SkyCaddie Breeze Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Really enjoyed that review. Sounds like a solid product.

TapAhoy!

Solid review on this device Jake!

Aesthetically speaking, it is a very sharp looking unit - the white pops very well. From your review, I really liked the sound of the "no touch" throughout the round from the point of powering up and the battery save feature. The battery save feature is really quite smart.

I understand the need for the membership fees, I just think that it can get quite confusing with different package add on's, etc. It sounds fairly straightforward but I remember reading how people simply have a hard time determining what they will be paying and what they get because the varying membership levels, etc.

All in all, a solid product.

Nice review. The Breeze looks solid.

Admittedly, I have been reluctant to look at GPS devices because of the membership fees associated with them. When you're spending $200-$300 for the device already, it's a little frustrating to continue purchasing membership fees.

Jake, you mentioned that you understand the membership fees a little better after your research. What were the benefits that you saw?

I like the simplicity, and that you can add or remove extras. I'm just not enamored of recurring fees. I understand the logic behind them, but for now that's a deal breaker for me.

• Admin
Nice review. The Breeze looks solid.

Admittedly, I have been reluctant to look at GPS devices because of the membership fees associated with them. When you're spending $200-$300 for the device already, it's a little frustrating to continue purchasing membership fees.

Jake, you mentioned that you understand the membership fees a little better after your research. What were the benefits that you saw?

ATL,
I have been in your camp for a while. I look at these fees a lot like I look at cell phones. A cell phone company reduces (eats) part of the cost of a cell phone because they know you have to continue to pay a fee for the service (which they own). SkyCaddie's GPS units are close to the same (in some cases higher, in some cases lower) than other units. I was a longtime user, but moved on to other devices with no fees that offered the same (or similar) services.

P4B's review does make me want to check this one out, but the model, just bugs me.

Nice review. If I ever move away from the golfshots gps app on my phone, I will be looking for something with the features you highlighted. (Minus the yearly membership fees. Still not sure I am sold on that).

ATL,
I have been in your camp for a while. I look at these fees a lot like I look at cell phones. A cell phone company reduces (eats) part of the cost of a cell phone because they know you have to continue to pay a fee for the service (which they own). SkyCaddie's GPS units are close to the same (in some cases higher, in some cases lower) than other units. I was a longtime user, but moved on to other devices with no fees that offered the same (or similar) services.

P4B's review does make me want to check this one out, but the model, just bugs me.

The cell phone analogy makes sense. I suppose that if I used a GPS device more frequently (I throw there are a lot of THPers who play exponentially more than I do) that the fees could be more understandable.

Sounds stupid, but the fact that it's white instantly makes me want it. Really does sound like a great unit. I thought this was an excellent review, Jake.

I have found more and more often the past two years, i use a GPS for two big reasons, one is what to hit off Tee (driver,3wood, iron), and second the over all length of green. After that it's feel for me, i never use it for really pin point stuff like trying to dial in the pin as i see it.

I like the look of this, and maybe this year will look to upgrade.

Last edited:
another solid review by Jake.
the white color and vibrant screen really jump out, but i'm immediately turned away by the fees.
the battery saver is impressive though...

Excellent review Jake...maybe I'm missing it on their website, but while the product page tells you what the upgradable features are, it looks like you have to have a membership to get the pricing information.

Great review, if it didn't require a membership I would replace using my iPhone with it.

Nice review, Jake. Well done buddy! For a tech nerd, these type of devices keep having me interested, especially when I hear that the battery life is good and the use of the device is simple. Makes it simple to use during a round, and reliable.

Excellent review Jake...maybe I'm missing it on their website, but while the product page tells you what the upgradable features are, it looks like you have to have a membership to get the pricing information.

yea i was looking into the prices for the upgrade and could not find it with a quick search.

I have been using golflogix on my iphone, and it's had it's good days and bad days.

Thanks buddy!

You have to dig around the site a bit but you can find pricing on the plans without actually starting the membership process. Here's a link that should take you right to their pricing plans. http://www.skygolf.com/plans/SimpleDevicePlans.aspx

You mentioned the first time you used it, it took a long time to find satellites. Was this an all the time thing, or did it just happen the first time you used it? I know they do take some time, but it sounds like this took much longer than normal to pick them up.

The accuracy sounds good, which is the most important thing with a GPS! Battery life sounds good too.

You mentioned the first time you used it, it took a long time to find satellites. Was this an all the time thing, or did it just happen the first time you used it? I know they do take some time, but it sounds like this took much longer than normal to pick them up.

The accuracy sounds good, which is the most important thing with a GPS! Battery life sounds good too.
To be 100% honest with you after that first time I started powering it on THEN going in and checking in with the pro shop and getting everything ready so by the time I got back out and ready to play it was where I needed it to be. So doing it that way I didn't worry about whether or not it was taking a while, I had other things going on and it was ready when I needed it.

You mentioned that you did not have to supply a credit card when registering the device for the 30 day trial. Does this mean that you could continue to use the device after the free trial, just not get map updates?

Nicely written Jake. I love my SGX and would be lost without it. I think the Breeze is a CLEAN looking unit for sure.

Excellent read and great breakdown of the product buddy.

Great review! Looks like a solid product at a good price point. I love my laser, and don't think I'll look at anything new for a while, but would gladly suggest this to friends who are in the market.

I love how easy it is to read the yardage and how quick it responds. Very clean looking and user friendly GPS device.

I've been a SkyCaddie owner/user for nearly 5 years. I own an SGX, fancy big brother to the Breeze. I don't mind paying the yearly membership fees because what their units do, they do very well. Their membership fees, while they claim 'applied toward building and maintaining our SkyCourse golf maps' is just marketing malarkey. I've been patiently waiting for nearly 5 years for 5 courses to be mapped. Not a single one has been mapped by them. This unit is effectively a brick for those courses and unusable. Do they allow an end user to user their available mapping legend to do their own? No, only front center and back. I'm not in a remote location either. All courses are less than an hour from a City with a 7 million population.

There's been one update in a year and a half. One for my SGX, and none for my SG5, so that claim from them (critical software information) should also be taken with a grain of salt.

It's a good unit if everything works for you right now. Do not expect any updates or upgrades, or Customer Service. They do have their own forum for users, but are very heavy handed. Posts are routinely edited or deleted completely, or purged after 30 days so reported problems completely disappear in ether.

Don't believe me, go read their rules written by them for the forum.

great looking unit i did enjoy my Skycaddie and the service was great but i just don't feel the need to pay for a GPS service when there are so many great ones for free.

Bumping this thread because I just bought one from a friend of mine. Got it from him the other day and put it in play this past weekend. I've been going back and forth between a laser finder and a GPS. I read the reviews on this and really like the look of it. Just like everyone else, my main gripe was having to pay for the subscription every year. I read what JB wrote about how they send their people out every year to remap courses and felt like if that is the case then I am getting my money's worth.

So I picked this unit up from my buddy and used the free part of it before I do any upgrading. I have owned a sky caddie before but never renewed the membership. Tis unit is very easy to use. It was as simple as turning it on and you're ready to play golf! I played nine. On Saturday at a course around my house that does not have GPS and was really excited to use the Breeze. I charged it on the way up and when I got into the parking lot I powered on the unit and hit the prompt to find nearby courses. In a matter of seconds it found the course I was one and proceeded to take me to the first tee. I was blown away by how fast it was. I have owned the SG3 before and that thing was incredibly slow, even at its very best.

I have not yet tried to transfer over the unit to my name nor have I purchased any upgrade packs yet but I plan on doing so before the season is in full swing. I do like that even in the free mode it still gives you everything you need. Well at least everything I need. I do like that if you turn the unit to the left it shows you a full score card and if you turn it to the right it gives you the yardage in a bigger form. I don't have GPS on my phone so I have nothing to compare its accuracy to yet. The tees at the course were pushed up so I can't tell how accurate they were against the score card either. I will have more on this as I upgrade and use it more often.

Back