Men in Pants and Ladies in Shorts

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Does anybody know the actual reason that men play in pants and ladies play in shorts on the tours. I am curious with the history behind it.

Well, I prefer to play in khaki shorts. Thats just me.

I'm not sure (and don't really mind), but I think the equivalent would be to require the ladies to wear either pants or skorts.

• Admin
I dont mind either Harry. But curiousity is getting to me with this one.

Does anybody know the actual reason that men play in pants and ladies play in shorts on the tours. I am curious with the history behind it.

I believe it goes way back in history. Women always played in dresses and men played in pants. Pants were looked upon as being masculine and women were not allowed to wear them. As golf progressed, the dresses turned into shorter skirts and finally skorts or shorts.

Another opinion may be have to due with sexuality. Men prefer to look at women's legs, so the world supports skorts/shorts on the professional circuit for men.

Just my 2 cents.

I dont really watch the LPGA, are the women not allowed to wear pants?

I think Lorena Ochoa or Michelle Wie wore pants once.

• Admin
They are allowed to wear pants.

Every time I play in the local pro-am in support of the local Nationwide Tour event, I ask those guys what they think about having to wear pants. Especially on those days when it is 90+ with humidity. Every one of them have told me it is a ridiculous rule and it should be changed. I don't know the origin of the rule but it has always been in place. One of the older guys told me this. 20 years ago shorts were very short and tight and a little unattractive on men. Now, shorts will come down to the knees and would look fine. He said it was a really stupid rule and should be changed.

Although pants have gotten better with material and they are not that bad to play in, at some point someone will get ill from the heat and something will have to be done.

I think that if the forecast is in the 80's or above they should be given the option to wear shorts. I am surprised the players have not brought it up before. It can't be very fun to play the PGA in Tulsa in August when it is almost 100 degrees, it is borderline dangerous.

Total speculation here, but...

I'd guess that when the PGA got going, no one anywhere wore shorts on the course. The guys wore pants because there was no other choice. Golf is a game of tradition. Just because the rest of the world changes is no reason for the PGA to do so. So they kept/keep wearing pants. Heck, until recently, Baltusrol (PGA championship 2005 and I think 2012 or 2015 or something) only recently began allowing men to wear shorts in July and August--otherwise they have to wear pants. Tiger caused quite a stir in the spring of 2005 when he played an early practice round in shorts.

When the LPGA got going, women wore long-ish skirts on the course. As golf course fashions changed, the option to wear shorter skirts or shorts wasn't just aesthetic--it had to do with improved mechanics in the swing. So of course women made the change, just as we all now use metal woods. Better equipment.

Unless someone has a better version...

im not sure, but i for one just dont care to see someone like Colin Montgomerie in shorts, lol

My guess would be that it has something to do with shorts on men not looking, "dignified" enough. If they are going to allow men to wear shorts at PGA events, whats next? Sleeveless shirts? Its a slippery slope.

I dont really watch the LPGA, are the women not allowed to wear pants?

Gasman...you should be ashamed of yourself not watching the LPGA. tsk tsk...I'm really disappointed.

Those women are amazing. My golfguy regularly watches them and not just for the short skorts (whenever it is rarely on TV that is - another rant is coming my way!) and says that watching it teaches him waaaaay more than watching the PGA. He loves watching the LPGA - way better than the Nationwide or Champions tour. (his words, not mine).

These ladies are good. We (YOU) should pay more attention to them.

Don't know why the world is this way, but it likely has to do with the roots of PGA Tour golf as a gentlemen's sport, and the sex-based distinctions in acceptable fashion. Also see my related prior post about traditional male fashion: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37571&postcount=48

Since the question was raised -- women do wear pants on the LPGA on occassion; there is no prohibition at least. A few very recent instances:

Ji Young Park
85544443.jpg

Suzann Peterson
85547506.jpg

Vicky Hurst
85531055.jpg

Stacy Lewis
85531053.jpg

Back