Hosel Options and Variations...

DDBowdoin

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
Chris / Lamont...

I was wondering if you could provide the members of THP with examples of your hosel work. I personally would be interested in seeing the varying hosels you have crafted, the variance within a single hosel design, and how and why you think they work with each putter head.

For example... do you have feel that center shafted hosel works best when welded onto the clubhead, or when the shaft is dropped directly into the head like a double bend shafted putter? Or when using a plumbers neck, can the amount of offset vary? As you know throught our conversations I love shop talk and his would be a great opportunity to pick your brain and help educate all of us here at THP.

I think a visual resource/library of designs will help consumers visualize the types of hosels and amount of play associated with each design and ultimately clarify and educate your average consumer.

Chris / Lamont...

I was wondering if you could provide the members of THP with examples of your hosel work. I personally would be interested in seeing the varying hosels you have crafted, the variance within a single hosel design, and how and why you think they work with each putter head.

For example... do you have feel that center shafted hosel works best when welded onto the clubhead, or when the shaft is dropped directly into the head like a double bend shafted putter? Or when using a plumbers neck, can the amount of offset vary? As you know throught our conversations I love shop talk and his would be a great opportunity to pick your brain and help educate all of us here at THP.

I think a visual resource/library of designs will help consumers visualize the types of hosels and amount of play associated with each design and ultimately clarify and educate your average consumer.

I will get some pictures up soon, it is real hard to have just standard hosels as we custom hand mill each an everyone except the mid-slant and the plumber's neck.

The main use of a hosel is to affect toe hang. With a plumber's neck and mid-slant you are limited by the location in affecting toe hang. For Santa Fe style necks you have limitless possibilities.

For center shafts I will say this....
I have never seen where it made a difference whether it is on a welded nub or directly in the head. However on our heads we removed thickness of the face to add the weight in other locations to get optimal flow from as many hosels as possible so we do not have direct shaft inserts for center shafts.

I do not think it makes a difference on double bends either. Whether it is attached to a welded short neck or directly into the head. It really only affects the weight.

With Santa Fe necks we can vary the offset/length etc. to get the desired toe hang and head weight required. You have the stubby Santa Fe Neck like what is on JB's(think newport 1.5) or a standard on(Think Santa Fe Cameron and a little Longer than a 1.5) we can very numerous properties on the putter to suit the customer.

With anything that is CNC milled(plumber's necks and mid-slants) you have very little wiggle room because they have to be milled in quanitites and all alike.

Back