What am I doing wrong?

Oregon Jack

Let's real 'er back in.
Reaction score
Handicap
8ish?
Lately i've been having trouble with pulling the ball.. My dad says i need to stretch out more, but when i do that i dip my head down (first swing in second vid) and thats never a pretty sight. Here are a couple vids from last night. Target is the post in the bottom right corner.
http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums...5B9CE41F-805-00000082E2A2FECC_zps99a6597f.mp4
http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums...FF452319-805-0000007CECFF4303_zps0478ba13.mp4
PS: my get-mad shots were because i was either pulling it, not making solid contact, or slicing it, and this was after a long day..

Tough to see in normal speed since the golf swing only lasts about a second or so.

I'll say one thing though, your hips fire really fast. Good that you have it, but bad when you fire them too fast and the rest of you can't keep up. Contact can be erratic and lead to all sorts of fun results.

You've got a really nice swing.

As Mward mentioned you fire your hips really fast, perhaps it's just a timing issue? Just throwing out that idea as I can't really tell from the videos.

Pretty good move there. Just needs some tweaks.

inar01_watson.jpg

Your left hand is very weak...even weaker than the one on the right above. You want it to look more like the one on the left. So just move it over so that your hand/thumb pad sits on top of the club and you can see at least 2-3 knuckles when you setup to the ball.

Spine is too vertical at set up. Just set up as you normally would then bump your hips towards the target about 4 inches. This will get ya lined up better and make it easier to make a correct swing.

Now with stronger grip and better set up...just make some half to 3/4 swings focusing on keep your arms in front of your body throughout the swing. Like chest high to chest high and the ball flight should be better. Hips are too fast...no need to slow them down...just need to get arms more in front (3/4 swing) and really speed the ARMS through impact.

It may just be the camera angle, but it looks like your feet are aimed quite a bit left of target, but sometimes that's just a camera angle thing. The one thing that I run into when I start pulling shots is my shoulders open up to quick, usually from me reaching for the ball, that's when I need to stand taller and get the ball a bit closer.

One dril and/or tip I try and do is swing more right, feel like you are swing up from home plate to first base if the ball was at home plate.

Having seen your swing before and assuming set up, etc., are normal I would suggest you double check your swing plane. You normally get past parallel at the top. Has that leaked to be an across the line position? If so, that could promote compensations such as an over the top move, which is commonly associated with the intermittent lefts & rights you describe.

Everything I suggested attacks these problems at their root cause. They are not big changes and will not destroy his swing, they should improve his swing immediately.

Everything I suggested attacks these problems at their root cause. They are not big changes and will not destroy his swing, they should improve his swing immediately.

+1, implanting a grip change or minor setup change is much easier than worrying about plane.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

hey Jack.

you dont seem to have any TARGET FOCUS.

You need to pick a target and tell yourself what sort of shot your going to hit, a low punch into the wind, high fade etc. Then when you address the ball ask yourself if your setup matches your picture.
Otherwise your just hitting balls aimlessly into a field and your body doesnt know what its ment to be doing.

Next time your at the range pick a target but be specific aim for the 5 on the 150 marker for example. then take a practice swing and keep the target in your head see if it matches up. If not then aim a little left or right until the feel of the swing matches the intended shot. Always swing to the target and not at the ball..

Your swing is pretty solid. You have a slight collapse in the left arm at the top of swing but so do a few really good players. I'd adjust your grip as MarcH pointed and make sure your alignment are solid. I would also look at your left shoulder getting behind the ball more. if you are on top of slightly in front the pulls will come into play. with your tempo this would be exaggerated. Other than that I would change a thing. Keep on doing what your doing.

Wow, wish I was that smooth and limber...fluid.

Lately i've been having trouble with pulling the ball.. My dad says i need to stretch out more, but when i do that i dip my head down (first swing in second vid) and thats never a pretty sight. Here are a couple vids from last night. Target is the post in the bottom right corner.
http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums...5B9CE41F-805-00000082E2A2FECC_zps99a6597f.mp4
http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums...FF452319-805-0000007CECFF4303_zps0478ba13.mp4
PS: my get-mad shots were because i was either pulling it, not making solid contact, or slicing it, and this was after a long day..

In the 2nd video, you start your backswing on an inside path and the point where you initially hinge your wrists shows this. For the first 12-18" of the start of your backswing, keep the club head in front of your hands by starting your backswing with the shoulders and let the arms and hands be quiet.

At the top of the backswing you have a slight cup in the left wrist. Keep that wrist in line with the forearm (even overcorrect a bit if needed and bend it inward till you get accustom to it) or it will close the club face at impact and cause a pull left or a cut. Graeme McDowell does this really well if you need a visual. Quite possibly, the grip-check that MarcH mentioned will aid in correcting this as well.

Good swing, good posture and good acceleration through the swing. Your just a tweak or two away from where it sounds like you want to be. Hang in there, it's a difficult sport...

Hard to say without slow motion, but I'd say your hips are to fast or your hands are to slow :D

What you could try, not as a quick fix, but as to get the right feel and speed for your hips is to open up your back leg. Take a duck stance, leave your front foot as it is, but open up the back. Do some swings like this to get the right feel, and then try normally again.

The second thing I'd focus on is your grip.

Oh...and...don't let the bad shots and bad days get to you. This is the hardest part, I do the same what you do, and I'm working on having only positive thoughts when ever I pick up a club, so I know...but you are still playing golf, and thats something that should make you happy, not frustrated. Enjoy your swings, if something doesn't work and you can't get it to work at that time, pick up a wedge and hone your chips or something. If a bad shot gets to you like that on a range, I can only imagine what it does to you on a course.

I think that it's the grip and that it doesn't seem like you're focused on a target. Seems like you're just hitting to hit. You have a great swing, but practice with a purpose.

After watching the vids I have to say I think you had a bad day. Sometimes with a swing that moves effortlessly through the zone if you are off in alignment or grip it will not work exactly the way you want.

Of like to see you move off the ball a little more which allow you to extend down the line more through impact.id say slow down your tempo but I know as you grow that dill get reigned in.

You turn your hips to fast and get them open to much on the down swing.

Try this.

Back