provisional

Could Care Less
Reaction score
Handicap
10+/-
I was golfing on a new (for me) course yesterday. I was on the last hole, a par 4, figuring I had a lock on a round in the 70s. A nice drive down the fair way, and I am feeling even better. I can break 80 every now and then, but it is even more special to me to break 80 on a course I have never played before. I get to my ball, see the yardage stake, pull my 150 yard club, align myself, and hit a great shot to my target. As soon as I see my ball flight I know someting is pretty much wrong. I watch my ball fly way over, past the green, and disappear down a hill. My first thought was I had grabbed the wrong club, which I have done before. (I get my 6, and 9 iron mixed up sometimes) Nope, I had the right club. I look around, and then it dawns on me I had misread the yardage stake. I was actually only 100 yards +/- from the hole. Yep. I was not paying attention, and was a dummy on that one. But, there is more. It seems I actually was looking at a 150 stake. It just happened to be for the other fairway. After an unplayable lie, a bad pitch, a chip, and 4 (??) putts, I wind up with an 80 for my troubles. I walked off that green chuckling to myself :D :confused2:

Oh man, that really sucks.

at least you laughed about it...

I have done this but the other way around- I pulled my 100 yard club at the 150 marker once. I then looked in amazement as my "approach" shot landed in the fairway a good ways from the green. Guess who bought the beer after that round.

Agreed- dumb mistake. But it could happen to any of us, and HOW FRUSTRATING!

The other day, I was chipping from off the green. It should have been a simple short chip, almost a bump and run, except I grabbed my gap wedge instead of my lob wedge and ran it 8 feet past the hole. They aren't even the same model of wedge. How could I not notice that???

:dohanim:

The other day, I was chipping from off the green. It should have been a simple short chip, almost a bump and run, except I grabbed my gap wedge instead of my lob wedge and ran it 8 feet past the hole. They aren't even the same model of wedge. How could I not notice that???

:dohanim:
Too many beers?
or was the question rhetorical?

Too many beers?
or was the question rhetorical?

It was definitely rhetorical. The answer, of course, is that only a moron would not notice.

Sadly, I can't even blame the mistake on alcohol consumption.

It was definitely rhetorical. The answer, of course, is that only a moron would not notice.

Sadly, I can't even blame the mistake on alcohol consumption.

thats m favorite excuse. or the cart girl distracted me...

Pulled a similar move last week while playing an executive course with my wife. 145 yd par 3, figure I will use my 8 iron. Swing & hit the ball great & it sails dead straight & promptly lands about 30 yds short of the green. "How the hell could that be?" I muttered until I looked at the club. Accidently grabbed my gap wedge instead of the 8 iron, I even thought to myself while in the address position that it looked like a lot of loft for an 8 iron.

Pulled a similar move last week while playing an executive course with my wife. 145 yd par 3, figure I will use my 8 iron. Swing & hit the ball great & it sails dead straight & promptly lands about 30 yds short of the green. "How the hell could that be?" I muttered until I looked at the club. Accidently grabbed my gap wedge instead of the 8 iron, I even thought to myself while in the address position that it looked like a lot of loft for an 8 iron.

And you didn't notice that you were hunched over a lot for an 8 iron?

I've been known to mix up my 9 and 6 irons (another reason to play a 6h!) and have found myself thinking (not hard enough) that my stance at address felt weird for the club. Duh.

I once tried to hit a chip with a gap wedge from a downhill lie down onto the short side of a green sloping away from me because that was the club I had in my hand and I was too lazy to walk back to my bag to get my 60. Predictably the ball rolled off the green. That is what laziness gets you- a bogey.

I've done the 6 for 9 thing twice (I was gong to call it "the 6/9 thing," but that's getting dangerously close to fodder for an off-color response from someone). Each time I pulled 9 thinking it was the 6. Twice. I can understand it happening once, but who let's it happen again? Talk about an idiot. Anyawy, this is why I did not say anything in the BB PEI thread about Gerina's 52/56° wedge error.

Playing a flop just for fun when I should just bump and run with an 8 iron.

Playing a flop just for fun when I should just bump and run with an 8 iron.

I don't quite play a flop- but hit a 52 up to a couple feet short and then let it run the last couple feet. I play that shot a lot when I think most people would play the bump and run just because I have a lot better feel for the distance with that shot. You look like an idiot when you catch the ball thin and sending it bounding across the green, though.

i mistaken my 55* for 60* and flew the green by 10 yards! so yes it happens more than you think.

Worst you can have is having an easy approach with a wedge and shank.

Did that on Saturday on the 6th hole. 90 yards out and totally skulled it about 150 onto the 2nd hold green while 2 guys were putting.

I blamed it on my brother-in-law.

Worst you can have is having an easy approach with a wedge and shank.

Done that twice lately. I'm talking about shanking a CHIP!

Here is a dumb mistake I made yesterday- leave your 52 somewhere on the first two holes and not realize it until the 5th hole. Good one there, jerk. Thing is gone now. I figured it would have been returned, being lefty and all, but it's not.

I once tried to hit a chip with a gap wedge from a downhill lie down onto the short side of a green sloping away from me because that was the club I had in my hand and I was too lazy to walk back to my bag to get my 60. Predictably the ball rolled off the green. That is what laziness gets you- a bogey.

sometimes it gets you even worse than that I wouldn't be squaking over a bogey anytime let me tell you.

Back