I Guess John Daly Won't Be Accepting that Ginn sur Mer Alternate Position This Week

Harry Longshanks

ILikeBigPutts&ICannotLie
Reaction score
http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.aspx?page=15100&select=27715

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2008/oct/29/pro-golfer-john-daly-spends-night-jail-after-being/

dalymug.jpg

Police: Golfer John Daly spends night in jail after passing out at Hooters

By Dan Galindo | Journal Reporter
Published: October 29, 2008

Former PGA golfer John Daly spent a night in jail this weekend after Winston-Salem police found him drunk outside a Hooters restaurant, police said.

Daly, of East Collierville, Tenn., was held early Sunday at the Forsyth County Jail to sober up, Lt. Tyrone Phelps said.

About 1 a.m., paramedics went to the Hooters on a report that Daly had passed out, Phelps said. They called for police, who arrived to find Daly intoxicated and unwilling to go to the hospital.

Officers said Daly smelled of alcohol.

"He didn't want to talk to them," Phelps said.

Daly had been traveling in a tour bus and told police that the people on the bus didn't want him back on it. Hooters was closing, so the officers decided to use a state law that allows them in some cases to take someone to jail to be held overnight to sober up, Phelps said.

Daly was later released. A friend, Ira Lee Dean, 39, of Chapmansboro, Tenn., was arrested on a charge of disorderly conduct.

"The friend got a little excited and got out of hand and called the officers names, so he was arrested," Phelps said.

Dean was released on an unsecured bond.

Daly, 42, is a two-time major champion who hasn't had his PGA Tour card for the last two years. He burst onto the scene in 1991 when he came out of nowhere to win the PGA Championship. He was the ninth alternate but got into the tournament and won it.

He has won five times on tour including the 1995 British Open, but hasn't had full playing privileges on the PGA Tour since 2006.

Daly, who has been divorced four times, has been suspended twice by the tour at least twice.

In March, Daly and his swing coach at the time, Butch Harmon, parted ways after Daly spent time in a Hooter's corporate tent at a PGA Tour tournament in Tampa. Harmon said that Daly wasn't serious about the game of golf.

According to reports, Harmon said: "The most important thing in his life is getting drunk."

Hooters has been one of Daly's sponsors since 2005.

Alexis Aleshire, a spokeswoman for Hooters, said Daly was not in Winston-Salem representing the company.

"From what we heard he was just there to have dinner," Aleshire said.

Daly was given a sponsor's exemption to play in the Wyndham Championship in Greensboro in August where he surprised many by shooting 70 and 67 to make the cut. He wound up finishing tied for 50th.

This year on the PGA Tour, playing on sponsor's exemptions, Daly played in 17 tournaments and made just five cuts to win $56,017 to rank 232nd on the money list.

For his career Daly has made nearly $10 million. He has made $9,109,268 to rank 89th on the PGA Tour's all-time money list.

Pretty sad stuff.

At this point, I am over the sad part. It was sad two years ago. We dont think it is sad when others keep screwing up their career. This one is over. He clearly cannot get a grip on himself and his demons. Would I like to see him back? Of Course. But I just do not see it happening.

Daly, who has been divorced four times, has been suspended twice by the tour at least twice.

So, has he been suspended four times?

Just twice.

Just twice.

I know. I was just pointing out the quality journalism from the repetitive redundancy society. :D

Pretty sad stuff.

I only think it's sad from the standpoint of the skill that he is wasting. It takes no skill to be a drunk and anyone of us could do that (if we were so inclined). Most of us, however, would give our [whatever] to have the rare talent to be a pro golfer. This guy just doesn't get it (perhaps never will). Another walking advertisement against taking the wrong fork in the road.

I wonder who he will blame for this one, it obviously isn't his fault that he has no self control.(sarcasm) It is starting to look like Butch was right.

You guys are all acting like you have never passed out in a Hooters after getting kicked out of your tour bus before.

You guys are all acting like you have never passed out in a Hooters after getting kicked out of your tour bus before.

HaHa, it wouldn't be so bad if this kind of stuff wasn't going on with this guy so often. I used to be a big Daly fan, but I am ready for him to fade away.

I don't think this qualifies as anything near a sad story. We all knew it was a matter of time before he made the news because of a stupid situation again. Anyone who throws away everything Daly has is a loser, nothing more. He'll do it again and again. That's already been proven. Disappointing? Maybe. Sad? Not a chance.

I don't think this qualifies as anything near a sad story. We all knew it was a matter of time before he made the news because of a stupid situation again. Anyone who throws away everything Daly has is a loser, nothing more. He'll do it again and again. That's already been proven. Disappointing? Maybe. Sad? Not a chance.

Sad in the sense that I'm sorry to see it happen to anyone. I come from a long line of drunk Irishmen and women; it's ugly, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

And, for an immediate gear (and ethinc) shift, let's have some schadenfreude--at least no one in the LPGA is behaving like this.

How is he a loser?
Always liked him and always will. Just because he's a pro doesn't mean he has to live his life the way others do does it? So he keeps messing up, it takes many people numerous failures before they "get it" and change their life.
He'll back again...wait and see.

John Daly is a throw back to the majority of professional golfers prior to the 1980's. At least he didn't walk into an aeroplane prop as our Jack Newton did.

Back