Greetings from Tennessee

adwillingham

Callaway Homer
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I guess I never started one of these threads when I joined up a couple of weeks ago...guess I should since I plant to stick around.

My name is Donne, and I'm a golfaholic. Crowd: "Hi, Donne"

Personal:

I live in beautiful Cleveland, TN (southeast TN, near Chattanooga)...home of the 2000 Olympics White Water Rafting on the beautiful Ocoee River. We are near the western edge of the Great Smokey Mountains, so there is not too much flat land to build golf courses around here. I am a bit spoiled though golf-wise since I moved here about two years ago from Mobile, AL (with all the RTJ courses) and Augusta, GA before that (no comment needed).

2000 Graduate of University of Alabama (Roll Tide) with a Chemical Engineering degree I no longer use.

Married for 8 years, father of a nine-month old son (see profile pic).

Golf:

I have been "playing" golf - if that's what you call what I do on the course - since I was young. I was with my dad at the course at the age of three when he made his one and only hole-in-one.

I shoot legitimately in the mid to high nineties now. I probably only get to play three or four rounds a month, with just a few range sessions scattered in, so I get out of it about what I put into it.

My wife has clubs, but plays only about once a year...pre-baby. She has mandated that Drew must be able to walk before I can buy him clubs, because she knows I would have already bought them otherwise :act-up:

I have no interest in pushing him to play if he doesn't like it, but I cherish the memories of playing with my grandfather and every time I get to play with my dad and brothers now, so I'm hoping he will get into it (and drag my wife along as well).

I am an equipment junky (although nowhere NEAR the scope of Scooter :act-up:). If I spent half as much on lessons as I did on equipment I'm sure I would play better. Shiny new clubs always inspire confidence.

I love to watch golf on TV most every weekend, and am known to take the Fridays of Majors as vacation days. Master's Friday is second only to Christmas (and ahead of my Birthday) in my holiday rankings.

I have attended a couple of pro tournaments and got to go to the Masters three different years while I lived in Augusta. If anyone ever questions if it is worth the eBay prices to attend just once, I would say absolutely yes. TV does not do the National justice.

Other than that, I am a big name golf course junkie. I would rather play two rounds a year at famous courses than play ten times at lesser courses. Mostly though, I just raid the pro shops without spending the money to play. I have visited Pinehurst, Pebble Beach, Chambers Bay, TPC Sawgrass, Blackwolf Run, and Harbour Town (among others) but haven't had the time or money to play any of them - although I have the golf shirts and bag tags to prove my visits. I have played Kapalua Plantation (shot 99 with a par on 18).

Anyway, probably more than you all care to read in one sitting, so I'll cut off this boring biography.

Thanks for letting me join your community. I am enjoying reading and responding to all the great threads on the forum.

:smile-big: I noticed you around here! Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new little guy. You look like a very proud pappa.

Such a detailed welcome post, thanks!

That has to take the prize as the longest, most informative intro post! Now get back to the arcade and whoop up on SOBAY!

Welcome Donnie.

Thanks Small...I have never yet been accused of being short-winded :act-up:

Welcome, belatedly, to the site. I'm spending some time for work in Memphis these days, and am a fellow new dad of a 7 1/2 month old as well, though mine's a girl.

Hey, welcome to THP, Donne!

My M-I-L lives there in Cleveland as well.

Welcome to THP.

Welcome to THP!

Welcome Donne. I've never made it to the Smokies, but I love the Blue Ridge.

Plus I have plans to play Chambers Bay in August (fingers crossed).

Welcome aboard.

2000 Graduate of University of Alabama (Roll Tide) with a Chemical Engineering degree I no longer use.

I won't hold that against you. :tongue: Go Vols!!!! :alien2: :banana:

I live in beautiful Cleveland, TN (southeast TN, near Chattanooga)...home of the 2000 Olympics White Water Rafting on the beautiful Ocoee River.
Isnt that the same river that they filmed the movie, "Deliverance" on? :confused2: Im just sayin'... :quiet:
Anywho, welcome to THP.

Actually Bake, the movie was shot on the Chattooga River, dividing South Carolina and Georgia.

Spoiler
But I had to look that up :act-up:

Now you have to go to the avatars & taglines thread to explain how you got from Donne to adwillingham!

Welcome, Donnie. As we established in an earlier thread, I'm also a glorified plumber (ChemE) - Michigan Tech, '94. I don't know that I've ever used the degree as intended, I went from ChemE into Mat'lsE and then was a process engineer before the lobotomy - now I'm a manager. :)

My wife and I used to make it through Cleveland pretty regularly when we were shooting Sporting Clays - there's a fantastic course in Benton. Now we're golfers and commented that we had not been through Chattanooga in about a year.

Welcome and glad to see another TN face - I'm in Knoxville. Glad to meet ya.

Actually Bake, the movie was shot on the Chattooga River, dividing South Carolina and Georgia.

Spoiler
But I had to look that up :act-up:
Oh, my bad. :beat-up: I could have sworn that I remember a Jeff Foxworthybit from around '00 when he talked about the Olympics being held in Georgia and how the river that the kyak race was being held on is the same river where they fimed Deliverance on and something about, "If Ned Beatty cant make it down that thing, a Frenchman in a pair of bicycle shorts aint got a chance."

hey Donne, nice to see the number TN residents on here grow. i am from ft. lauderdale, but i have lived in nashville for the past 6 years or so. have a great time here you will really enjoy it!

Back