Taylormade R9 Fairway Wood Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
JB for the past few years I have been almost anti-Taylormade in my club selection but they really seemed to have streamlined their release of products this year at least, paying more attention to detail. I know it's peeked a lot of peoples interests. Thanks for the review and I will leave a comment for TM.

• Admin
Thanks AJ. I have been anti TM as well. But this stuff is hard to ignore.

Glad to see this review is out, its one of the fairway woods I'm going to test next week. I'm reading it right now.

• Admin
Look at my signature 907...My Callaway was sold last night.

dang. i have recently come to like the tp z wedges, and i am planning on getting a 58* also, but this could be my new 3 wood as well. i was like you guys, i didnt like tm stuff and i felt the quality was bad, but it seems like they are really turning it around

Look at my signature 907...My Callaway was sold last night.

So I'm gunna guess that your trying to hint that you like the R9? Haha

Read the review, it was great, I will try this out for sure, but I'm curious to see what the headcover looks like, do you have a picture?

• Admin
I dont. But I will take one soon. They look pretty standard. Nothing special. I just like that if you lose it, you do not have to find one that is for 3, or 4, etc... ANy fairway wood cover would work. Just click the wheel and move it to 3 or 5 depending on what it is.

Never mind...asked a dumb question.

Absolutely love it. We thought the F1 Motore was a little too stiff in the TP version but the regular Motore was great for what we like.

Nice review JB! I'm another one that's been a TM-hater, but this year's R9 lineup is making me more interested in keeping an eye on their stuff.

Im excited about this club. I wonder why they didnt add the moveable weight technology to this club though. I really liked being able to add more weight to the hosel side on my old driver, im not too into looking at a closed face.

Because with the FCT Gasman, you will not need it. You can open and close it anyway you want to.

Because with the FCT Gasman, you will not need it. You can open and close it anyway you want to.

Ya, but MWT changed the "Center of Gravity" and FCT changes if the face is opened or closed. They put it on the driver, but not the 3 wood.:sad:

Very true. I think you will find that wtih 8 different settings you will not have an issue. We found a setup for everybody.

Very true. I think you will find that wtih 8 different settings you will not have an issue. We found a setup for everybody.

Did you find a setup for an armless man? Or maybe a Golden Retriever?

No golden retriever but our dog Ellie seems to like it.

No golden retriever but our dog Ellie seems to like it.
She likes those 3 woods ha. :act-up:
I cant wait to hit this thing. How much degree of loft does the thing really change JB?

Hard to say GM. It was not so much loft change for us as it was ball flight. Our Teaching Pro Andy was really showcasing us just how much you can change the ball flight with the 8 different settings.

She likes those 3 woods ha. :act-up:
I cant wait to hit this thing. How much degree of loft does the thing really change JB?

I'm still confused about the loft change on this and the driver. For some reason I just can't picture in my mind how it works:confused2:

I'm still confused about the loft change on this and the driver. For some reason I just can't picture in my mind how it works:confused2:

MO, That's because it's magic.

4808.png

What does Richard Simmons have to do with the FCT on the new R9? Im so confused now.:confused2:

How about this for a crazy bump over eight years since the last post?

I just put my R9 3-wood back in my bag this evening for the umpteenth time...I've had it since 2010, bought God knows how many others since, and it's still finding its way back in. Honestly I'm not sure why I ever take it out other than my compulsion to buy shiny new things I see on the cheap on eBay. Probably has to qualify for the most successful club purchase I've ever made.

Back