Bobby Grace MK5 - slightly modified

Gummi Bear

Sporadic Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
Bean Dip
So I bought this putter from DD a few months ago, and I loved the feel of it as soon as I took it out of the box. I bought it for my Dad though, so I had to package it right back up.

Pop had the same trouble DD did, he just couldn't make a putt with the center shaft design, and radical amount of rocker it offers, so he gave it back to me.

I fooled around with it some more, and decided that it wasn't really all that well suited for me either, so it was off to the machine shop...

My buddy and I went into mad scientist mode, and drilled it out as a heel shaft. I bought a True Temper double bend putter shaft, to move his hands forward a little, a comfortable grip that he was used to, and set it up as a 33".

Neither Dad nor I could get used to looking at a silver mallet, so I grabbed a Sharpie and colored it black, with a silver alignment line. It's crude, but only temporary.

Pop's now putting 30-33 per round with it, and loving it!

My next mod to it will be to find a filler (Bondo, resin, epoxy) that is a similar density to the aluminum, then I'll fill the old center shaft hole, and give it a proper paintjob.

Click on pics for larger view:

What is in store for that Dimension Z of yours? You are so good at this tinkering.

That's pretty cool Gummi, glad to hear your dad is liking it. Don't forget to post pics once you get done with it.

What is in store for that Dimension Z of yours? You are so good at this tinkering.

I'm going to use a fantasy trip to Pebble Beach on the simulator at the cigar shop. :D It records as much, or more data than most launch monitors except for the doppler type that PING and a few others use.

Once I have a baseline for my driver data, I'll use that to select a different shaft that will fit my swing a little better.

I'm going to get one of my buddies to hit this driver up there too, he regularly bombs his Callaway FT3 320+ yards (he hit it 331 in a scramble we played together last summer, and still didn't win the long drive!~)

GB,
Let me know what shaft you choose. The Nickent forum has their tour van person answering the questions and he might give you some ideas on some shafts.

wow... that has changed a lot since it left my house!

Back