Need advice on dropping my handicap

c0ncept

SFT
Reaction score
Handicap
Life
Hey guys,

I would really appreciate anything you guys can come up with because this is something that I wanted to push myself to do.

I am finally healthy and playing good golf and right now my handicap is about a 2.

Problem is that I need to be playing +3 ASAP to tryout for my school team.

The weakest part of my game is distance and I am wondering if this is even possible to reach +3 with me not being able to hit longer then 270 off the tee.

My strongest parts of my game are my course management and my short game

I don't have any expectations of making the team but I really want to tryout and not waste anyone's time.

It is very very very hot here right now and I have been struggling to keep my training schedule of 4 days at the range and at least one day on the course per week.

Does this even seem possible? If so does anyone have any advice on how to approach this kind of situation?

Thanks in advance any advice means a lot to me.

-Andrew

Well as far as advice goes I don't know how much I can help considering you are about 5 stokes better than my current handicap. I will say two things though. I recently dropped about 5 strokes off my handicap and it has all been by focusing on my weaknesses and putting the time and effort forward to improve on those areas. It sounds like you have a good idea of where your weaknesses are, so go out and make them your strengths. As far as whether or not you can contend when you are not a big hitter, I think there are many examples of great golfers who would disprove this theory. You can look at luke donald (the current world number one), or the man would nearly won the PGA championship this past week, or even look at Tom Watson. He was never a big hitter and he is one if the greatest and he had even competed in majors in recent years when he is one if the shortest hitters out there.

aren't there guys on tour that average around only 270? so i'd say, yes it is possible.

Jim Furyk, Luke Donald, DA Points, David Toms, Jerry Kelly, Scott Verplank, Rocco Mediate, Ian Poulter, Zach Johnson, etc.

Distance isn't the biggest concern, but it is certainly a great tool to have in your game. Scoring doesn't come from 300 yd drives, it comes from putting the ball in the hole in the fewest strokes. You know this well enough to have made it as far as you have, so you just need to figure out what's really keeping that ball from going in a couple shots sooner. My biggest obstacle has been putting, and accuracy after that. So that's what I work on.

I'm about to start reading some of Bob Rotella's books on building a stronger mental game, which I think will help tremendously. Maybe something you might consider as well. Keep at it and good luck with the tryouts!

Thanks Doctors :) I am going to play the course from the tips tomorrow (something I havent done in over a year) and see what parts of my game are holding me back. I have no idea how to pull it off in two weeks though because it is so damn hot here I cant spend more then 45 minutes at the range.

If you're not a long hitter you MUST have not only a great short game but a wonderful long iron game. You need to be able to dial in you long irons and hybrids to give yourself birdie opportunities. I didn't look at your profile but I'm guessing youre trying out for your college team. I played three years of D1 golf and if you can show hard work (first one there last to leave) and consistency you don't have to be a +3 to make the team. I was right around a +3 during college but had to work very hard and stay focused all the time. If I could suggest anything it's getting you long iron yardage down pat and work hard on mental strength. Good luck and keep us updated.

---
- Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Hey guys,

I would really appreciate anything you guys can come up with because this is something that I wanted to push myself to do.

I am finally healthy and playing good golf and right now my handicap is about a 2.

Problem is that I need to be playing +3 ASAP to tryout for my school team.

The weakest part of my game is distance and I am wondering if this is even possible to reach +3 with me not being able to hit longer then 270 off the tee.

My strongest parts of my game are my course management and my short game

I don't have any expectations of making the team but I really want to tryout and not waste anyone's time.

It is very very very hot here right now and I have been struggling to keep my training schedule of 4 days at the range and at least one day on the course per week.

Does this even seem possible? If so does anyone have any advice on how to approach this kind of situation?

Thanks in advance any advice means a lot to me.

-Andrew

My best advice is to not get caught up in the distance game. One of the best players at my home course has a +2.5 handicap and is one of the shorter hitters there, with a driver average of around 245/255. He plays good because he is a very good iron player and has a super short game.

Work on your short game and putting. Spend your driver range time working on hitting fairways and not distance. Accuracy trumps distance in this game. Always remember that John Daly lead the tour in driver distance for years on end and never won in those years.

I agree...don't worry about the distance. If you are hitting it 270 you are fine. Accuracy is way more vital in lowering your handicap than distance is. Keep working on your short game. Try to get your up and down percentage to 70% or greater and this includes bunker play as well. Keep your stats and work on improving all aspects of your game. How old are you as well?
The stats you should try to achieve are the following:
Driving Accuracy: 70%+
Greens in Regulation: Depending on the difficulty of your course and length try to get around 65%+ per round
Putting: 1.6 to 1.7 putts per greens in regulation, under 28 putts per round
Sand Saves: 70%+
Up and Down: 70%+

I promise you if you get somewhere near these stats you will become a + handicap without any issues. Of course on the longer and more difficult courses these numbers will go down but hopefully your putting and up and down percentages will go up and your score will stay relatively the same.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. Also, if you do not make the team keep working on your game and it will come as long as you have the 3 D's covered which is determination, discipline and dedication.

I also agree that distance shouldn't be a problem. I would just say that if you're looking to get to be a +, focus on GIR. As a 2 you are good enough to hit some close, so if you hit greens and 2 putts for par, you will make birdies by knocking some close or holing some putts. Hit those greens!

---
- I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.

Thanks guys I have each hole on the course planned out and I am done taking "practice" rounds where I just mess around. I also set realistic goals on which holes I can birdie and which ones I am playing for par. Right now I think I can probably birdie 6 holes on the course consistently so I need to play smart around the few water holes(not taking an 8 on a par 4 because I feel like Tin Cup)

Find a swing coach, not just some random PGA teaching pro, but someone with a stable of kids that he's made into D1 players and tour players. Listen to him and work your butt off for the next year and then tryout for the team. And yes, damn this heat! Played yesterday and it was brutal here in Vegas, I know AZ is even more brutal.

The biggest feature of my game that took off several strokes was my short irons. My 9i-7i were never very accurate. Now, I can almost hit the green every time with those clubs. They saw a lot of time at the range though, weeks at the range with only those irons. As time past I was very confident in my stroke, it's rare I miss the green with 9i-7i.

Whatever your weakness is, work on it. It does pay off.

Find a swing coach, not just some random PGA teaching pro, but someone with a stable of kids that he's made into D1 players and tour players. Listen to him and work your butt off for the next year and then tryout for the team. And yes, damn this heat! Played yesterday and it was brutal here in Vegas, I know AZ is even more brutal.

I was working with a guy in Washington but now that I am back in school I really dont have the time for that (or the $) since I need to change my training schedule to 18 in the morning MWTThF and range at night MWTThF...and do a bit of homework in between lol

I also agree that distance shouldn't be a problem. I would just say that if you're looking to get to be a +, focus on GIR. As a 2 you are good enough to hit some close, so if you hit greens and 2 putts for par, you will make birdies by knocking some close or holing some putts. Hit those greens!

---
- I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.

You have to be able to make the putts too, I have had days where I hit 15 of 18 GIR and still shot a 75 because I hit 35 or more putts. Putting is the most critical thing once you get past just hitting a high percentage of shots about as well as you can possibly hit them. Also don't overlook accuracy with the mid irons, I played a kid who was on one of the state championship HS teams here in town a couple of years ago and the one thing that really stood out to me watching his game was the fact that his 5 and 6 iron second shots were tighter than my 8 and 9 iron shots into the same green, so even though I was longer off every tee he was making birdies from 6 and 8 feet while I was putting from 15-20 feet. Big, big difference on the scorecard as a result, beat me by 7 or 8 shots.

I don't think that hitting a tee shot 270 should hinder you at all. It had already been brought up that there are a lot of very succesful golfers that don't hit the ball any further than that.

I would say that the key is to play smart golf. This has always been my downfall to lowering my handicap. Being a longer hitter I think that I can pull off shots that have very low succes rates. My best rounds have been when I decide to play it safe.

Also work on the short game A LOT, if your not hitting the greens your short game can save you from making bogey. Remember it's simple hit your tee shot, hit the green and you have 2 putts to stay even.

Good luck!

My college golf coach was a great teacher as well as my teammates. Why not reach out to those guys?
Two weeks is a lot to ask to drop to a +3 or even scratch. My best advise is work hard on your game for the next year and try out in 2012. I can tell you, hours need to be spent chipping, putting and ball striking.
I think your distance is fine, one of Dukes top 5 is not long by any stretch, but he is razor sharp with every club in his bag. Good luck with what ever you decide. Be sure to commit no matter what you choose.

---
- Brought to by iPhone 4 powered by Tapatalk

My college golf coach was a great teacher as well as my teammates. Why not reach out to those guys?
Two weeks is a lot to ask to drop to a +3 or even scratch. My best advise is work hard on your game for the next year and try out in 2012. I can tell you, hours need to be spent chipping, putting and ball striking.
I think your distance is fine, one of Dukes top 5 is not long by any stretch, but he is razor sharp with every club in his bag. Good luck with what ever you decide. Be sure to commit no matter what you choose.

---

Its a new coach this year and so there isnt really any time to talk to him. He said that if I could get down then to email him september 1st. I just want to shoot good scores for the next 2 weeks then I will see if I should tryout. I dont want to waste anyones time by being there.

c0ncept, What school are you going to tryout for?

ASU :embarrassed:

Why are you embarrassed. You have one heck of coach coming in. How many spots is he looking to fill?
What are you last 10 rounds?

---

ASU :embarrassed:

What the hell, go for it!!! I had heard that walk-ons never get to play, so I never tried out. I missed on an opportunity that I'll never get a chance at ever again. That is the one regret in my entire life and I'll never know what could've happened. Who knows, maybe I would've gone out there and shot twin 6's and made the team...I'll never know! So, go out there and play your best, regardless if you shoot 64, 74, or 84, fire at some pins and play smart where you need to.

If you don't make it, us fellow Phoenician THP'ers will play with ya and keep you focused for next year's tryouts. And if you do make it, you can get me some new sticks for dirt cheap! :smile:

Why are you embarrassed. You have one heck of coach coming in. How many spots is he looking to fill?
What are you last 10 rounds?

---

Yeah but the chances of walking on are 1 in 1000 lol. I have really just been messing around for the whole summer...I shot about 4 over average for the last 10.

Yeah but the chances of walking on are 1 in 1000 lol. I have really just been messing around for the whole summer...I shot about 4 over average for the last 10.

Have you ever played tournament golf? Those tryouts are going to be just like a tournament. I would practice for the next year, get a job as team manager or something to stay close to the coach and get it moving in 2012. ASU boys/girls don't play, they gets it done. Their incoming frosh got game!

---

What the hell, go for it!!! I had heard that walk-ons never get to play, so I never tried out. I missed on an opportunity that I'll never get a chance at ever again. That is the one regret in my entire life and I'll never know what could've happened. Who knows, maybe I would've gone out there and shot twin 6's and made the team...I'll never know! So, go out there and play your best, regardless if you shoot 64, 74, or 84, fire at some pins and play smart where you need to.

If you don't make it, us fellow Phoenician THP'ers will play with ya and keep you focused for next year's tryouts. And if you do make it, you can get me some new sticks for dirt cheap! :smile:

Haha I would love that and I know the feeling of regretting not taking something seriously because you figured it wasnt going to happen.

Have you ever played tournament golf? Those tryouts are going to be just like a tournament. I would practice for the next year, get a job as team manager or something to stay close to the coach and get it moving in 2012. ASU boys/girls don't play, they gets it done. Their incoming frosh got game!

---

I golf like 100x better under pressure like that. I have always been one to feed off of competition so if I feel like I can do the tryout without wasting anyone's time then I will. If I decide I want to be on the team after all this I will definitely give it another go next year.

I've never played competitive golf, but here's my take.

First off, you need to stop thinking you are going to be wasting anyone's time. I know at that level effort doesn't get you on the team, but I guarantee that if you were to walk into the coach's office, shake his hand, look him in the eye and tell him what your goals are, he would not only encourage you to play the event, but might possibly find a place for you to help develop the program. Coaches of a team like that want someone that is going to work harder than the rest and push the regulars. You might not play this year but you will get a chance to show the coach that you take this just as seriously as anyone on the team, your dream will not be denied. I say play regardless of your advancement over the next weeks and when the time comes, make it rain! Leave it all out there and if you don't make the cut, get your foot in the door and take it from there.

Back