Need outerwear advice

IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Well it's time for me to actually spend a little cash on some decent outerwear, and after a few days of online shopping I almost bought a few things, but I didn't want to go cheap because I want to make sure it lasts a while. Here's my list of stuff I'm looking at:

Pullover/Full-zip Vest
Pullover/Full-zip Long Sleeve
Pullover/Full-zip Short Sleeve
Rainwear suit

Now I know it's a broad question, so any and all advice and recommendations are welcome, but I also have a second follow up question about color:

What colors should I get in them? I'm looking at more basic colors that I will be able to wear with most things, so do I go with colors like Black, Navy and Grey? I was trying to avoid the louder colors, i.e. Red, Royal Blue and Green, but the more I think about it, those colors may actually go with more!

I was tired of flip flopping in my head and thought I'd ask the experts!

Now bring me your knowledge, THANKS!!!

I have a Zero Restriction wind/rain short sleeve 1/4 zip shirt that I love. If money were no object, I'd look at a jacket with the zip-off sleeves, probably ZR or Titleist. Only in black, cause it goes with everything.

I was a big fan of the Sunice collection. Wore it this fall in some pretty poor weather and was always comfortable.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?22485-Sunice-Pro-Sport-Collection

I'd go with black, but that's just me.

I will second this one. I have a sunice rain top that I absolutely love, perfect cut and some really neat features in the design. I have been in some nasty rain while wearing that jacket and I've stayed bone dry. I'll even use it for work purposes even though it's not part of our uniform protocol, it's just that good. The fit of the zero restriction is very nice as well, but I've never actually used it on course. I also have some Nike Storm-Fit that I'll use if it's a cooler rain, it's an older style and still has the nylon swish sound, but their newer releases are excellent. JB showed me his Cross rain top awhile back and I was very impressed with it's design. I will own one of those soon.

As for colors, man that's tough. I like black myself for the reason that it just goes with everything and I don't have to worry about looking like a clown on the course. On the other hand one with some color can certainly brighten a dreary day.

Check with golf4her, fairway styles and blind 9, between those three I'm certain you will get exactly what you want and at a great price. Hopefully that helped some what, or if nothing else, added to your shopping list!

Mizuno Windlite and Impermalite are the best I've ever used for the cold, wet and windy by a long shot. One of those plus a Under Armour Cold Tec compression shirt and I'm super toasty.

I have just about every single brand in my closet and two of them stand above the rest and that is Sunice and Cross. Both brands have a wide variety of looks and feels, but they are basically the only two I reach for now. Below them would be Nike, adidas, Mizuno, FJ and a few others that are all interchangeable if you ask me.

I have a FJ windjacket that I really like. Also have one of those jackets where you can unzip the sleeves at 3 different locations depending on how cold it is. I got it from Dicks, and it's been really nice for 30$. Next thing on my list is a SunIce half zip, if I can find one that's made for wind AND rain I'll be buying it no questions asked. All I've seen at tgw.com is wind jackets, so I'm not even sure they make a combo.

I keep hearing about Galway Bay apparel on XM radio. Custom stuff, supposed to be a nice blend of warm and dry but still breathable. There's a 10 or 15% special going on if you mention 20893, or Sirius 208, XM 93. One of those two, either way it's the stations they're on.

I have just about every single brand in my closet and two of them stand above the rest and that is Sunice and Cross. Both brands have a wide variety of looks and feels, but they are basically the only two I reach for now. Below them would be Nike, adidas, Mizuno, FJ and a few others that are all interchangeable if you ask me.

Can't say I've come across Cross outerwear and I just spent a lot of time looking at/buying outerwear. I'll have to look them up.

I recently purchased outerwear from Sunice, Zero Restriction, and Mizuno. I am very pleased with the quality and performance of the stuff I got from them during play this fall. I'm the last guy you'd want to ask about colors, but I do prefer black, or basically colors that are less flashy. The main reason is that I like to wear these pricey outerwear pieces off the course and not have them look out of place. I like a windjacket or light fleece that looks good with a pair of jeans. Make sure you aren't buying this stuff just for looks, the function is more important. Make sure the pieces are as lightweight as possible but still meet your needs on the course.

You can see a full review of Cross on our home page. And if you check out Fairwaystyles, they carry Cross.

I was a big fan of the Sunice collection. Wore it this fall in some pretty poor weather and was always comfortable.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?22485-Sunice-Pro-Sport-Collection

I'd go with black, but that's just me.

Another point for Sunice. I have never bought the stuff myself, but when working at the golf course we were always giving a few different pieces for different types of weather and have never complained about it or had a coworker really complain. Besides the odd person complaining about colours we had to wear.

The Galway Bay stuff is great....
God knows it gets 'tested' over here!!!

I wear the FJ DryJoy Tor gear. I have a couple of vests and a couple of full pullovers. It has held up great for me over the last 3 years. I am a little bigger through the shoulders and chest and it is one of the few that does not constrict me while I am playing. I have a few others that I just wear while not playing but they are a little tighter so I don't play in them.

Personally I love Galvin Green, yes it's expensive but in my opinion you get what you pay for but I also have Sunice trousers and they are superb as well. I guess it depends on your budget

I have a FJ windjacket that I really like. Also have one of those jackets where you can unzip the sleeves at 3 different locations depending on how cold it is. I got it from Dicks, and it's been really nice for 30$. Next thing on my list is a SunIce half zip, if I can find one that's made for wind AND rain I'll be buying it no questions asked. All I've seen at tgw.com is wind jackets, so I'm not even sure they make a combo.

That one at Dick's is Walter Hagen brand, and I love mine. I also just got a sweet Nike Therma-Fit half-zip pullover for Christmas. That was about $50 but I'll wear that one a lot more than just the course.

Back