JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
In a quest for some research I was looking at the top irons of all time. In that list was:
Ping Eye 2
Tommy Armour 845
Titleist DCI
Taylor Made RAC
Hogan Apex

Of course this was a survey so who knows how accurate. Any thoughts?
It was done based on what irons stood the test of time, and what irons were trend setters and ahead of their time.

that seems accurate as to which irons were most popular for the longest amount of time, but i dont think any of those could truly be considered "the best." There are many different aspects which you can argue about which irons are the best. ie: the best feel, the best looking, ect.

• Admin
AK,
I agree with you, it was a survey done to speak more about the elements listed above. It was done by HotStix, the custom fitter. The funny thing is, one club maker made 3 out of those 5. His name is John Hoeflich.

• Admin
Had a chance to spend about 45 minutes on the phone today with John Hoeflich. It was amazing. We will be doing a profile on the front page in the next few days. He blew my mind with info and really gave me an education.

If you are a club fanatic like I am, you will definitely not want to miss it.

Last edited:
Sounds great!
I would aagree with the choices myself, well the first three as I think the other ones came out after I quit playing some years back.
I had all three:>) Dci's were shiznit when they hit. Bought 845's the year 855's hit, then traded them in (Like a fool) a few weeks later on the 855's, newer and better, but not really better. Never cared for eye 2.s

i'm choked that i sold my 845's. best bang for the buck irons i've used.

right here boys and girls, right here...

2990933468_f3916d9ee1_b.jpg

2990933290_cb99b314d5_b.jpg

2990078957_1971d518c3_b.jpg

The Taylor Made Tour Burners released in 1997 won four majors...don't know of any other irons with that claim - Els, Lehman, Jansen, O'Meara.

• Admin
The Tour Burners although a great club would not be considered trend setting like the top five of this list.

The Callaway Big Bertha irons introduced a totally new design concept in golf irons. The big bertha line kick started the company.

The Berthas did do exactly that. But in this survey they didnt crack the top 5.

i have to agree with the Titleist DCI (962's). they were in my bag for 9 straight years

i also liked the Hogan GCD's. My cousin gamed the 845's for about 6 straight years

Good to know John Hoeflich designed my Nickent 3DXs lol

DRJ, you have room for one more club in that bag! how about a 3 wood?

I wouldn't mind but I think I'm going to get a sand wedge, I need one more wedge.

We are giving away quite a few wedges in the charity raffle DRJ

greatest looking irons... Titeist 660/670/680/690 just pretty

None of those Titleists are on the list, but I do not think the list was based on looks. Although I am pretty sure HotStix incorporates that into their survey.

Was this a survey on the best selling clubs? I seem to be missing the idea behind it. I know that is the list of the best selling clubs in golf. I didn't know or remember that taylor made racs made that list. That is pretty cool and interesting.

I would agree with the Ping Eye 2 as being a club that would allow just about any golfer to score better. I have a set I do not use anymore just due to wear, and tear. What I liked about them they were easy to make adjustments to as my swing changed. I have the Eye 2 wooden woods also with that iron set. Probably the best club ever made, that was easy to hit accurate shots with, was the Ping Eye 2 two wood. :comp:

Back