The Career Thread

julie_m

EveryoneLovesACallyGirl
Reaction score
We may need a career change thread. I'm trying to figure out what my next act is going to be. Clearly, it won't be professional golf. :sad:

Claire, you are absolutely right.

I'm so excited, I got an email just now responding to my resume I sent in...looks like I might have a marketing job! Heavy in the social marketing department, a pretty new field it seems, people are willing to pay you to update their myspace and write blogs and such. It's very cool - I put "The Hackers Paradise" in with my experience, haha! (JB said he'd serve as a reference, how cool is he? :smile:)

So here's to crossing your fingers or saying your prayers or whatever you do. Since I'm only employed part time, and through May at that, this would be a saving grace.

Alright, Claire, your turn? :moneymouth:

As someone that works with people getting jobs each and every day, I would be more than happy to be a reference for you. You have done great work for us and always done it in a timely manner.

Claire, you are absolutely right.

I'm so excited, I got an email just now responding to my resume I sent in...looks like I might have a marketing job! Heavy in the social marketing department, a pretty new field it seems, people are willing to pay you to update their myspace and write blogs and such. It's very cool - I put "The Hackers Paradise" in with my experience, haha! (JB said he'd serve as a reference, how cool is he? :smile:)

So here's to crossing your fingers or saying your prayers or whatever you do. Since I'm only employed part time, and through May at that, this would be a saving grace.

Alright, Claire, your turn? :moneymouth:

That's great too hear. Good luck. I'm still waiting to hear back from a resume I sent out a couple weeks ago.

My long term goal is to transition into the golf industry. As many of you know, I am passionate about golf clubs and feel that over the last 5 or 6 years it has been everything in my life. I have gained some valuable experience fitting customers while working in a shop, being around the game, and from the many great minds I've met through THP.

As of this moment, I am not entirely sure what sector of the game I'd like to enter but I can tell you that after meeting Scott from Nickent my dream would be traveling and working with touring professionals and becoming a master craftsmen. We have to dream right?

Dont wait Bogey. Contact them.

That's great too hear. Good luck. I'm still waiting to hear back from a resume I sent out a couple weeks ago.

It's weird - it was for a job posting that was a month old. I almost didn't apply, but I sent my email and said "I was wondering if this position was filled, or if you may be in need of any extra help." Something like that. He wrote back and said yes it was filled, but he had a new opening for a job that was almost the exact same, and would I be interested. I guess it's true, you just have to send your resume to EVERYONE, position or not.

I hope "would you be interested" means "I'd like to hire you" and not "I'll send you another application then."

My long term goal is to transition into the golf industry. As many of you know, I am passionate about golf clubs and feel that over the last 5 or 6 years it has been everything in my life. I have gained some valuable experience fitting customers while working in a shop, being around the game, and from the many great minds I've met through THP.

As of this moment, I am not entirely sure what sector of the game I'd like to enter but I can tell you that after meeting Scott from Nickent my dream would be traveling and working with touring professionals and becoming a master craftsmen. We have to dream right?

I always heard, "If you love golf, don't get a job that has to do with it."

I never really understood that quote.

I always heard, "If you love golf, don't get a job that has to do with it."

I never really understood that quote.

that is more if you love to play... head pro's and teaching professionals are always the last ones to play

Isn't that the weirdest thing ever?

yeah... it certainly is. I mean, it would be hard not to play as much as you'd like to but at the same time you're around something you love constantly. Even if I could walk around a pro shop with a wegde in my hand and just help someone out I'd be happy.

I feel like I am wasting away in my job now...

yeah... it certainly is. I mean, it would be hard not to play as much as you'd like to but at the same time you're around something you love constantly. Even if I could walk around a pro shop with a wegde in my hand and just help someone out I'd be happy.

I feel like I am wasting away in my job now...

Better get crackin on a new one DD.

Better get crackin on a new one DD.

yeah, it just hurts to hear the numbers when you're looking into a golf career... you start with NOTHING

I don't make much money now, but I am can't imagine making less than I do now

yeah, it just hurts to hear the numbers when you're looking into a golf career... you start with NOTHING

I don't make much money now, but I am can't imagine making less than I do now

It sounds impossible to start too, like how would you even start? You can't be some guy picking golf balls off the range.

no, but most apprentices start by just working the pro shop... at barely above minimum wage

how can you live off that money?

Guys if you want to start a thread about getting into the golf industry, than maybe ask amollerud. Lets not turn this into a rant.

no, but most apprentices start by just working the pro shop... at barely above minimum wage

how can you live off that money?

Stay in mom and dad's basement until your are 35. :confused2: Even then I'm not sure how you survive. Then you have to look at the student loan payment going out every month and wonder why you spent that money on something you aren't even using.

No kidding, I guess to start in a golf Career, you have to get extremely lucky.

honestly, I'm not good enough to pursue a PGA career... maybe if I lived in Florida and played a full year season (actually, thinking about it I think I could if that were the case) but becoming a PGA here would be near impossible for me because I just don't have the time to practice and get better.

I'm more of a corporate guy myself... marketing and sales. Even though I have no experience, I kept my eyes open at the show and know I could do what the different companies were pitching.

honestly, I'm not good enough to pursue a PGA career... maybe if I lived in Florida and played a full year season (actually, thinking about it I think I could if that were the case) but becoming a PGA here would be near impossible for me because I just don't have the time to practice and get better.

I'm more of a corporate guy myself... marketing and sales. Even though I have no experience, I kept my eyes open at the show and know I could do what the different companies were pitching.

Maybe start your own golf fashion line DD.

Guys if you want to start a thread about getting into the golf industry, than maybe ask amollerud. Lets not turn this into a rant.

I don't see how this doesn't pertain to a career thread... these are all aspects that influence how you analyze a potential career move/shift

It is not that it does not pertain. However we have a resource on this site that can answer all of the questions you and Dent are bantering about back in forth with one question to him. Rather than complain about a job that someone doesnt have yet, find out the facts about getting into the career and then make an assesment about it.

Okay--my issue now if not being passionate about--or even much interested in--a whole lot. I know my skill set. I know a fair number of things I could do with it. None of them hold much appeal.

I really don't like to sell, and that's pretty much what it takes.

Okay--my issue now if not being passionate about--or even much interested in--a whole lot. I know my skill set. I know a fair number of things I could do with it. None of them hold much appeal.

I really don't like to sell, and that's pretty much what it takes.

Isn't anyone on this forum happy with their career? :D

It's kind of funny this thread popped up today. I have a meeting on Wed. with a real estate broker to discuss a possible career change. I'm not sure with the economy in the tank that right now is the best time to make a move, but it is something that I've always wanted to do.

It's kind of funny this thread popped up today. I have a meeting on Wed. with a real estate broker to discuss a possible career change. I'm not sure with the economy in the tank that right now is the best time to make a move, but it is something that I've always wanted to do.

Me too. I wanted to get into that and then the economy tanked so I stayed where I was at. In my next life I'm going to get into real estate sales and flipping.

Back