Any MMA/UFC fans?

China Cat>Rider

Dazed & Cornfused
Reaction score
I'm a huge follower of mixed martial arts. Anyone else on here enjoy watching dudes beat the crap out of eachother? :act-up:

I used to be. I still have the first 30 UFC's on DVD. But I do not watch it anymore.

really...why? Its better than it ever was now

I used to watch in circa 97 or so, but to be entirely frank, the injuries started to turn my stomach after a while, some of which seemed rather permanent and awful. That said, some of those guys are born killers. In our dark, primordial beginnings I'm sure their forefathers were deadly warriors.

I don't follow it but I'll watch it when it's on.

I used to watch in circa 97 or so, but to be entirely frank, the injuries started to turn my stomach after a while, some of which seemed rather permanent and awful. That said, some of those guys are born killers. In our dark, primordial beginnings I'm sure their forefathers were deadly warriors.

It has become so much more organized since the late 90s. They wanted to become considered a legit sport therefore were required to become sanctioned just as boxing is. The refs back in the early days basically would not stop the fight unless someone became seriously hurt. BY then it was usually too late. Also back then there was alot less skill and many of them got by with basic kicking, punching and elbow strikes.

Since UFC acquired Pride the talent has gone through the roof. I couldnt be happier overall with the direction Dana White is taking mma. Its just getting huge.

The UFC and MMA in general has evolved from the bloodsport that it was at its origin and become very much strategic and methodical.

I love it, not surprising considering my wrestling background. Sadly, though, it is taking many elite level wrestlers away from pursuing the Olympic styles. Ben Askren, the USA's 2008 Freestyle Olympian at 163 lbs at the young age of 24, just made his pro debut and says he might not wrestle in this Olympic cycle.

The UFC and MMA in general has evolved from the bloodsport that it was at its origin and become very much strategic and methodical.

I love it, not surprising considering my wrestling background. Sadly, though, it is taking many elite level wrestlers away from pursuing the Olympic styles. Ben Askren, the USA's 2008 Freestyle Olympian at 163 lbs at the young age of 24, just made his pro debut and says he might not wrestle in this Olympic cycle.

well you have a good point there. But lets be honest...if you're a young guy with the decision to make between training for the olympics or trying out for a chance for a lucrative contract worth ALOT of money what would you probably lean towards? The world is a very different place today. Everyone wants instant gratification and the money and fame. I'm not saying I agree with that. MMA is the new hot thing and everyone wants to get into it. Probably less than 1% of them will ever make it into a successful career.

With that said who do you like in next weekends card? I like Jardine but dont think he can stop Rampage. Vera and Patt should be a great fight. I like Vera in that one.

I used to watch every ppv, I liked it better when it was a tournament format without the weight classes and rounds. It was definitely more brutal back then but they were all willing contestants. My favorite back in the day was Royce Gracie, that guy was a machine.

all of the gracies were machines. Royce pioneered the art of taking down a much larger opponent and submitting them. I'll never forget his 06 fight with matt hughes. hughes hyperextended gracies arm in a kimura but he wudnt tap. hughes later said he released the hold cuz he knew gracie would never tap and would rather have his arm broken. thats hardcore

I can remember Gracie fighting somebody for at least 15 min. (can't remember who he was fighting though). That poor guy had Gracie down in a defensive position the whole time but couldn't finish, finally he made a mistake and Gracie submitted him. The fight lasted so long that DirecTv shut off our ppv, we could hear it but everything was snow on the screen. To make it right they comp'd us a replay of the entire ppv event.

I can remember Gracie fighting somebody for at least 15 min. (can't remember who he was fighting though). That poor guy had Gracie down in a defensive position the whole time but couldn't finish, finally he made a mistake and Gracie submitted him. The fight lasted so long that DirecTv shut off our ppv, we could hear it but everything was snow on the screen. To make it right they comp'd us a replay of the entire ppv event.

that was against Dan Severn. Ufc 4...1994. He got him in a triangle choke. Royce used to use his gi to choke people too. Always felt that was unfair.

That was the one, how could it be unfair, they didn't have any rules back then. Except maybe biting, I don't remember for sure.

well it was labeled as "no holds barred" back but there was supposed to be no biting or eye gouging. hair pulling, headbutts and groin shot also werent allowed but the refs never did anything about it.

the fight i was referring to with gracie was against ken shamrock. they wouldnt let shamrock wear his wrestling boots because they said they could be used as a weapon. but gracie was allowed to wear his gi and frequently used it as a weapon. thats why I didnt think it was fair.

Gracie used it as a weapon in nearly every match, I guess it depends on whether you liked him or not. (As far as being fair/unfair) The thing I liked about him was he didn't look dangerous, he wasn't intimidating. I won a lot of money from guys the first time they would watch a fight with him in it. Some of them would be so hard headed they would bet against him multiple times in one night

well you have a good point there. But lets be honest...if you're a young guy with the decision to make between training for the olympics or trying out for a chance for a lucrative contract worth ALOT of money what would you probably lean towards? The world is a very different place today. Everyone wants instant gratification and the money and fame. I'm not saying I agree with that. MMA is the new hot thing and everyone wants to get into it. Probably less than 1% of them will ever make it into a successful career.

With that said who do you like in next weekends card? I like Jardine but dont think he can stop Rampage. Vera and Patt should be a great fight. I like Vera in that one.

This is all very true. On one hand, it has given wrestlers a professional outlet where they can become recognized outside of our cultish community, but on the other hand, it takes away from the top level of our sport. In fact, 90% of the top MMA fighters in the world have strong wrestling backgrounds; Hughes, Koscheck, Maynard, Evans, Lesnar, Couture, the list goes on.

I will actually be in Columbus that night for the state wrestling tourney, but they overlap and I will not be able to make the UFC. Jardine is nasty, but his bread and butter is striking, and I think Rampage is just better than him from their feet.

I don't follow it, one of my best friends loves it, I tried to get into but I couldn't.

This is all very true. On one hand, it has given wrestlers a professional outlet where they can become recognized outside of our cultish community, but on the other hand, it takes away from the top level of our sport. In fact, 90% of the top MMA fighters in the world have strong wrestling backgrounds; Hughes, Koscheck, Maynard, Evans, Lesnar, Couture, the list goes on.

I will actually be in Columbus that night for the state wrestling tourney, but they overlap and I will not be able to make the UFC. Jardine is nasty, but his bread and butter is striking, and I think Rampage is just better than him from their feet.

Im not a fan of Rampage. I would love to see Jardine KO him but doubt it will happen. Im just patiently waiting for Fedor to come and destroy everyone...

great card tonight. looking forward to evans-jackson. rampage had more trouble with jardine then I expected. next few events are gonna be awesome. sucks that lesnar-mir is canceled for now though.

Back