Ball that's hit the cart path

TheNewBrad

Who's ya caddy?
Reaction score
Handicap
Deceptive
In my last round, I hit the cart path a couple of times when playing with a new ball.

When your ball hits a cart path mid-round, do you:

(a) retire it immediately?

(b) keep playing with it but retire it at the end of the round?

(c) keep playing with it as if it is new?

Depends on the damage. I usually see more scuffs or damage from a tree.

Depends on how bad it's scuffed up. I hit more trees than cart paths too, and the same goes with that. Usually no more than a few holes, right after the hole if it's a good scuff.

Keep it in play until it retires itself.lol

I've got a couple in my bag that are scuffed pretty bad, I'm keeping them to offer up to the pond on #10 at Bent Oak.

Depends on how bad it's scuffed up. I hit more trees than cart paths too, .....

Well, you might be amused to know that (in this round) when I hit the first cart path, it bounced that high it went vertically like a rocket into the lofty branches of a mature eucalyptus ending with that loud 'cracking sound'. So basically, I hit the path & a tree in one!!

I still remember hitting an uphill cart path off the tee. Ball rolled right back to where it had started. Grrr.

i always crank it straight down the middle of the fairway. :twist:

i always crank it straight down the middle of the fairway. :twist:

Your nose is growing NVM. :lying: I'd like to say the same but it's always that damned "cross-wind" that gets in the way. :lying:

Anyone else have any thoughts on this one?

Has anyone ever noticed difference in the performance of their ball after a scuff? (whether tree or path)

Keep it in play until it retires itself.lol

I've got a couple in my bag that are scuffed pretty bad, I'm keeping them to offer up to the pond on #10 at Bent Oak.

Bent Oak - - - ugggggh

Only time I ever "quit" on a golf course. It was #11 I think (par 3 over water) I put 3 balls in, picked up and took a 16.Then I played the rest after that. That hole killed me. Last time I ever played the course. GRRRRRRR
434.gif

I think I am going to have a wee chat with someone when I get home regarding this subject :roll:

Hey guys do I have a story for you all......:secret:

Are scuff marks bad for a ball?

:act-up:

In theory they could alter ball flight, but for most of us amateurs, we wont see the difference.

I don't like to putt with a scuffed ball. If nothing else, it's a mental thing to me, so that's enough reason to not use them! In the grand scheme of things, for me it probably makes no difference one way or another.

I don't know what scuffs do to the balls playability, but it must do something or pitchers wouldn't get in trouble for scuffing baseballs.

i never actually said it went down the fairway i was playing. :D

I played in a league one year on a course with VERY narrow fairways. We were stereotypical women--short but straight. Our league followed a guy's league, and I tell you they hit sideways more often than they hit straight. We were forever finding extra balls in our fairways, and of course we didn't dare touch them, because they were all still in play.

I've managed to rip the covers of my balls. Which is why I should probably find a different ball to use. It's not like I've ever picked up a Vokey, after all.

if its a tournament, finish the hole unless I deam there is a significant damage and will call for a rules official. otherwise, in a casual round... whatever, play it

Like I said before, the Nike One Platinums usually retire themselves, I'll play a scuffed ball until it disappears. At 4 bucks a pop I'll play it until it's gone.

Craig next time your down here, you can get your NOP's for about $20 if you dont mind mint used. I forgot to get you over to the place in Tampa that does it.

One of the reasons why I asked about whether anyone's noticed any difference in ball flight is because I've noticed the different characteristics of old practice balls that I've hit on the driving range.

If a range ball is really old (worn dimples) & obviously in need replacement I've found it can do one of two things:

(1) when it's on the rise, it can wiggle crazily left & right like a snake on amphetamines; or

(2) start to rise as normal but all of a sudden stop climbing & drop out of the sky like a stone.​

In comparison, I wonder whether anyone has noticed (or knows) what a scuffed ball does; for example, whether:

(a) it causes an apparent hook or slice outcome; or

(b) it fails to climb; or

(c) it fails to get normal distance.​

Last edited:
(2) start to rise as normal but all of a sudden stop climbing & drop out of the sky like a stone.​

Brad-

That sounds like a limited distance ball. My local range just switched to those, and that is exactly what they do. I've found that they are typically labeled "PRACTICE" with red stripes instead of "Range" or "Super Range".

They do that most noticeably with the driver and fairway woods.

Are scuff marks bad for a ball?

:act-up:

they are good for baseballs, (if you are a pitcher) that's why many pitchers have been caught with sand paper, and razor blades in their gloves,... so I'd have to say they can only be bad for golf balls,...

Back