Adams V4 Idea hybrid iron set - just a little past beginner experience

AoxomxoA

Reaction score
Handicap
Long story short, coming back to the game after 10 years of fighting multiple myeloma cancer, with my 16 year old son who is just starting. I was a mid teen handicapper then, but feel like I'm relearning from scratch again. I'm a stout sized guy, but it doesn't translate into swing speed so I am currently a white tee player. When my son drug the clubs out of the garage that fateful day a month and a half ago, clubs were missing. But rather than raising a stink about where all of dad's clubs were I decided to treat myself to a fresh start.

Being fond of my Nickent Super Concordes back in the day, I was intrigued the the new hybrid/iron sets. Hybrids were very rare and exotic back then but I felt the 4-5 clubs in a hybrid might be a little easier than irons were for me now. We hit a couple of demo days and I found myself liking the look and initial feel from the Adams V4 iron set in the 4H-AW configuration.

A condition from the chemo drugs I've taken is fairly strong peripheral neuropathy in my large hands. They pretty buzz or worse 24/7, so I looked into a grip alternative and Adams was able to provide the set with Winn Excel Jumbo grips which I find quite comfortable over the harder stock grip.

I've lost quite a bit of muscle mass over the last 10 years, and while I've always been a reg flex swinger, my old clubs had Precision rifle shafts and they felt very 'heavy' to me now, so I chose the graphite shaft in reg flex.

Four weeks into the clubs and I have to say I am finding them very friendly to hit. I don't think I have a good reference to claim any kind of 'distance' achievements, but they are comfortable, I am finding consistent distance and more importantly contact. I like the dark profiles at address and they are nice and easy to swing with this configuration.

Distance is running from about 85-90yds. with the AW to about 155-160 with the 4H. Pretty even 10 yard intervals, I feel I can trust them.

I've been blessed with some great weather here lately and been dragging whomever I can out with me. Rounds have been consistently in the 90's with very few wayward shots. Most of strokes are lost right now from my meager distance off the tee, the occasional 3 wood duff, and more than anything, on/near the green.

When I get around 150 and in I feel pretty confident that the green is in play and that is a good feeling. Now just to get where 150 and in doesn't require 2 shots to get to so often!

I am very happy with these and am loving the game!

Thanks for the great info. Glad to hear they are helping you enjoy the game.

Congratulations on finding some sticks that work for you. I love adams gear, they have clubs for all different level of players.

I am thinking of picking up a 3H to replace the old Super Concorde 5W I am carrying now to fill out the bag.

Back