What Are You Reading?(Non-Golf Related)

Craig Mac

Reaction score
I'm sure there are many who read non-golf related books, so I'll start:

I just picked up a copy of "In Retrospect, The Tragedy and Lessons Of Vietnam" by Robert S. McNamara. Really looking forward to reading this.

Last edited:
Good idea for a thread Craig. Unfortunately right now all I've got to read are a couple of golf books.

The Downhill Lie by Carl Hiaasen and Shanks for Nothing by Rick Reilly.

Looking forward to see what everybody else is reading though.

People have time to read?

Guess I wasn't specific enough when I said "non-golf related books", we all ready have an entire Forum just for that.....

Craig - I might hunt that one down.
I'm just finishing "Promises to Keep" - by Joe Biden. I knew very little about him, so it's really filled in the gaps for me.

I'm sure there are many who read non-golf related books, so I'll start:

I just picked up a copy of "In Retrospect, The Tragedy and Lessons Of Vietnam" by Robert S. McNamara. Really looking forward to reading this.

I caught the documentary...poor Bob so misunderstood. I suppose Dick Cheney will have a book out in a couple of years as well as Rumsfeld on the tragedy and lessons of Iraq.
Sorry about my cynicism

I caught the documentary...poor Bob so misunderstood. I suppose Dick Cheney will have a book out in a couple of years as well as Rumsfeld on the tragedy and lessons of Iraq.
Sorry about my cynicism

Well, we all have our opinions.... but I respect a man that can stand up and admit he made a mistake. Should make for an interesting read either way.

Well, we all have our opinions.... but I respect a man that can stand up and admit he made a mistake. Should make for an interesting read either way.

I agree that it should make for an interesting read.

Guess I wasn't specific enough when I said "non-golf related books", we all ready have an entire Forum just for that.....

OK Craig, the last non-golf book I read was
Hunting the Jackal
By Billy Waugh

If you're into military/CIA books it's an excellent read. The author was a former special forces member who became an independent contractor for the CIA. The book chronicles the search for the terrorist known as Carlos the Jackal.

I used to love to read, I used to read every night but lately I have been lazy and just watch lots of TV. The last book I read was The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. I wasn't sure if I was going to like it. A good friend of mine recommended it and she was right I really enjoyed it. Very sad and pretty moving, I found it to be a good read.

I read a lot of Chuck Klosterman... he's hilarious (plus I am a geek)

Robert Ludlum, Love all of his stuff, so I am slowly going through his last couple of books, since there will be no more (R.I.P. Mr Ludlum). Sigma Protocal is what I'm reading now.

I used to love to read, I used to read every night but lately I have been lazy and just watch lots of TV. The last book I read was The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. I wasn't sure if I was going to like it. A good friend of mine recommended it and she was right I really enjoyed it. Very sad and pretty moving, I found it to be a good read.

I bought The Kite Runner 2 years ago and it's still sitting here unread. I just never seem to be in the mood to read a book I know is going to be sad.

I bought The Kite Runner 2 years ago and it's still sitting here unread. I just never seem to be in the mood to read a book I know is going to be sad.

It is definitely a sad book...I know I am a girl so this is no surprise but it did make me cry. I thought it was very well written I would definitely recommend it to others.

Slaughterhouse-Five. And Sex and the City when it's too much. And Atlas Shrugged when Josh puts it down.

Good choice. I love reading Vonnegut, working on Cat's Cradle.

A friend heard him lecture (years ago of course) and recommended him...Have you read Slaughterhouse? It's not my favorite...I'm not far into it, but I feel like I'm reading about how I should hate something that I already disagree, with you know? Is there a better choice out there for some witty politics from him?

I go through spurts where I read a ton. I haven't read anything for a while, but the last book I read completely was Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell (author of The Tipping Point and Blink).

I've got several books going at once:

Hell's Half Acre - about the seedy district of Fort Worth from the 1870's on up until the 1930's, and all the wackiness that went on there.

The War For Las Vegas - about the breaking of the Spilotro reign by the FBI and Metro PD

Five Lessons - re-reading it. Apparently I missed a whole lot the last time. :(

Some years ago, I decided to fill in some gaps in what really was a good education. Worked my way through most of the major British Victorian novelists and have moved onto the Americans--mostly Wharton and James. Right now, I'm on Henry James's Portrait of a Lady. I may move onto Nabokov next--I want to re-read Pale fire.

I was a journalism major, so you could guess that I like to read.

Books read lately that I would recommend (bear with me on the names of the authors, this is off the top of my head);

A Season on the Mat- Nolan Zavforal (This is a wrestling book, but just good)
The Life of Pi- Yan Martel
I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell- Tucker Max
Naked- David Sedaris
When You Are Engulfed in Flames- David Sedaris
Zen and the Art of Happiness
The Crying of Lot 49- Thomas Pynchon- short, but very good

If we are talking golf books, I loved reading the coffee table compilation book of the 'My Shot' segments from Golf Digest; absolutely awesome.

I'm usually either a military fiction or fantasy type of guy when it comes to books. Just finished re-reading Day of the Cheetah by Dale Brown, and started up another run through of the Harry Potter series.

Back