JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
What leads most to change drivers? The allure of new equipment promising longer and straighter driver. Or is the let down after the honeymoon period of your current driver.

Which one has it been for you?

drivers die... if you play more than 50 rounds a year you'll go through a fair share... its the same as a metal baseball bat

now that's not to say you should change every year... but every few seasons

I pretty much follow the "if it aint broke..." motto. Unless of course I purposely throw in the lake :D

I pretty much follow the "if it aint broke..." motto. Unless of course I purposely throw in the lake :D

LOL! I've never been that angry with a club before, but did watch a guy snap his pitching wedge during a HS match.

For me, usually it's either having issues with the old driver for some reason, or the allure of a new shaft/head technology. I'm a techie at heart, so it carries over to golf.

Im in the, "if it aint broke dont fix it" camp. Unless I see a potential for signifigant improvment, Im hesitant to make a change.
I went from a Titleist 975J 8.5* with a stiff shaft to a Mizuno MX-560 12* with a light shaft. The reason? I was hitting a low slice with the Titleist and I read that more driver loft can help to combat a slice (more backspin = less sidespin) and I figured that more drive loft would help me hit the ball higher.
I must say, Ive been pleased with the switch. Im not hitting much straighter, longer shots than I used to.
I dont see myself changing drivers anytime soon. As much as Id love to have a MX-700 unless something happens to my MX-560 that makes it unplayable (such as a crack or dent in the face), Im not going to stray from what works.

drivers die... if you play more than 50 rounds a year you'll go through a fair share... its the same as a metal baseball bat

now that's not to say you should change every year... but every few seasons

I don't know if any of us could possibly wear out a driver. Maybe if you are hitting rocks with it, but in the normal course of play a driver will last for hundreds if not thousands of rds.

I like buying new ones just to tinker with, no reason why other than because I can.

I change when the honeymoon period is over. I am not much of a "club ho" as I have heard it been said here, so I try and keep my clubs unless they really start to fail me. Before I picked up my Burner I HATED my old driver. In fact I never even put it in my bag I would rather tee off with a 3 wood than be bothered with that hunk of junk I had. Now I love my drive and actually hit it better than any other club in my bag. It's amazing to me that the club I once hated the most is now my favorite.

For me it is currently the issue of matching my woods to my driver, or because I need to change specs in my driver beacuse of my swing.

Cause I'm never satisfied

I just like to try different equipment. I currently have about 13-15 diffrent drivers.

I only change driver (or any club for that matter) if it is worn out or like my last 905, cracked. Same goes for irons. Wedges, that's another story. I bag fresh wedges every season.

i usually change after a few years when there actually is a difference in technology, or if a select few friends tell me something is really hot. like i played a 905s for a season and a half or so and went through 3 different shafts in it. i switched to the ping g10 after playing a few rounds with a friend whose a +2 and swears by the g10 with the ping shaft in it. i really loved it, but i was given nike stuff from a friend who works for nike. therefore i have the dymos which are great too. and my dad was happy to inherit the g10. but normally i sit on my clubs for a while

I just like to try different equipment. I currently have about 13-15 diffrent drivers.

Can I get an Amen my brothers and sisters!:clapp:

I highly doubt my fellow members on here will relinquish me from the hatred stew of having so many clubs and being their reigning high priest, but.....

I'm voting for you now!:D

I just took inventory. 14 drivers and 3 new heads unshafted.:confused2:

My 3 driver switches were from a wooden one to a steel to a titanium driver. Technology dictated my changes when I saw a 65 year old man outdriving me with a modern style driver when I had my steel driver 4-5 years ago.

I recently pulled an old Cobra ss310 tour out of retirement and it is as long and seems more accurate than my other drivers.It's small face along with small head size compared to the monster faces and heads of the new drivers makes it seem easier for to me to get center hits.That gives me just as much distance and better accuracy. That is my experience and not meant to sway anyones opinion.

Last edited:
I think we are all influenced by what's being played on tour...and we think that if we switch, it will answer all of our problems. I am guilty of switching clubs every six months! And not just driver.

DMoney,
I like the bag. You must have jumped on that R9 after reading our review.

I changed to my D2 from a TM Tour Burner. The Tour Burner had a regular shaft in it, and it was too soft of a shaft. I traded in the Tour Burner because with the trade in it was less expensive then if i reshafted, so I picked up the D2.

Looking to get rid of any? :D

I've got a 10.5*Tour Edge Exotics/ Matrix MFS65 for sale on other forums. Can't list it here because of the 25 day probation period for us newbies. I also have a 10.5* Infinit Propulsion 450 XS/ Accuflex Icon V2 for sale. PM me if interested.

I just made a change to the Evolver, but I'm already second guessing myself on this one. I'm going to give it a few more range sessions/rounds before I decide whether or not to keep it. I'm thinking about selling the Nickent and picking up an R9.

I just made a change to the Evolver, but I'm already second guessing myself on this one. I'm going to give it a few more range sessions/rounds before I decide whether or not to keep it. I'm thinking about selling the Nickent and picking up an R9.

What's the problem with the Evolver there MO?

I'm not sure but it just doesn't feel as good to me as my old TM R5, I don't know if it's the 1* increase in loft or the reg. flex shafts. Something is just off, to me the face just didn't feel as hot as my old driver. Hopefully this week I'll get back to the range and use both drivers or if I can squeeze in a round I will take both and compare.

MO,
That is a shame. We have tested the 4DX against just about every driver out there and the face is SOOO Hot for us. Just about every pro at my club has switched to it.

Back