Needing advice on groove freshening tools

darnall

Reaction score
Handicap
I have a Nike 56* and a Vokey 60* wedge, both of which have seen years and years of play. The grooves on both are nowhere near as pronounced or visible as the ones on any of the irons I currently play or on the last set I used. They are visibly worn. I get hardly any backspin on either club, even with full swings, but my AMP GW and even PW will drop and stop or come back towards me a significant amount.

I got on ebay and found hundreds of different handheld groove cutting/sharpening tools, ranging in price from 2 bucks to 40 bucks. Of course, the higher priced ones had all kinds of claims about their superiority over the cheaper ones. Some have multiple cutter tips which allegedly allow them to work on different types of grooves (square, V, etc)

SO obviously the question is.... is there a difference? Will all of them accomplish the same thing or do the higher priced ones tend to do a better job? DO any of you guys have any experience with a particular tool that would lead you to recommend it or give it a bad review?

Thanks in advance for sharing any experience/knowledge.

I have tried a lot of them and in the end find that most do a similar job. What I will tell you is that depending on the course and grass you are playing from, your spin will come from technique first, ball second and grooves third in my opinion.

I have tried a lot of them and in the end find that most do a similar job. What I will tell you is that depending on the course and grass you are playing from, your spin will come from technique first, ball second and grooves third in my opinion.

I realize that man. If it weren't for the amount of stop and comeback I get on my fresher but less lofted clubs I wouldn't even worry about tinkering with my wedges. But man are they wore down a ton....

Buy new wedges and save yourself the stress!

You may not care but you can "freshen" the grooves too much causing them to be illegal. And those tools are sharp so wear gloves if/when you do it.

Buy new wedges and save yourself the stress!

Stress? This is fun to do.

If one as very good quality wedges, already fitted to ones game, why get new ones that will probably not be as good to play with than what he is already used to.
I could see this being necessary maybe once a year, depending on how much one plays. Specially for some high quality and expensive wedge clubs.

I used the X6 sharpener for my old wedges, they were always well sharpened with this thing, but I don't use it anymore since my
Wedges are all conforming jow

Tapatalk on iPhone 5

Back