls, and now Taylormade MC irons. When I was testing the gloves, I preferred one to the other. With the E6 I was really trying to test the color, as well as the ball. I had played the e6 with some success in the past so that ball wasn't completely new to me. The Chromax was new and while I liked some aspects of it, I found it lacking in some other parts. At Demo day last year there were some stuff that I wasn't crazy about, but others that I really liked. I wasn't a fan of the Ghost putter when it came out, but then I won one on THP and as I used it I really came to like it. I love testing equipment.

For me, it's pretty simple. I don't have any strong brand loyalties and am really just interested in what works and what doesn't. I've played pretty much every brand out there and all of them have their good and not so good. As far as looks go, I have preferences, but I really prefer nice golf shots.

Pretty much exactly how I think.

I have only just started doing my first test for THP, but I find that since I have no brand loyalties, I just look at the results. How does it compare to clubs I have played in the past, if the looks bother me at first can I get over them, if the looks appeal to me does that make me want to like it more? I simply try to look at scores and how the ball reacts, and judge it on results only.

For me all that matters is numbers. Numbers on my scorecard and on a launch monitor. I do have friends that only play certain brands. I have one who will only play Titleist and everything else is garbage. He's a plus handicap, but he could probably get more out of other clubs.

It was VERY hard for me when I starting testing for THP. It took me 10 or so reviews before something clicked for me. There is an easy way to do it if you can clear your mind.

1. Only review the product in front of you. Do not compare it to other items at the beginning and just discuss how it functions.
2. Breakdown your review. Subjective categories such as look, sound, feel can be discussed early on and then work on strictly performance aspects.
3. Take brand names COMPLETELY out of the equation.
4. Accept the fact that when it comes to testing, nothing should matter outside of performance in reality.

Just because someone may love thin or thick irons, certain brands, etc..., base your information as you would want it presented to you. For example, have you ever gone into a golf store and spoken to someone and left there thinking "man was this guy just trying to sell me something?"? Well take that into consideration when doing the reviews. As a tester it is your job to present ALL of the information and let the "consumer" determine if it is right for them. This is exactly what we want in testers and anybody that has EVER tested stuff for THP can attest to the fact that ALL we ever ask is really a few things.

HONESTY! The most important quality in our reviews and something we ask EVERYBODY to do.
Quantity! The more you can update and the fresher it is, the better it is for the reader to determine if the equipment works for them.
Quality! Think before you post. Make sure that it makes sense rather than just buzz words.

People get caught up with buzz words and we see them over and over again. I think the two most used right now are "buttery" and "workable". Nothing wrong with either of these words as long as they are accurate. The goal with all of THP testing is to let consumers help consumers in an unbiased form. What THP was founded on and will continue to be based on. The reason for our demo days, the reason for our home page, and of course the reason for our forum testing.

I don't cut them in half and see what's inside. hehehe

It was VERY hard for me when I starting testing for THP. It took me 10 or so reviews before something clicked for me. There is an easy way to do it if you can clear your mind.

1. Only review the product in front of you. Do not compare it to other items at the beginning and just discuss how it functions.
2. Breakdown your review. Subjective categories such as look, sound, feel can be discussed early on and then work on strictly performance aspects.
3. Take brand names COMPLETELY out of the equation.
4. Accept the fact that when it comes to testing, nothing should matter outside of performance in reality.

Just because someone may love thin or thick irons, certain brands, etc..., base your information as you would want it presented to you. For example, have you ever gone into a golf store and spoken to someone and left there thinking "man was this guy just trying to sell me something?"? Well take that into consideration when doing the reviews. As a tester it is your job to present ALL of the information and let the "consumer" determine if it is right for them. This is exactly what we want in testers and anybody that has EVER tested stuff for THP can attest to the fact that ALL we ever ask is really a few things.

HONESTY! The most important quality in our reviews and something we ask EVERYBODY to do.
Quantity! The more you can update and the fresher it is, the better it is for the reader to determine if the equipment works for them.
Quality! Think before you post. Make sure that it makes sense rather than just buzz words.

People get caught up with buzz words and we see them over and over again. I think the two most used right now are "buttery" and "workable". Nothing wrong with either of these words as long as they are accurate. The goal with all of THP testing is to let consumers help consumers in an unbiased form. What THP was founded on and will continue to be based on. The reason for our demo days, the reason for our home page, and of course the reason for our forum testing.

Excellent post .

Also how to you NOT make everything you don't like as such a negative against what you prefer. It's seems I always have more negative or dislikes versus postives when I review an item. Well other than the Mashie. :D

Also how to you NOT make everything to don't like as negative against what you prefer. It's seems I always have more negative or dislikes versus postives when I review an item. Well other than the Mashie. :D

Check out my post. A review should not be about what you like or dont like. It should be about the item in front of you.

I don't know, but I think it might be easier for me with having been playing less than a year. I really haven't had time to build up any brand loyalties and am interested in what is going to improve my game/playing experience more than I am in who makes the product.

Check out my post. A review should not be about what you like or dont like. It should be about the item in front of you.

Sorry I was typing that before page refreshed with your reply.

Now I think about it I think I cheated myself at PGA Show Demo Day by not testing anything else other than what I was really interested in. I hit almost everything I wanted to but didn't bother with anything else after I marked that item off my hit list. I really wish I hit the new Callaway stuff but after I hit the R11 and 910 so well I didn't think it would be any better.

I think it is all about giving the club, ball or what ever equipment a solid try. I have never had the complete chance of actually trying stuff out before I buy it, other than a simulator bay at a golf store. That is not really trying before you buy it. I am loving how a lot of these stores are giving 30 trials. I almost wish they had demo sets you could check out for a week or two. That would really give you the chance to "test" or try out an product. Back to the tester question, I think a good tester just does their job and uses the product as much as possible. Then gives their true results each time they use it. I know as a tester it is hard to get out there as much as I want to. It is really hard to have a rough day with your product and not get to test it again for another week due to weather or life.

Now I think about it I think I cheated myself at PGA Show Demo Day by not testing anything else other than what I was really interested in. I hit almost everything I wanted to but didn't bother with anything else after I marked that item off my hit list. I really wish I hit the new Callaway stuff but after I hit the R11 and 910 so well I didn't think it would be any better.

I think it depends on what you are after. You have said a few times on here, and I am generalizing, that you are set in your ways. You are not into fitting or launch numbers, etc...You want to swing out of your shoes, and play XS no matter what. You have said offset and thicker toplines as well as anything thick on soles is something you would not use or play.

So if I were you and I am not part of the media, it shouldnt matter. Go to a demo day and hit what you are personally interested in. Why else go unless you are "reporting" on something.

I think it is all about giving the club, ball or what ever equipment a solid try. I have never had the complete chance of actually trying stuff out before I buy it, other than a simulator bay at a golf store. That is not really trying before you buy it. I am loving how a lot of these stores are giving 30 trials. I almost wish they had demo sets you could check out for a week or two. That would really give you the chance to "test" or try out an product. Back to the tester question, I think a good tester just does their job and uses the product as much as possible. Then gives their true results each time they use it. I know as a tester it is hard to get out there as much as I want to. It is really hard to have a rough day with your product and not get to test it again for another week due to weather or life.

I've always wondered why they don't let people demo clubs like they do racquets in tennis. You pay a fee per racquet, they make you leave a credit card on file, and then you get to actually play them. Also, the money you spend on demos goes towards your racquet purchase. I think that would be great for golf clubs.

Well being left-handed I haven't hit anything before I bought it in the past several years. I was only able to hit 910 and Mashie due to being at demo day. I try to read reviews or see righty clubs in stores and go from there. I do alot more blind buying than I like but that is only option. Alot of places I go aren't setup for fittings and launch monitors. If they are they are very limited in what I can hit.

Back