Have you played under Tournament Pressure?

Have you played under Tournament Pressure?

• Yes I have

Votes: 77 62.6%
  • No I have not

Votes: 46 37.4%

• Total voters

Ole Gray

Mayor of the Woodshed
Reaction score
Handicap
Average
I have played in tons of golf tournaments through the years to include Club Championships, Member Guests, Member/Member. Scramble, Ryder Cup,etc. over the years. Each tournament has its own characteristics and pressure. The tournament that gave me the absolute most pressure hands down was for the Handicap Club Championship, which I did win after a playoff. Going to the first tee and everyone else who has finished that day were in golf carts following the action. It was quite the gallery so the pressure was large. I made it through somehow but it's tougher than one could imagine who has never been put to test. How many of you have been in and survived with a win under the gun? I am talking about actual tournament play and not just weekend side bets.

For the past 2 years I've been playing in some amateur events around here. I've been competing in the 3-8 handicap division and have yet to win a tournament. There's usually about 40 competitors and the top 5 get paid out. I was paid out twice last year with my best finish being 3rd. My 1st time tee'ing it up, I could barely breathe. I was lucky to even make contact with the golf ball.

I've not been in a position where tons of people were watching me or when a win was on the line so I don't know how I would handle that. I will say this too, the past 2 years with the THP outings and our Georgia get togethers, has been great when it comes to playing with someone new. You wouldn't be being honest if you said you weren't a little nervous tee'ing it up with a THP'er for the first time.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Played in a 2 man scramble years ago and we finished early. My partner who had had a couple of beers during the round decided to finish off about 4 more while we waited on the rest of the field to finish. Yep, we were tied for the lead and had a sudden death playoff. Only a few people followed us to talk their usual trash but it was essentially 2 against one in the play off. The 1st hole was split with a par and somehow I rolled in a 15 foot putt for birdie on the second hole for the win, there was a lot of pressure essentially knowing everything rested on me as my partner was pretty ineffective with all of the firewater in him.

Last edited:
I have never played in a tournament but hope to do some amateur tour events this year. I do go out alone a lot so I'm used to some pressure on the first tee. TC you are right about the nerves tee'ing it up with THP'ers for the first time. I am really nervous about May. I just don't want to top the ball first tee box.

The first year I played in the GA Senior Women's Golf Association team tournament was the most exciting and stressful event for me. I was paired up with this lady who I had never met. It was a two day tournament (best ball and scramble) on two different courses in Athens, GA. We played so good together but had no idea that we had tied for the overall championship out of 220 women. We were forced into a playoff and had a crowd following us. I was so nervous! Unfortunately a lady from the other team chipped in for birdie and the other team won on the first playoff hole. We still won first place in our flight and I was very excited about that. I played in the same event with the same lady last year and we came in next to last. Her handicap has gone up from lack of play and mine down so we probably won't be partners again because the variance is now over 10 strokes.

For the past 2 years I've been playing in some amateur events around here. I've been competing in the 3-8 handicap division and have yet to win a tournament. There's usually about 40 competitors and the top 5 get paid out. I was paid out twice last year with my best finish being 3rd. My 1st time tee'ing it up, I could barely breathe. I was lucky to even make contact with the golf ball.

I've not been in a position where tons of people were watching me or when a win was on the line so I don't know how I would handle that. I will say this too, the past 2 years with the THP outings and our Georgia get togethers, has been great when it comes to playing with someone new. You wouldn't be being honest if you said you weren't a little nervous tee'ing it up with a THP'er for the first time.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

This is very true! It's more pressure than one would think and those who have yet to have this opportunity, will see what TC is speaking of.

I generally don't deal with pressure too well. I'm trying to put myself in some of those situations this week and hopefully I can learn to deal with it a little better.

From the iPhone.

Being new to golf, I haven't really played in a lot of tourneys. So far though I tend to play better under "pressure". Managed 71 stp for 2 rounds in my first club championship and was runner up. Don't know what it is, but I think I'm more focused compared to playing on my own or with a friend. Love playing with new people. The better they are, the better I tend to play myself. It's my experience in whatever sports I've participated in, that the better the opposition, the better the results. And vice versa.

I started playing in tournaments three years ago. The first few times I didn't fair too well as I was extremely nervous. Overtime I got better handling the nerves and found I enjoyed playing under pressure. Last year I finished first in a match play event in my flight, second in my flight in the club championship, second in a Massachusetts Golf Association tournament, and 14th in another MGA tournament. This year I'll be playing in about ten tournaments, and hopefully the big THP event in August. :)

I only had a gallery a couple of times. Not as big as yours Gray. Last year I had to make a 25 foot downhill, right to left putt on the 18th hole to win the match, which I did.

I've played under pressure quite a few times, but it's been about 10 years since the last time I played competitively. I played golf in high school, so that was a weekly match. Since high school, I've been in numerous scrambles and other tournament types from the weekly course events to company events to even a monthly night-lite tournament that I won a couple of times with my old partner.

It's really no different than any other sport as far as the pressure goes. Definitely easier than being on the free throw line in double overtime against a big rival school - I've been in that one, even drained my 2 :smile: You just have to relax and play your game and let the chips fall as they may. Try to do too much, and odds are you'll be in trouble sooner than later.

I've played in club tournaments and a few fund raisers and have done fairly well, but no wins in those. There is one annual tournament at another course that I won two years ago, but came in second last year. The pressure is rarely an issue, I'm pretty used to that prom all the pool tournaments. Like everyone, I feel the pressure and the sweaty palms, etc., but proper breathing and relaxing techniques work well. I just don't have the raw talent or length a lot of guys have on the course. I hope to play more competition type golf this year.

How many of you have been in and survived with a win under the gun? I am talking about actual tournament play and not just weekend side bets.

In one month I'll be starting my 22nd year of Men's club tournaments. As far as playing under pressure, it doesn't normally bother me at all. I play almost every round of golf with the same mindset - to play a wells as i possibly can that day.

My lifetime best round of 73 came in the 3rd round of the club championship in '89, and it was also the first time I ever broke 80 - I won my flight going away that year, and I've won whatever flight I've been in several times over the years. I've never been a skilled enough player to qualify for championship flight though - never made it higher than one flight below that. My first Ace also came in the final round of the club championship, and I've won many other team and individual tournaments over the years.

I played in the city amature tourney a couple times. Finished 5th, in flight, the first year and won most of my entry fee back. I didn't really feel any pressure though because I had no idea where I stood during the rounds. I felt more pressure on the 9th tee box during my only par shooting round (9 holes).

I was on the golf team in high school, so i've been playing golf competitively ever since i picked up the game. Don't get it twisted, i went to a small rural school where being on the team does not mean that i'm any kind of good at the sport (we had a total of four kids on the team my sophmore year), because i'm not, but I am used to playing in a tournament atmosphere. I've also golfed league and in the flighted club championship tournament the past couple years and am planning on joing one of the local amatuer tours in the area this year.

I like love tournament golf, it's more fun.

I've played my club championship once and two other tournaments. The most pressure I was ever under was a member guest tournament I played with my father in law at his club. He had won the tourney 2 years in a row with a buddy of his who dropped out at the last moment and he called me up the morning of asking me to be his partner, which I of course accepted. He is scratch and golfing with him is stressful enough but stepping on that first tee with crowds all over the place being the partner of the guy everyone expected to win was very nerve racking.

Last year in our clubs biggest tourney, I finished in a 3 way tie for first. Playing extra holes was out of the question so our club pro set up a chip off. Each player got 1 shot at it from 25 yards. We drew number and I got to go last. I wasn't allowed to watch the other shots, only knew the results. Both were within 10 feet and one was close to 5 feet. Standing over that chip, I was definitely feeling the pressure. Deep breath, routine, chip. I almost jarred it, and ended up about 3 feet from the hole. Championship! Love the pressure.

I found myself constantly loosening a tight coller that wasn't there.

Local Am Tourns are awesome though, especially the club house bar afterwards. Its not often you meet so many like minded people in one setting. Most of the time, whenever i start talking about my hobbies (golf, Fishing, Hiking, Fast Cars) I can see people's eyes glaze over. Instead you can actually have a lengthy conversation about mis-aligned tee boxes or poanna grass greens with out having to worry your boring the other guy.

I found myself constantly loosening a tight coller that wasn't there.

Local Am Tourns are awesome though, especially the club house bar afterwards. Its not often you meet so many like minded people in one setting. Most of the time, whenever i start talking about my hobbies (golf, Fishing, Hiking, Fast Cars) I can see people's eyes glaze over. Instead you can actually have a lengthy conversation about mis-aligned tee boxes or poanna grass greens with out having to worry your boring the other guy.

Very true.

No tourneys yet, will this year hopefully. I did play in a "battle of the bars" golf tournament, but that wasnt serious, not when part of the pre tee shot routine is having to take a shot or drink half a beer on half the holes, and the other half having to tee off with a kids club or putt with a 16 lb sledge hammer. Dammit though we had a great time, and took second. Na good buddy owns his own watering hole here in Spokane so I had to be a good friend and rep his place.

No tourneys yet, will this year hopefully. I did play in a "battle of the bars" golf tournament, but that wasnt serious, not when part of the pre tee shot routine is having to take a shot or drink half a beer on half the holes, and the other half having to tee off with a kids club or putt with a 16 lb sledge hammer. Dammit though we had a great time, and took second. Na good buddy owns his own watering hole here in Spokane so I had to be a good friend and rep his place.

Back in college I worked in a plant nursery and we particapted in the Softball league with other small business in the town. Home team had to buy the keg, and the keg was parked at 2nd base. Man I miss that league.

I was scared to play in tournaments since I am a newer golfer and I don't know all the rules. I am also afraid of accidentally breaking some kind of etiquette rule. But I've played in some member guest tourneys and member -member and some scrambles. Playing in those has made me more comfortable playing with different people. (I get nervous playing with new people). I may even play in the Women's club championship this year.

I joined the Golf Channel Amatuer Tour last season, now in my 2nd season.
When i first joined, my scores sky rocketed, same with my dad when he joined at the sametime.
I ended up winning 3 tournaments my first season which included a major and won 3 already this new season.

I got nervous on the 1st tee for the 1st three or so tourneys but now im use to it. If i think about it to much while they are indtroucing you, i start getting the butterflies again.
I felt the most pressure coming to the closing holes knowing that i was right there to win it.
Ive never felt anything like that before. The nerves on the 1st tee have nothing on the nerves that i feel when im on 18 knowing that i have a chance to win.
Im in one of the lower flights, the higher flights are much more competitive and im sure more pressure.

I always put myself under pressure right from the start, so I always am. There was one specific time though I can remember I was around 14 years old at my old golf course playing the club championship. I started off really hot and at hole 7 I was 1 under. I just remember hearing my name come up throughout the groups to figure out who was leading and apparently I was, I found that out on hole 8 and proceeded to take a 12 on that hole. I was so rattled I just threw myself out like that on the first day I proceeded to shoot a 99.

I've played a few tourneys since I started getting serious about the game about 15 years ago.
I don't get the first tee gitters anymore, but I do get those butterfiles before every tourney.
I seemed to have hit my stride over the last 5 years.
I've been playing in the 4 to 10 hdcp flights and always seem to finish either 3rd or 5th.
Last year I had 2- 3rd's and 1- 4th place finish out of 4 tournaments.
I have yet to win one but I think this may be my year.

Seems like straight stroke play tournaments have gone the way of the dinosaur. Back in the day though our city amatuer tournament used to have a horse race the friday afternoon before the tournament. They would take the top ten guys from the field that were willing to play. They would make a board and have para-mutual betting on the 10 guys. So ten guys would tee off on the 1st tee and the worst score would drop on each hole till 1 remained. With 50 to 100 people betting and following the game there was some serious pressure standing over your first drive. By the end if you were still around you actually felt more realaxed than on the 1st tee shot. Atleast I did.

Back