duane

Reaction score
Handicap
i really enjoy watching this guy play golf ... he has not one once of finesse in his game ... i guess he is more of a "pounder" ...

he just swung his sand wedge as hard as i swing my driver ... :laugh:

Are you sure on that, not one ounce? Not to say you didn't see what you saw, but I think many of his iron/wedge shots are very fluid.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s8SzzR3p8Q8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s8SzzR3p8Q8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Are you sure on that, not one ounce? Not to say you didn't see what you saw, but I think many of his iron/wedge shots are very fluid.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s8SzzR3p8Q8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s8SzzR3p8Q8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

juile,

that was probably his first ball for the morning ... even the pros need a warm up ball or two ... :smile:

ps...

just for the record, it was meant as a compliment ... roflmbo

That's fine, just discussing...from what I recall, the video is a fair representation of how he usually plays, but I'm up for being corrected.

Spoiler
Julie :love:s Camillo.

I saw Camilo play in Maui this year, he's one of my favorite golfers. But his game is amazing, he kills the ball, and hits it pure like everytime. His weedge game is solid, he just needs to have the putter be a little more consistent.

Camilo kills the ball, but when you are strong as he is, you can wind up and swing as hard as you want and still have the strength to keep everything together.
I think he hits his 8-iron something like 180 yards...LOL.

Camilo kills the ball, but when you are strong as he is, you can wind up and swing as hard as you want and still have the strength to keep everything together.

The amazing thing when I watched him in Hawaii, was that he never hit his 8 iron full out, he hit a lot of 3/4 knockdown shots and stuff. He had so many putts for birdie that day, but his putting was off.

Yeah, its amazing how easy this game becomes when you hit the ball as far as he does. Par 4s become pretty easy when you are driving the ball 330-350 yards.

i follow him alot here at the wachovia championship in charlotte, and he is some kind of talented ... not only does he hit it long, but its like a laser beam shot at a target type accurate ... :clapp:

Yeah, its amazing how easy this game becomes when you hit the ball as far as he does. Par 4s become pretty easy when you are driving the ball 330-350 yards.

I think I saw him his driver maybe 5 times. He hit his 3 wood 260-280, it was amazing.

He isnt a very big guy either, but he creates a lot of torque in his golfswing.

He and AK are 5'9" or so, based on standing next to them. I think both him and AK get a little too much slack, I don't think they are 5'10". But if they are, they are barely making that.

Yeah, thats a little shorter than the average American male.

Being a good golfer has nothing to with size, it's all about having the correct technique. I find it funny when I read posts from folks who state something like "i'm 6' 7" & weigh 300 lbs & have massive 25" biceps, I can pound the ball all day 330 yds because I am so huge":D

How big is Davis Love lll, Camilo as pointed out isn't big but can sure knock the piss outta a ball. I wish I had 1/20th of the talent any of the pro's have.

Yeah, thats a little shorter than the average American male.

It amazing the sizes of some of the guys on tour, weather they be big or smaller. Like Boo is HUGE, and his caddy is even bigger!

Being a good golfer has nothing to with size, it's all about having the correct technique. I find it funny when I read posts from folks who state something like "i'm 6' 7" & weigh 300 lbs & have massive 25" biceps, I can pound the ball all day 330 yds because I am so huge":D

How big is Davis Love lll, Camilo as pointed out isn't big but can sure knock the piss outta a ball. I wish I had 1/20th of the talent any of the pro's have.

I agree 100% with your post! And I especially agree with the bolded part, an it's one of the reasons I love golf. I'm 5'4" 125 pounds, so hockey and soccer and such are harder for me to play, but not golf.

Being tall does help though because you can swing in a wider arc, giving you more time to build up clubhead speed.
Not to mention having longer arms allows you to have more leverage, allow you to swing the club faster.
You are right in that making solid contact is much more important than how strong you are.
In my case, Im 5'10" and about 180 pounds, plus I lift weights, so Im pretty strong and I actually find that I hit the ball farther when I focus on slowing things down and only swinging at 75%.

He definatley hits a strong ball, but i believe there is a lot of fluid in his shot. That being said i have to agree with Julie. Just his muscular build allows more power into his shoulder turn with using the same amount of effort others would use to go not near as far.

I had the opportunity to play with him in a pro-am the year he was on the Nationwide Tour. I had no idea who he was at the time. I saw the name on the cart and knew he was from a foreign land. Then I saw a guy walk over to the range in a light blue shirt and yellow pants and knew it was him. I have played in pro-ams several times and he was far and away the best pro I have ever played with. Not just talent wise, but just his overall demeanor and niceness as we played. He was just a lot of fun to play with and made it fun for the group.

He had never been to the course and had only played it the day before. I figured he would want to hit extra shots and really use it as a practice round. I even asked at one point and he just said he had it figured out. I think he knew that he just had a year on that tour and he would be up on the big tour.

I took the next couple of days off work and followed him each day. You could tell he could play, he just wasn't very consistent at the time. I think he shot 66-72-72-66, something like that. Finished about middle of the pack. The great thing about the Nationwide Tour is that no one is there, especially on Thursday and Friday. My son went with me one day and they were waiting for a ruling on the green so he and one other guy putted out and he just came up to where we were watching, sat down and started talking to us. After the round he signed a ball and gave it to my boy. My wife went with me over the weekend and between the first and second holes he walks right up to her and introduces himself as he was heading to the tee. He would chat with us walking between holes like I had know him for years. After the Sunday round he signed some stuff for me as we talked in the parking lot. I told him he had a fan for life, and I keep up with him every time he is playing.

It is hard to tell on TV sometimes, not sure if he even does it anymore, but back then he had a little hitch at the top of his back swing. It was like he would take the club back and stop the club, then release the lower body and the club would follow. For his smaller frame, that generated a ton of power.

Wow, very cool story, Cards! Thanks for sharing!

Back