Ryan555

Reaction score
Handicap
So, I was on the practice tee today before my round and I was doing my normal - topping my driver, and looked down at it real quick between shots and noticed that there looked to be a crack on the bottom of my club. What do you guys think, is this an actual crack, or is the paint just chipped off? I know I needed to eventually update my driver and finally get a fitting done, but I wasn't wanting to need to do it now.

PB140496.jpg

PB140491.jpg

PB140489.jpg

Any suggestions, if it is a crack?

That looks like a serious crack to me

Tanks for the quick thought. That's what I was thinking when I first saw it but was wondering if maybe some paint hadn't just chipped away and made it look worse than it is. I have emailed Callaway to see if they make any suggestions on it. Hopefully I will hear back in a day or two and what I might be able to do with it.

Tanks for the quick thought. That's what I was thinking when I first saw it but was wondering if maybe some paint hadn't just chipped away and made it look worse than it is. I have emailed Callaway to see if they make any suggestions on it. Hopefully I will hear back in a day or two and what I might be able to do with it.

I think at this point since the warranty probably ran out, it's time for an upgrade and a fitting haha, if you want to stick with callaway, in light of their new releases, you may be able to snag one of the 2011 or 2012 models on the cheap side

I think at this point since the warranty probably ran out, it's time for an upgrade and a fitting haha, if you want to stick with callaway, in light of their new releases, you may be able to snag one of the 2011 or 2012 models on the cheap side

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. But, I did just buy it last February online, so, we'll see what they say. If they can't do anything, oh well. I don't expect them to, but I thought I'd go ahead and ask anyway. I can just play my 3 wood until next year, as that's what I've been doing the last couple of months anyway, since I can't seem to even find the face of my driver as it is.

You can find these in great shape on the bay for $50ish if you don't want to pay for newer technology. Plus, stick with what works if you're happy with this setup.

You can find these in great shape on the bay for $50ish if you don't want to pay for newer technology. Plus, stick with what works if you're happy with this setup.

I was happy with it, until July or so this year when all of a sudden I couldn't even get it in the air. Might be time to just hit Callaway Pre Owned and see what they have.

I was happy with it, until July or so this year when all of a sudden I couldn't even get it in the air. Might be time to just hit Callaway Pre Owned and see what they have.

Did you buy it new online in feb?

'Wingin' it with Tapatalk

That I did.

well if you bought it brand new, then it should have some sort of warranty I would hope, maybe they'll send you the 2013 equivalent.

for some reason I assumed it was bought in 2005 haha

well if you bought it brand new, then it should have some sort of warranty I would hope, maybe they'll send you the 2013 equivalent.

for some reason I assumed it was bought in 2005 haha

Yeah, it would probably be easier on me if it had been purchased then. I've never had anything current year, and got a steal on this thing when I got it last year. The big drawback, even if it under warranty is that I don't have the receipt for it anymore. Like I said, if they can do something for me, great, but I don't expect them to.

Yeah, it would probably be easier on me if it had been purchased then. I've never had anything current year, and got a steal on this thing when I got it last year. The big drawback, even if it under warranty is that I don't have the receipt for it anymore. Like I said, if they can do something for me, great, but I don't expect them to.

Well i've heard some amazing stories about Callaway and I hope they do something for you. Did you register it with them using the serial number when you bought it?

That looks like a crack. Does it sound different?

I get most of my clubs at Golftown or at my proshop, one of the bonuses of that is even if I don't have a receipt they have the sale on file and can do warranty claims.

That all said, it's always nice to have an excuse to go get a new driver. If I was in that spot (and often I wish I was) I'd audition the hell outta everything.

Well i've heard some amazing stories about Callaway and I hope they do something for you. Did you register it with them using the serial number when you bought it?

I never did register it. Wish I had, but just never thought about it before. Might have learned my lesson here.

That looks like a crack. Does it sound different?

I get most of my clubs at Golftown or at my proshop, one of the bonuses of that is even if I don't have a receipt they have the sale on file and can do warranty claims.

That all said, it's always nice to have an excuse to go get a new driver. If I was in that spot (and often I wish I was) I'd audition the hell outta everything.

Yeah, it's always nice to have the excuse, but, even if I get the excuse, with the holidays coming up, I won't have the funds for it, so auditions won't even start until sometime late spring or early summer for an early fall purchase.

I see you have an IMIX model. If Callaway doesn't do something for you (and I've heard some great stories about them helping customers), just buy an IMIX head. If you've been hitting it well, your shaft is probably a good fit for you.

Pick any head you want. I've had the FT9, FT-IZ, FT-IQ, Octane and Razr Hawk all in IMIX with various shafts. If you want some opinions, PM me.

I have gotten so cheap I just can't buy any brand new club there are so many great deals on year old or used clubs I can save enough to play Pebble.

So, for a little update, I did get a response from Callaway today. They told me to call them, because they wanted to discuss this issue with me. After explaining everything to the rep on the phone, he said that "Unfortunately, or, maybe not unfortunately, we don't carry the Ft-5 anymore. The only thing I can do for you is to exchange this out with a new Razr Fit." I guess I sounded really excited on the phone because he then said that yeah, he didn't think I'd be too disappointed in that. I really like Callaway equipment, but could never afford it unless it was on some sort of very serious sale. Now, they have a customer for life, after they treated me like this. Just thought I'd pass on this little update. Thanks for all of the input everyone.

That's awesome!You will love the Razar Fit.

That's awesome!You will love the Razar Fit.

Hoping so. I've never had a chance to hit it, so I may go out and try one this weekend, along with the fairway wood, as I am in need of a new one of those as well. Has anybody else gone from Ft-5 to Razr fit? Just trying to get an idea of how much higher it might launch.

Great update! I love warrantees these days. Getting that call that my entire iron set was being replaced was a happy moment for me this week, so I know just how excited you must have sounded on that call!

Great update! I love warrantees these days. Getting that call that my entire iron set was being replaced was a happy moment for me this week, so I know just how excited you must have sounded on that call!

Entire iron set? Wow, you must have been 100 times more excited than I was. I think my wife already wants me to shut up about it.

Entire iron set? Wow, you must have been 100 times more excited than I was. I think my wife already wants me to shut up about it.

Yeah, my wife gave me the ol "Good for you"

Im not sure if I had read it on this forum or another, but apparently there were problems with the Burner 09 irons with a stock stiff shaft. It was too thin for players with higher swing speeds and was snapping at the hosel. I had four break before a guy I was playing with said he had the same issue and they reshafted his with true temper s300s for free. So, I had about a month or two left on my warranty (and no love anymore for my broken burners after so many club heads flying off) and I brought them into golftown who shipped them all back to TM. They called and asked if they could send me a new set of RBZ irons, and they arrived Tuesday, all fitted with new TTDG S300 shafts. Played with them today and tied my PB, so they seem okay by me.

Sorry to hijack your thread. I'm excited for you getting a new driver, let us know how it works out.

Yeah, my wife gave me the ol "Good for you"

Im not sure if I had read it on this forum or another, but apparently there were problems with the Burner 09 irons with a stock stiff shaft. It was too thin for players with higher swing speeds and was snapping at the hosel. I had four break before a guy I was playing with said he had the same issue and they reshafted his with true temper s300s for free. So, I had about a month or two left on my warranty (and no love anymore for my broken burners after so many club heads flying off) and I brought them into golftown who shipped them all back to TM. They called and asked if they could send me a new set of RBZ irons, and they arrived Tuesday, all fitted with new TTDG S300 shafts. Played with them today and tied my PB, so they seem okay by me.

Sorry to hijack your thread. I'm excited for you getting a new driver, let us know how it works out.

No worries. That is an awesome story. It's nice to see that some companies still practice proper customer service. I've already called my brothers and told them that they are going to have to join me for a round before it's gets to cold just so I can at least get one round in on it before the season completely ends.

Callaway is great with their CS. I had an FT-5 break almost exactly like that a little over a year ago.
They replaced the club with the FT-5 iMix.

Back