How do I hit better shots from the fairway with a 3-wood?

Badger_Golfer

Reaction score
Handicap
Any advice for hitting better shots off the deck with a 3-wood? I struggle with this shot. Usually I end up topping the ball and having it dribble about 50 yards down the fairway.
Id greatly appreciate any advice you can give on setup, addressing the ball and whatever else you think would help me figure this shot out.
Thanks! :D

Start with the set up. Make sure that the ball is positioned just inside the heal of your front foot. You want to make a swing similar to a driver and try to "sweep" the ball versus trapping the ball like you would with an iron. The big thing to work on is your angle of attack and where the club is delivering the blow from. I want you to work hard on staying down and through the shot with a 3 wood. If you are right handed I want you to work on swinging the 3 wood down the first base line so your arms can reach full extension out away from your body through impact. One other thing I want you to work on is your tempo. Most people that I work with try and get more out of a 3 wood than they really can. Slow the swing down and really work to find the center of the club face. The ball will jump! Don't try and kill it just put a good smooth swing on it and lets see how it goes.

(By the way andy, I like your 1st and 3d base hypotheticals. I've been trying to think 3d base line on my irons and it's got me hitting much more from the inside out.)

WSE that is great to hear. I hope that with that more in to out swing plane you are starting to strike it a little better. I am glad that you have found a little something to help you.

Ok, I will work on that. Thank you!

Back