scooterguitar

Slacker and Whiner
Reaction score
Handicap
3-8perhole
...I love him! Always have. He's real and never really fake. Always something new. Just read his biography, fun and heartfelt read.

i played in a scramble recently with a lot of pros and celebrities. john daly and steve azar(my neighboor who is a country music singer) hosted the event and i was a lot of fun, especially cuz we played one of the top 25 golf courses in the southeast. to the point, i respected john daly before the event and i no longer do. i got to meet him and he is a nice guy, but i can't remember one time where i saw him without multiple drinks in hand or a cigarette. hey wore jeans to the scramble, which wasn't very classy in my opinion. i also talked to the guys from campbell chevrolet, who sponsored the event and also played with john daly, and they said he was wasted after the first 3 holes cuz he drank 2 bottles of crown royal on #2 tee box. that is why i dont like him anymore

If you didn't see him drinking it, I'd take that story with a grain of salt (even though Daly's reputation preceeds him wherever he goes). Did you actually see him after this supposedly took place? Was he stumbling around drunk? You saw this with your own eyes? Sometimes people make up stories to make things seem more exciting than they really were. I seriously doubt he drank two bottles of anything on one tee box. (Unless they were those little airplane bottles).

In his book, he states he started smoking cigs in college as the coach demanded that he lose weight...cigs do supress appetite.
I like the fact he wears the jeans. He is the true everyman, not Rocco (do love the Roc though!). I think my point is, he really could care less what the prez or the guy sitting next to him at Arby's thinks and he does what he wants. Sure he continues to pay for it, but that is his decision and if he can fight his demons, so be it, if not, so be it.

Being a wee bit older, when I started golf, he was the cool guy. He hit it long, smoked and drank...not the prissy stuffy shirt type. For many, we like that aspect and it opened the game up to MANY new players who never would have played if it weren't for Daly breaking some barriers. oN the other hand, I do respect all of your thoughts and opposition to the controversy that surrounds such a lifestyle and golf demeanor. To each is own my friends.

I read his book too, it just doesn't seem like he cares enough about himself to make the changes he needs to be competitive again.

smallville, i heard the story from the people in his group and also the people playing behind him. i saw him afterwards, and over the course of 20 minutes he smoked a few and had two different cups in his hand. his bodyguard/roadie type guy had to help him to the car because he was way out of the loop and having trouble staying balanced. i also saw the size of the crown bottles because old stone country club served beverages as well as sodas and gatorade. they had various brands of vodka and some liquor. the crown royal bottles seemed normal size to me. my dad used to be in the liquor industry so i know what they look like

Daly being Daly again!!!
John Daly chucks putter in water, withdraws from PGA Tour Champions event

Back