Ballybunion Golf Club (Old Course) - Ballybunion, Co. Kerry, Ireland

DDBowdoin

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
This summer I had the pleasure of traveling to Ireland. It was my third time there, but my first golf trip to the Erin Isle. Kerry is home to some of the finest courses in the world, but only one course holds a dear place in my heart. I knew if there was one place I needed to see it was Ballybunion. It is truly a piece of history and I enjoyed every second of it. We were fortunate to have a beautiful day and the winds were somewhat calm. This also happened to be my first experience with true links style golf. The course is truly a gem and is the greatest course I have ever played.

I could go through every hole but I'd rather let you see what I saw. I hope you enjoy these pictures. If you find yourself looking for a world class golf vacation look no further than Ireland. Ballybunion, Lahinch, Tralee, and Waterville are all located on the southwest coast and conveniently located near Shannon Airport.

Endless Shaved Banks, Ballybunion has a healthy mix of large and small greens

2900312916_1b6807c322_b.jpg

The famous 17th hole, viewed from the teebox... death via dunes to the left, Atlantic Ocean to the right

2899483195_6b96d0e9fb_b.jpg

17th Green

2899492843_09c3e42fdf_b.jpg

Just a view of the course... stunning

2899474231_51bd9d45c5_b.jpg

looks like so much fun. how did the grass in ireland compare to the grass here. like not a particular type, just in general. were there any noticable differences?

honestly... it's really hard for me to compare because, at least the fairways, were in such good condition I have yet to play a course here in the states that compares to Ballybunion.

the rough, forget about that... on the 18th hit probably the 7 iron of my life out of the rough. As soon as I made contact I had to turn away, I thought I broke my wrist for sure.

Beautiful photos DDBowdoin (to be sure, to be sure) :wink:

That is just gorgeous!

we came away with some amazing weather... they had the wettest summer on record this year. I was there for two weeks towards and the end of the September and not a drop of rain while I was there.

400 dollars in Gore-Tex gear was a wasted purchase...

400 dollars in Gore-Tex gear was a wasted purchase...

I promise you--you'll use the Gore-Tex. I have yet to wear my rain suit on a golf course, but it is very handy for attending my kid's chilly, wet football games.

He just did a review on Gore Tex on the front page.

He just did a review on Gore Tex on the front page.

Read it--I just haven't connected all the real names with the user names yet.

I figured that.

I figured that.

Oh thanks--I hate to think I'm THAT easy to figure out. :glasses-nerdy: A woman likes to think she has some air of mystery, after all...

Is this better...
Your as exotic as they come...An enigma.

Is this better...
Your as exotic as they come...An enigma.

A riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma?

Oh goodie--now I'm Joseph Stalin. :mean:

Never mind me--it's too early to be this puckish. Let me go do some real work.

Claire,
This is real work.

I have to sneak my posts in... my boss is a real prude!

I'll see if I can upload some pictures tonight of Lahinch Golf Club... I'm maxing out my image servers online, roughly 7-8MB per image

Back